PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Phibes - theatrical version?

Jason Reynolds
01-17-2001, 04:28 PM
I was getting ready to pre-order Abominable Dr. Phibes, Dr. Phibes Rises Again and Die Monster Die from Buy.com, but noticed in their description of the movies it says "theatical version." I didn't know there was more than one version, so does anyone know the difference?

BTW, Buy has all of these for $9.49 each, which is the cheapest I've seen them for pre-order.

-Jason

jae
01-17-2001, 07:23 PM
Someone may be able to help you more but what I THINK this means is that originally, Vincent Price sings 'Over The Rainbow' over the end credits I believe.. This was cut from all video releases due to a problem with the rights and is supposedly restored for this DVD release..

I just rented Phibes and saw it for the first time about a week ago.. Great movie! I'm really looking forward to the DVDs.

Jason Reynolds
01-17-2001, 09:02 PM
I went ahead and ordered all three.

-Jason

jae
01-17-2001, 10:55 PM
Is Die Monster Die worth picking up? I haven't seen it but the cover looked cheesy when I saw it at Blockbuster while I was out of town (local one doesn't have it).. Still it has Karloff and its directed by some guy who was responsible for the sets of all the Corman/Poe movies I think.. I've only seen bad reviews for it though.

Jeremy
01-17-2001, 11:58 PM
Die, Monster Die! is an okay movie, it was made only a few years before Boris Karloff's death, and it's obvious from watching it that he wasn't in the best shape. There are some good make-up effects and some nice atmosphere, but the hero, Nick Castle, is a tad annoying. I'd say you might as well pick it up, considering the dirt-cheap price MGM is charging.

Jeremy
01-18-2001, 12:03 AM
Oops! I mean Nick Adams played the hero in Die, Monster Die!...

...Nick Castle played Michael Myers in the original Halloween.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

landrvr
01-18-2001, 01:45 AM
jae has it right about the 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' bit.

only it was in Dr. Phibes Rises Again.

HELLION
01-18-2001, 02:08 AM
Tim Lucas from Video Watchdog recently stated that DR. PHIBES RISES AGAIN should be fully restored now, because MGM now owns the rights to Phibes and OVER THE RAINBOW.

------------------
Positively the MOST horrifying signature ever made!