PDA

View Full Version : aliens special widescreen collectors ed.

wizzer
10-17-2003, 12:41 AM
i picked this set up a while back and after i looked at how many times i had to flip discs to watch the movie with the additional footage and stuff i found myself to be way too lazy so i haven't even tried to watch it yet. is there anything on this laserdisc(s) that isn't going to be on the quadrilogy? if not i would trade this off in a second to any of the more hard core ld guys for say.....

DVD Connoisseur
10-17-2003, 01:21 AM
I'd be very surprised if all the additional supplementary bits and bobs are on the Quadrilogy set. I'm certainly keeping my box but as it cost me a week's wages back in the early '90s, I'm loath to let it go, anyway.

Paff
10-17-2003, 07:44 AM
If I'm not mistaken, isn't the advantage to Aliens on Laserdisc the fact that you can get the Theatrical Cut? I don't know if the new DVD edition will allow that option using seamless branching or whatever...

wizzer
10-17-2003, 09:54 AM
yea thats what i was wondering, i would rather have a seamless dvd+r of my laserdisc than the box itself

laserdogg
10-17-2003, 10:44 PM
If I'm not mistaken, isn't the advantage to Aliens on Laserdisc the fact that you can get the Theatrical Cut? I don't know if the new DVD edition will allow that option using seamless branching or whatever...

The box that wizzer refers to cat# 1504-85 is the 154 minute director's cut spread out over 7 sides / 4 discs in CAV. Changing platters 4 times over the course of the running time make the DVD the way to watch. I've never compared the DVD's audio to the Aliens boxset, but I would imagine it is superior as well. Original MSRP $99.99

The 137 minute theatrical cut is on LD, cat# 8761-85, is OAR, THX and AC-3. This the release to grab if you want the theatrical version. Original MSRP was $59.98!

There was a prior release of the theatrical cut in '87 by Fox. It's cat# 1504-80, p&s, digital sound, Dolby Surround. Avoid

Paff
10-18-2003, 12:01 AM
The 137 minute theatrical cut is on LD, cat# 8761-85, is OAR, THX and AC-3. This the release to grab if you want the theatrical version. Original MSRP was $59.98!

Yeah, I should have mentioned that the box set is NOT the theatrical cut. I have the box of the first Alien, and it's cool with all the extras, but I also only paid $5 for it. I could never imagine going anywhere near the original list price.

And that THX AC-3 Aliens disc is a LD must-have, if only for the cover art. It looks almost totally black at first glance, but it's actually the queen alien.
That, and it looks and sounds fantastic. Maybe not as good as the DVD of course, but damn fine for LD.

laserdogg
10-18-2003, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I should have mentioned that the box set is NOT the theatrical cut. I have the box of the first Alien, and it's cool with all the extras, but I also only paid $5 for it. I could never imagine going anywhere near the original list price.

I paid crazy money for this one when it came out in '91

another LD I paid MSRP for was the CAV release of Criterion's Robocop at 99.98

Seems unbelievable nowadays that people paid these prices.

DVD Connoisseur
10-18-2003, 01:18 AM
Yep, laserdogg....I still cry myself to sleep at night when I realise how much money I spent on lasers in my youth (and all at inflated prices as technically it was very difficult to purchase NTSC laserdiscs in the UK).....

In comparison, DVDs are so inexpensive, it's unbelievable....