PDA

View Full Version : FANGO WEEKEND OF HORRORS-AUG 11 & 12 2001

JBENE
01-23-2001, 07:35 PM
Looks like they'll be another one this year at the Pasadena Civic Center in Pasadena, CA.That's cool because they'll probably get the JASON X cast and crew and John Carpenter there to promote their films, which come out a couple of weeks after the CON.

Paff
01-23-2001, 08:05 PM
Sounds cool. I went last year. It was very sparse dealer-wise (the ComicCon the month before had more horror stuff), but it was only a 2-hour drive up the coast in a convertible, so it wasn't a big deal. I felt bad for people who flew in for it though.

The guests more than made up for it though, like William Friedkin, Linda Blair, Reggie Bannister, Rick Baker, and John Landis. I was especially impressed how most of those people actually ENJOYED meeting the fans and signing autographs. It wasn't like Galaxy Quest at all if ya know what I mean. Especially Reggie Bannister, who talked nothing but Phantasm to anyone who would listen the entire day, and he never got bored answering questions or anything.

It wasn't till the end of the day I noticed a dealer was sitting on a box of fairly rare laserdiscs he was dumping for some good prices. I picked up The Blob (88) for 10 bucks, not bad.

A fun little convention (and I do mean little), but I'll be there this year, what the hell...

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-23-2001, 08:12 PM
Yea, there is a Fango Weekend of Horros where I live in NYC also. I think a weekend in April. I will be there no doubt. Looks like it's going to be awesome. geusts:
Bruce Campbell, Rob Zombie, Danielle Harris, David DeCoteau, Joseph Stefano, Douglas E. Winter, Tom (BRUISER) Atkins, Kane Hodder, Gunnar Hansen, SLEEPAWAY CAMP reunion, tribute to Boris Karloff! wee hoo! ------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

[This message has been edited by DeepDownTraumaHound (edited 01-23-2001).]

JBENE
01-23-2001, 08:17 PM
I know exactly what you mean about the dealers room.I can't believe I only spent $40 over two days.The PASADENA CON in '99 was very different from the '00 one.In '99 they opened up the other side of the civic center and that was where the guests went up on stage and signed autographs.The room where everything happened last year was where the entire dealers room the prior year and they had everything.I spent a couple of hundred on bootlegs and Chas Balun had his own table.The problem is in '99 hardly any fan's showed up so they probably thought they would have another small turn out last year, which wasn't the case.

Ash
01-24-2001, 03:05 PM
Deep, I'm going to be attending the NYC Fangoria Weekend of the Horrors this year with my staff of deadites. Dave said he would be going to. Maybe we can all meet up.

------------------
Ash - webmaster@deadites.net
Deadites Online - www.deadites.net (http://www.deadites.net)

Jason Reynolds
01-24-2001, 05:08 PM
It sucks for me living in Oklahoma. Too expensive for me to go anymore. I did go to the only Fango Con held in Dallas back in 92 (or 93? can't recall now) and to one in LA in the mid-90s.

Sounds like the dealer room isn't what it used to be, but the guest list looks cool.

-Jason

Paff
01-24-2001, 07:41 PM
I think it all depends on the person, and how magnanimous they're feeling.

Linda Blair charges $10 for an autograph (I think that's a donation to PETA, but it still torques me off to pay), so I only got one, on my Exorcist DVD. I caved in and went back later to get her to sign Hell Night as well. Good thing I didn't have an S Club CD to sign...

William Friedkin signed both my Exorcist DVD and French Connection LD.

Rick Baker was told to sign only one autograph per person, but I saw several people get more than one. John Landis wasn't an "official" guest, but after a few wise-ass comments, he signed my copy of Animal House AND my friend's copy of Blues Brothers

Reggie Bannister signed all 5 of my Phantasm discs (I have two different versions of the first one) gleefully. He'd sign your little sister's face if you asked him to.

some of these people were in the main auditorium, some just had their own booths

So I'm sure as long as you don't flood the person with stuff to sign (I'll be in real trouble if Argento ever shows up at one of these), and you're quick about it, you can probably get whatever you need signed.

JBENE
01-24-2001, 07:48 PM
The last 2 years that I've gone I bought preferred seating, which is $36.The cool thing is those people get autographs first while people with general seating had to wait in a long ass line.You should of seen it for ROB ZOMBIE,it was crazy.Also it was very cool when JOHN LANDIS sat next to me and MICK GARRIS two rows behind me.But people like REGGIE BANNISTER and LINDA BLAIR have there own tables and it doesn't take to long to get something signed, but like someone else was saying they do charge.

Dave
01-24-2001, 08:45 PM
Yeah I'll most definitely get preferred seating either way. I'm probably going to have some family members with me to try and get as much stuff signed as possible. Did you see the updated list of guests over at Creation?

Guests:
Rob Zombie: writer/director/rocker HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES, with cast members from his first film.
Bruce Campbell: EVIL DEAD trilogy, XENA
Joseph Stefano: screenwriter of PSYCHO; creator of THE OUTER LIMITS
Danielle Harris: Actress HALLOWEEN 4-5; URBAN LEGEND
Kane Hodder: star of JASON X
Tom Atkins: actor CREEPSHOW, HALLOWEEN III, BRUISER, THE FOG
David DeCoteau: director of ANCIENT EVIL, THE BROTHERHOOD, VOODOO ACADEMY, CREEPAZOIDS
Douglas E. Winter: author of RUN and the new Clive Barker biography
Gunnar Hansen: actor TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, previews his latest, RACHEL'S ATTIC
SLEEPAWAY CAMP reunion with star Felissa Rose, writer/director Robert Hiltzik and webmaster Jeff Hayes
Special guests from THE MUMMY RETURNS and SOUL SURVIVORS to be announced
Special tribute to Boris Karloff

Sounds sweet. This is going to be my first Fango convention.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

Django
01-24-2001, 09:59 PM
If you ask me 1999 was the only decent Fango Con in L.A. in 4 or 5 years. And that's only because I got to meet and talk to Renny Harlin who was there to promote Deep Blue Sea.

2000 sucked hard and fast. Now granted it's not that far from the LBC where I'm at to Pasadena, but I swear to you I was there less then 90 minutes and bought on $10 bootleg of The Spirit of Christmas. I spent more at Burger King afterwards.

The only guests that will get me there are John Carpenter, Tim Thomerson, or Tom Atkins...

Dave
01-25-2001, 06:49 AM
Does anyone know if you're allowed to get an autograph(s), then go back to the end of the line and wait to get more from that same person?

I was hoping to get some DVDs signed to give away on the site....

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

JBENE
01-25-2001, 07:17 AM
If FANGO plays there cards right they can some pretty cool guests this year

JOHN CARPENTER-GHOSTS OF MARS
DARIO ARGENTO-I CAN'T SLEEP
GEORGE ROMERO-BRUISER
BRIAN YUZNA-FAUST
STUART GORDON-DAGON

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-25-2001, 10:08 PM
I would love to see some of you guys there. it would be fun.

Styx
01-27-2001, 01:38 AM
I'll definitely be going to the upcoming Fango con in NYC! I'm looking forward to meeting Bruce Campbell and Danielle Harris (she's so hot http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif) the most.

The Fango con in NYC was supposed to happen in January but was wisely delayed until April. It's been snowing quite a bit this month so that was definitely a smart move.

Argento Fan 2003
01-27-2001, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Paff:
So I'm sure as long as you don't flood the person with stuff to sign (I'll be in real trouble if Argento ever shows up at one of these), and you're quick about it, you can probably get whatever you need signed.

What does your Argento collection consist of?

Paff
01-27-2001, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Argento Fan 2003:
What does your Argento collection consist of?

DVD:
Deep Red
Inferno
The Stendhal Syndrome
Phantom of the Opera

LD:
The Bird With the Crystal Plumage
Suspiria
Tenebrae
Phenomena
Two Evil Eyes
Trauma

Argento related LDs:
Demons
Dario Argento's World of Horror
Dario Argento - Master of Horror

VHS:
Cat O'Nine Tails
Terror at the Opera

Book:
Broken Mirrors, Broken Minds

Poster:
Italian reprint (Titanus Distribuzione) of L'Uccello Dalle Piume di Cristallo

yuzna
01-29-2001, 07:45 PM
Hi Guys!

Not bad reading your stuff what's going on
at conventions in the US.

But we also have some really great conventions over the big sea here in Germany.

Every year the famous "Fantasy Film Festival"
with great guests every year(C.Barker,B.Yuzna,D.Argento....).
It's always great fun!

Not forget the great festival and convention
in Basel/Switzerland called "Deliria".

It really kicks ass!

Last year there was Tom Savini here presenting his movies and doing autographs etc.

This year there is another "Deliria".

Check it out: www.deliria.ch (http://www.deliria.ch)

Hey,if anybody have vacation at this time
(April 13-16),he should come to Europe to
have a great time!
And remember,you money is worth twice the
swiss currency.