PDA

View Full Version : May

RyanPC
09-28-2003, 09:43 AM
Rating: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

In this brilliant psychological horror-thriller, Angela Bettis stars as the title character May, a shy and troubled girl looking for a soulmate. One day, she meets a young filmmaker named Adam (Jeremy Sisto), who seems ultimately perfect in May's eyes. At first, despite her attempts to attract his attention, he makes no note of her. While in a local cafe, he falls asleep and she takes advantage of her obsession with his hands by quietly walking up to him and gently caressing them against her face. She finds that he "likes weird" and they soon become more than just friends... until he finds how weird she really is and dumps her for another girl. Frustrated (although she doesn't give up so easily), she turns to lesbianism with her co-worker Polly (Anna Faris). Pushed to the edge by Adam ignoring her and finding Polly with another woman, May decides that the only way to find a friend is to make one.

The film starts out slow but really picks up momentum in the second half. The last fifteen or so minutes are tough to watch, but you can't take your eyes off the screen. Angela Bettis is superb as May, believably portraying a disturbed individual who has trouble trying to find herself. While the rest of the cast certainly impresses, Bettis's performance is most certainly the highlight and one of the reasons that this film is so creepy. MAY takes it's time setting up the characters and plot, which definitely benefits the film and makes it even more disturbing and unrelenting. While it stands on it's own as a great horror film, it is also a wonderful homage to past thrillers and fans will get a kick out of the many references to the films of Dario Argento. Overall, this is one excellent film and one that I recommend everyone see.

Hellbilly
09-28-2003, 09:55 AM
Great review and yes, MAY is awesome. Funny, dark & disturbing. Oh yeah, loved the Argento references in this movie. Good stuff :)

onebyone
09-29-2003, 04:55 AM
Good review and yeah, I love this movie with an unhealthy passion. I would have liked a few more extras on the dvd, but the quality is good and we get 2 seperate commentaries so I shouldn't complain. :glasses:

bslayer619
10-10-2003, 06:24 PM
Well I gotta pick this up next week. Well thats when I get paid. I did want to get this cuzz it looked totally different. And I love psychological stuff so...this should be fun. Can't wait till my friends and I have our movie watching this Tuesday. Last week was Versus. This week might have to be Scarface and the week after May:) If I can get away with it. Though way two different movies completely and my friend Mike doesn't really like the horror movies. So maybe I should just tell him it's a love story maybe that will carry his interest.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
10-10-2003, 08:52 PM
Good review Ryan!

I have not bought this one yet, but I did borrow a friends disc so that I could watch it. I think that May is fabulous. I totally agree that Angela Bettis put in a excellent performance.

If I do not buy this one soon, I will have to borrow it back from my friend, because I am already getting anxious to watch it again. :)

marioscido
10-11-2003, 04:20 AM
Great film! One of th best US horror films in a few years. I bumped into the crew of 'The Woods' today cycling home. Lucky McKee is shooting here in Montréal with Bruce Campbell.

bslayer619
10-20-2003, 10:25 AM
Whoa what a great movie! I just rented it today both my brother and I loved it. Watched May and Battle Royale all in day. Recently watching Matrix Reloaded but I can watch that later. Damn now I think I'll buy this soon:)

thegreeninferno
11-17-2003, 07:56 AM
Great movie...and review.
Way better than:
Freddy vs Jason
Cabin Fever
Willard
Wrong Turn

All of which I paid to see in the theater and enjoyed,
its just way too much to ask for intelligent horror at
the box office. I suppose I could have taken the train
to go see May downtown...cause my tightwad arse ain't gonna pay $18 for parking. Whatever!
I kid I kid....
for parking

dwatts
11-17-2003, 12:08 PM
-- The last fifteen or so minutes are tough to watch, but you can't take your eyes off the screen.--

It's a great movie, but there was nothing about it that was "tough to watch", imo. It was well done, with a great central performance. On the gore front, it's quite tame.

Atmims
11-17-2003, 05:51 PM
yeah, there was nothing at all touch to watch for me either.
I thought May was a decent movie, worth a rental. The DVD is damn expensive though, I wouldn't recommend buying it until you've seen it first.

dwatts
11-17-2003, 05:57 PM
I got the DVD from the used rack of Blockbuster for $10. It was worth that. The lead actress does an amazing job.

Agent Z
11-17-2003, 06:04 PM
The DVD is damn expensive though, I wouldn't recommend buying it until you've seen it first.

:lol: C'mon! I wouldn't get carried away now........

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=VDM008389 (Worst case scenerio...as it can be found cheaper on eBay)

Not every dvd has to be priced like a Little Caesar's pizza does it? ;)

Although I always agree that one should at least see the film before buying it....that goes without saying....for ANY film........... :)

Atmims
11-17-2003, 07:32 PM
:lol: Yeah, I guess your right. Anything over $15 is getting too expensive for me though. I just seen it as the type of movie that's not worth watching more than once or twice at the most even though it was a decent little movie.

Latency
11-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Short, informative and to the point. Nice review!. Now how about A/V quality and Extras ? Some good extras would seal the deal for me :) .

dwatts
11-17-2003, 10:03 PM
AV is EXCELLENT.

JW77
11-18-2003, 02:45 AM
Rented this a few weeks ago. Not a bad flick, and definitely a rare original horror movie.

Not quite sure what to make of the ending, though.

1. Take it literally. Did she really make her creature come to life?

2. She's batshit nuts, and it only came alive in her mind?

3. She's dead?

dwatts
11-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Huh, the ending didn't bother me at all. Was she nuts? Erm, yeah!

etale
11-22-2003, 07:58 PM
Rating: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

In this brilliant psychological horror-thriller, Angela Bettis stars as the title character May, a shy and troubled girl looking for a soulmate. One day, she meets a young filmmaker named Adam (Jeremy Sisto), who seems ultimately perfect in May's eyes. At first, despite her attempts to attract his attention, he makes no note of her. While in a local cafe, he falls asleep and she takes advantage of her obsession with his hands by quietly walking up to him and gently caressing them against her face. She finds that he "likes weird" and they soon become more than just friends... until he finds how weird she really is and dumps her for another girl. Frustrated (although she doesn't give up so easily), she turns to lesbianism with her co-worker Polly (Anna Faris). Pushed to the edge by Adam ignoring her and finding Polly with another woman, May decides that the only way to find a friend is to make one.

The film starts out slow but really picks up momentum in the second half. The last fifteen or so minutes are tough to watch, but you can't take your eyes off the screen. Angela Bettis is superb as May, believably portraying a disturbed individual who has trouble trying to find herself. While the rest of the cast certainly impresses, Bettis's performance is most certainly the highlight and one of the reasons that this film is so creepy. MAY takes it's time setting up the characters and plot, which definitely benefits the film and makes it even more disturbing and unrelenting. While it stands on it's own as a great horror film, it is also a wonderful homage to past thrillers and fans will get a kick out of the many references to the films of Dario Argento. Overall, this is one excellent film and one that I recommend everyone see.

I'll have to get it.
Thanks!

Rock
12-12-2003, 10:30 PM
Yes, very good movie and I too thought it was tough to watch in a couple of places, only because I know what it's like to be different and hate to see weak people (and animals) picked on...and, I have to admit, a part of me wanted to see her doll step out of its glass case and take a little walk!

RyanPC
12-21-2003, 04:37 AM
-- The last fifteen or so minutes are tough to watch, but you can't take your eyes off the screen.--

It's a great movie, but there was nothing about it that was "tough to watch", imo. It was well done, with a great central performance. On the gore front, it's quite tame.

Although it was tame, I still found it tough to watch. I've seen all sorts of movies, from Evil Dead to Nekromantik, but just the idea of what happened at the end when she builds her friend sickens me. The psychological intensity of the film also made it tough to watch for me. Nevertheless, the film was fantastic.

WhiteTrash2000
12-29-2003, 06:40 AM
The point was that in her own messed up little mind, she sacrificed her eye for this friend, and it came alive and comforted her...which was all she wanted. It didn't actually come alive, but she believed it did.

I condidered it one of the best films of the past couple of years. Lions Gate dropped the ball by not releasing this big, it could have at least made a small hit (at least as much $$$ as Cabin Fever made)

the fact that it's not on Gorezone.net's top horror of 2003 list sickens me...

Peter Vincent
02-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Can I just tell ya how much I loved this friggin' movie?!?!?

I remember seeing a trailer on some Lion's Gate DVD a million years ago. DVR'd this off of IFC (it was sitting in my hard drive since New Years) and I gotta tell ya, talk about original, somber, yet comedic (in a dark sort of way) horror flick! This movie had it all...including a very desirable lesbo Ana Farris. Who would think she could be so sexy (she's such a dork in the Scary Movie flicks).

May's transformation at the end... when she was walking around in the doll costume she made with body parts in a cooler ...would be an awesome costume for ANY girl on Halloween. I fell in love with her...pittied her, yet HATED her for fuckin' up the way she did with Adam (the love interest).

I was gonna buy the DVD, but it seems kinda bare bones don't it? Just a couple of commentaries & "chapter stops" for a special edition?!?! Hmmmm.

_pi_
02-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Love this movie. I tried watching it with some friends and they didn't really take to it. They loved Haute Tension, though ...

I have the German DVD and I think it's a good one .. haven't watched any of the extra features, though. Come to think of it, I haven't watched the extra features of more than half of my DVDs ...

Peter Vincent
02-27-2006, 11:25 PM
... Come to think of it, I haven't watched the extra features of more than half of my DVDs ...

Recently, I've been making a habit of doing EVERYTHING on a DVD before I move on to the next disc. It can be tedious and time consuming, but I have the slight luxury of being able to see movies & listen to audio commentaries at work :)

Workshed
02-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Twisted film, not typically one I enjoy in that it lacks supernatural horror. But great performances all around and some generally creepy scenes. Wow, good stuff.

Also, Anna Faris. Anna. Faris.

Golgo13
02-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Yeah this is probably the only gothy horror film (Donnie Darko, Ginger Snaps etc) I could tolerate. Well done.

_pi_
02-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Recently, I've been making a habit of doing EVERYTHING on a DVD before I move on to the next disc. It can be tedious and time consuming, but I have the slight luxury of being able to see movies & listen to audio commentaries at work :)

Hehe, what a great job! :D

dwatts
02-28-2006, 06:40 AM

You know, I often dream of doing this - just not gotten around to it yet. Extras are really there is immerse you a little more in the making of a film - and yet I don't give them enough time, either skimming them or watching them while paying scant attention. I applaud your work here ;)