PDA

View Full Version : Faulty Discs?

cooldevices
01-23-2001, 07:49 PM
Hi has anyone else experienced any picture breakup or blockness to their discs i have Dragons Zombie Holocaust and the picture breaks up for a couple of seconds midway through i also import Hong Kong movies from the states and 3 of these The Victim, Cold War and Young and Dangerous 2 have a lot of breakup, i have had no trouble with any region 1 or UK region 2 disc All of my friends are still in the VHS age and not much help. My machine is a code free (not chipped) Nakamachi 5 months old if it is the discs do they deteriorate with age i used to collect Laser Discs and some of them suffered from Disk Rot.
Thanks for any help.

joltaddict
01-23-2001, 08:47 PM
After all this time and all these DVDs I just last night got my first faulty disc! It was pretty frustrating too, I got all settled in and it gets to the end and then started skipping aroung to the start of different chapters.

It was the new Exorcist and it got all the way to chapter 41 and then jumped to 43 then back to 41, it would let me rewind through the chapter but then when I hit play it would just jump to a chapter start.

I returned it to a B&M and that one played fine.

hojimoji
01-23-2001, 09:27 PM
Did you check and see if the discs were clean? I borrowed a DVD from a friend, and he doesn't pay as much attention as he should to fingerprints on the disc, and when I went to watch it is looked like crap.

Hopefully that's it and it's not faulty disc.

G.

joltaddict
01-23-2001, 09:43 PM
I just realized my suggestion is probally worthless, I doubt B&Ms carry many HK flicks, sorry.

Jasondog
01-24-2001, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by joltaddict:
After all this time and all these DVDs I just last night got my first faulty disc! It was pretty frustrating too, I got all settled in and it gets to the end and then started skipping aroung to the start of different chapters.

It was the new Exorcist and it got all the way to chapter 41 and then jumped to 43 then back to 41, it would let me rewind through the chapter but then when I hit play it would just jump to a chapter start.

I returned it to a B&M and that one played fine.

How weird, last night was my first too. The Cell died at the layer change in chapter 19. I got it replaced today

PuppetMaster1002
01-30-2001, 01:45 PM
Guys get this I bought the Pit and the Pendulum the other day on DVD and it got half through the movie and it turned into
LEGO CITY on me and i was like oh shit.
This was my first faulty disc to so it pissed me off so i returned it and bought
What Lies Beneath

ilsa
01-30-2001, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by cooldevices:
Hi has anyone else experienced any picture breakup or blockness to their discs i have Dragons Zombie Holocaust and the picture breaks up for a couple of seconds midway through i also import Hong Kong movies from the states and 3 of these The Victim, Cold War and Young and Dangerous 2 have a lot of breakup, i have had no trouble with any region 1 or UK region 2 disc All of my friends are still in the VHS age and not much help. My machine is a code free (not chipped) Nakamachi 5 months old if it is the discs do they deteriorate with age i used to collect Laser Discs and some of them suffered from Disk Rot.
Thanks for any help.

My Dragon dvd of Zombie Holocaust
has no problem (other then the ugly
ass cover) so maybe you did get a
dud disc.

As for HK imports i have been
having a string of bad luck, with
The Seventh Curse, 303 FFR,and A
Man Called Hero all breaking up
and my dvd player just out right
rejects 303 even though it's a
all region disc.

K'
01-30-2001, 04:08 PM
I have no problems with my dragon Zombie Holocaust DVD. But I had some problems with a bunch of HK DVDs Downtown Torpedoes, 2000AD and Eyes Wide Shut. I cleaned the discs with a little bit of alcohol Downtown and Eyes worked then normally but 2000AD refused to run. My import shop here in Germany returned the disc with no problems. The shop owner told me that in HK the DVDs are not so careful produced and packed as in Europe or the Us.
So you should try to clean them maybe they will work. Or try to return them....

------------------
Whoever said violence never solves problems
obviously never used enough of it.

cooldevices
01-30-2001, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your help everyone much appreciated.

thegroak
01-31-2001, 04:28 PM
People It's not the discs most likely the Player or Firmware.I was watching crocodile the other day and It started to break up freeze and pixelate..I was pissed but I went into the bedroom where I have A different Brand DVD player and whalla!I was PERFECT..I experienced this On about 10 discs some will play on One player but not the other!Let A friend borrow it and you'll see or pop it into your computers dvd drive !I guarantee that only 1 out of 10 of you has a legitimitly messed up disc!Because if one is messed up most likely the whole batch is.

betterdan
01-31-2001, 08:24 PM
Ummm I don't think so thegroak. Most people say they return them and then they are fine. I believe the problem mostly comes from dirty discs. It's happened to me a few times but I then cleaned the disc and it was ok afterward.

------------------
I have seen the new face of poverty and it is DVD...

AceRimRat
01-31-2001, 09:40 PM
TheGroak does have a good point, though - maybe not 9 out of 10 times, but sometimes, it's the player.

For instance, my A110 plays almost everything fine, but has problems with those cheapo Diamond Entertainment discs, and unfortunately, the Total Movie mag discs. But they played OK on my friend's player.

Plenty of times it is dirt or scratches, though.

Jeremy
02-01-2001, 01:31 AM
Yeah, I've had a few player-specific problems too. I just got a screener of MGM's House of Games, and when I put the disc in my DV-505 machine, the player froze after the lion logo came up before the main menu. Tried it a couple of times with both the widescreen and fullscreen sides, same effect. Didn't really matter because I was able to get to the movie and main menu by telling the player to go directly to TITLE 1 and skip everything else, but it was still an unusual problem, one that didn't occur on my DVD-ROM.