PDA

View Full Version : R1 US Bird With The Crystal Plumage problems

napalm68
07-01-2001, 12:46 AM
Hello,

I have gone through three copies of The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, and each one has had the same problem in about the same place (though slightly different).

At between 51 and 54 minutes, there are several randomly spaced hesitations that occur, at different spots on all three copies I have. The first two I had were actually damaged (came loose in transit and got scratched) so I thought that was the problem, but the third one appeared fine, but still had the same problem. Note that in all copies, the hesitations occurred in different places.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am using an old Creative DXR2 in a PC. I have NEVER had this problem in any of the 160-odd discs I've owned.

Spectre
07-01-2001, 02:11 AM
If by "hesitation" you're referring to an occasional pause, that's normal. Depending on the player and disc, sometimes it takes an extra second or two to load the information. The image freezes for a half second, then it resumes playing. It's perfectly normal.

napalm68
07-01-2001, 10:32 AM
Normal? No it ain't. Not on my player. Like I said, in over 160 movies I've played, I;'ve never had it before...

Andrew
07-01-2001, 07:21 PM
Umm....are you talking about the scene after the girl walks up the spiral staircase to her ultimate death? Like halfway through the scene where she's being killed?

If so, it happens to me too, but it's for a second, two at the most. I haven't seen it before either, but it's forgivable, for me atleast.

Great film, great DVD :).

dotgain37
07-01-2001, 07:38 PM
I've got the exact same problem with my disc (we're talking about the VCI release, right?). Shortly after 51 minutes I get a short freeze (not a layer change) and another one at 57 minutes.

At first I thought of returning the disc, but I didn't since this looks more like a thing that would happen if you've got a bad master.

I've got a region-free Pioneer 626D (never had any problems with any other discs, not even VCI's Blood and Black Lace which is supposed to have serious problems with Pioneer players). I've also tried the disc in a couple of PC's, no go there either. My Toshiba DVD-ROM didn't even make it past the first freeze.

I guess we'll just have to live with this untill VCI re-masters the disc (again... ;)).

napalm68
07-01-2001, 08:58 PM
Dotgain - yeah, sounds like my problem. In all three I've had it has occurred in slightly different spots. All starting around the place where the informer comes to visit the apartment ("I know nothing").

And given you've never had this problem in anything else, I'd say faulty disc...

Spectre
07-02-2001, 03:17 AM
I'm still not sure what you mean by "hesitation", but the slight pauses are normal. You may be talking about something else though--I dunno.

For what it's worth, my copy plays fine. If it happens around the panty murder scene, it could have something to do with the first run discs being screwed up. The early shipments had the panty murder scene reinserted at the wrong point in the film, and VCI supposedly fixed it with later shipments.

napalm68
07-03-2001, 02:43 PM
By slight hesitation I'm talking about several pauses of less than .25 second, some in reasonably close proximity, over a couple of minutes. If you think this is normal, there may be something wrong with your player. When I say it is NOT normal, I have quantified it by stating twice that in over 160 movies I've played, I have never had this happen on any other title. So it is not normal for me.

Spectre
07-03-2001, 08:22 PM
Slight pauses are normal, man. I have access to three different players (2 of which are actually mine), and they all do that. It's called "freezing", and it happens once in awhile for maybe half a second while the disc is loading the info for the next scene. It's mentioned in some DVD manuals.

Discs react differently on different players. If your player is new, you might not see it happen as much, just because your player's more equipped to load faster. In a year or two, as disc authoring becomes even more streamlined, you'll notice it more. It has to do with run speeds. Some other people here had the same problem with it that you did. So, it could just be a fickle disc. TBWTCP works fine on my player. Then again, certain discs, like Phenomena (locks up) and Inferno (severe blue chroma noise), don't work fine on my player.

What you're describing sounds like more than a typical freeze. Freezes are both random and occasional, not multiple pauses within proximity to another. Either your disc is defective, or your player's having problems handling it, because of the disc speed. Try it on a friend's player and see how it works. If it plays fine, your player probably just doesn't like the disc. If it doesn't, the problem is with your disc.

jaybienweb
01-19-2002, 02:55 AM
I've got the same problem as dotgain37 and AndrewBBD. It happens at the same time and only last for about 1 quarter of a second. I'm not sure whether or not I should send it back. It only happens at the same time and only 2 times.

It reminds me of the pauses in 'Maniac', when Spinell is returning the woman's bag. If you've listened to the 'Maniac' commentary then you know what I'm talking about.

Egg_Shen
01-19-2002, 03:38 AM
Yeah, I have the same problem with mine too. Even more interesting is that your disc came loose in it's case. Mine came like that also, with lots of superficial scratches. I thought the problem had spawned from that, but I guess not.

betterdan
01-19-2002, 05:26 AM
I finally watched my copy tonight. Great film! I had 2 slight pauses during the movie also. I don't remember where the first one was but the second one was when the guy went looking in the old house and found the guy that was chasing him dead. I believe it was around 51 min.30 seconds. It was right where he looks in and says "hello". I rewinded and played it back a few times and it paused there every time. Could be a layer change but it doesn't seem like it. Also if it was a layer change then what was the first pause about? Oh well it wasn't that big a deal and I'm keeping the disc anyways.

iluvdaria
01-19-2002, 03:08 PM
My disc has one really, really quick pause. When the girl who climbs the stairs in the dark finally meets her demise. As she is struck into the elevator it pauses for like a half second but nothing to really complain about.

Demon Tech
01-19-2002, 05:38 PM
I just got my copy last night and it freezes in the same spot. My DVD player is 4 yrs and has ran well over 400 movies in it and has never done this. Of course I would not own an apex myself.

keith70
01-20-2002, 12:24 AM
Wow! I have the exact same problem. Two quick pauses and my disc was loose and all scratched to hell. I was thinking of replacing it, but it took me almost four months to get the dvd after I orderd it. The only discs I've ever had lose were BWCP and Blood and Black Lace. Both VCI discs.

Normal? No it Ain't. Not on my player
When I read that I cracked up. LOL. I agree. It's not normal on my player either. If it was, I would definitely replace it.

crank
01-20-2002, 12:55 AM
As annoying as that could be, I couldn't see it as being a reason to freak out and try to send them back your disc (especially if it is happening to many people's discs.) I think the old runs of BWTCP were done before VCI was taking theirselves very seriously (see the quality on Mario Bava's Kill Baby Kill for a good example). But now they have improved much as a company, with the further Bava titles, Ruby and now the City of the Dead disc.

crank

napalm68
01-20-2002, 07:37 AM
All the ones I had a problem with were the new run (not the old one with the scenes out of order). I ended up getting three, and the last one finally didn;t play up.