PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcatcher

Hellbilly
11-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Eegah! Dreamcatcher is a mess but started off pretty good actually. The first 30 minutes or so are promising and held my interest: Four friends with "psychic powers" (telepathy) are planning one of their annual hunting trips to a shared cabin in the woods. When they finally arrive things are starting to get very weird. First they encounter a man who seems to be suffering from gastrointestinal problems ... he later reliefs (bloody butt alert!) himself on the toilet leaving a nasty little surprise behind.
Soon after the military shows up and before you know it Dreamcatcher turns into a sci-fi alien invasion flick ...

And make that a big budget sci-fi alien invasion flick that looks like it was made by Troma. It's hard to believe Warner Bros are actually behind this schlocky and gooey sci-fi mess.
The special effects are top notch no doubt, the creatures look awesome and kick major ass.There's also some really beautiful and breathtaking winter cinematography, something I haven't seen since, well, The Shining?
The atmosphere is there but Dreamcatcher is obviously suffering from a bad script and an uninspired director (Lawrence Kasdan). Morgan Freeman (having a bad hair and eyebrow day) has some of the worst dialogues recently written and most of the "key" scenes are unintentional hilarious (using a gun as a "psychic" telephone? harharhar).
Confusing (It took me some time to figure out who or what "Mr. Grey" is/was, but I knew right away "Duddits" was an alien, duh!), not really scary, Dreamcatcher fails as a (serious) sci-fi/drama it wants to be - but kinda semi-delivers if you're a bad cinema lover ...

The choice is yours :eek2:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AMRUM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Video: Anamorphic 2.35:1 Widescreen.
The video transfer looks magnificent! Colors are brilliant and sharpness is terrific.
Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1
Solid bass, crisp and clear sound all the way. Greatness!
Extras:
TV spots, Theatrical teaser, Stephen King interview, making-of and special effects featurette. Haven't checked out any of those but I did watch the deleted scenes (4) including the original ending which kinda sucked.

onebyone
11-03-2003, 05:47 PM
A friend of mine wrote me a very simple review of this movie. He told me, "If you haven't seen Dreamcatcher yet, I'ld keep up that trend." I am now very glad I listened.

Jimbo
11-03-2003, 06:04 PM
Thanks! This now confirms that i will not be watching this movie.I have not read a good review on it yet.There just has not been a good Stephen King adaption in some time now.

Ash28M
11-03-2003, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't care if this had the best transfer ever. I still wouldn't want to sit through that shit fest again.

Hellbilly
11-03-2003, 06:57 PM
shit festNow that's a good description, literally :lol:

WesReviews
11-03-2003, 07:23 PM
My thoughts on Dreamcatcher...

I kept waiting for The Toxic Avenger to show up any minute and shove a toilet plunger handle through Morgan Freeman's head.

But alas, this WASN'T a Troma movie. Though they sure could've fooled me. ;)

agentc
11-03-2003, 08:19 PM
I agree! This film was total crap. I fell asleep when I went to see it at the cinema.

RyanPC
11-03-2003, 10:13 PM
I didn't really like this film. I usually like Stephen King movies, but this was a total mess. All of the characters do the stupidest things possible and the horrid CGI effects got on my nerves. So did Duddits. This film had potential and could have been waaaaaaaaay better if it was more subtle, instead of going all out with the alien at the end.

To tell the truth, this film makes Breeders look like a masterpiece, even if it is beautifully shot. :eek2:

puddytay
11-04-2003, 04:18 AM
Everyone hates this movie. WHY? I didnt think it was the best but I really enjoyed it. I found it very interesting to watch much better than most kings movies and I've seen them all.

Hellbilly
11-04-2003, 05:07 AM
I don't really hate it kinda semi-delivers if you're a bad cinema lover ... - but I definitely don't love it either.

Cujo108
11-04-2003, 05:39 AM
Haha, I still can't believe you bought this film, Hellbilly. This was my most anticipated film of 2003, but it turned out to be the biggest disappointment I've had in a long time. The film is extremely retarded at parts, and Duddits is one of the most annoying characters ever. I wanted that fucker to die a painful death. Its a damn shame too, because the book is just fantastic, the CGI in this film is actually pretty great, and Morgan Freeman and Tom Sizemore are two damn good actors. If only the dumbass director had stuck closer to the book and kept all the retardation out of the film.

Hellbilly
11-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Haha, I still can't believe you bought this film, Hellbilly.Um, what?
Who said I bought this? I've only rented it, honestly :D

*hands in the air* "I Duddits" :D :D

Disco Stu
11-04-2003, 07:00 AM
Dreamcatcher is overlong and jumbled and it is so many different Stephen King novels smushed into one, from the 4 friends with telekinesis, to the childhood friends bonding over dead and/or in jeopardy, bodies, viruses that will take over the world, etc., etc. The first 40 minutes is not bad, but they never go in an interesting direction with the character development, and it all seems very familiar. And the title of the film not only seems like a misnomer, they don't even really bother to tie it in to the film at all, the Dreamcatcher is just a decoration in the friends' log cabin in the woods, and has no real relevance to the story. When the story shifts to being about aliens that come out of your ass, it loses all momentum in terms of its character development, and attempts to build generic horror suspense. And even when it starts to do that, there is a 10 minute flashback scene, cut right into the middle of it. The flashback is very light in tone, and is completely at odds with the previous material. It's just another example of the hideous editing throughout the film. The ending is the biggest tragedy, destroying any plausibility or logic the first 2 hours had. Despite being a horror movie about aliens trying to infect the earth with a deadly virus, the last scene concludes with some of the few surviving characters smiling in a freeze frame, as if they were at the end of a sitcom. It was one of the misbegotten ideas to ever appear at the end of any Hollywood movie, and that's pretty much all you remember about the whole thing anyway.

Hellbilly, in terms of gorgeous winter photography, you've left out Fargo and A Simple Plan, which exceed the accomplishments of The Shining by quite some margin.

Hellbilly
11-09-2003, 09:46 AM
Ok I'm not on drugs or anything but I gave Dreamcatcher another spin last night, just to be on the safe side.

When I first watched de Palma's Femme Fatale or Cronenberg's eXistenZ I didn't like them that much ... after watching them again I've noticed how great those movies really are. Things came together and made perfect sense.
Yep that's me. I'm the kinda guy that sometimes needs repeated viewings on certain movies.
Soooo when I first watched Dreamcatcher I wasn't really paying attention rather making fun of it, making fun of the tard, Freeman's hair, cringed at the bad lines, was bored etc and I even dozed off at some point.
All in all, I wasn't impressed.
After my second viewing last night I kinda catched up on things I missed the first time around. I'm not saying Dreamcatcher got any better or "brilliant" for that matter but it ain't really half as bad ...
It still has it's flaws and I'm sure the book was way better (haven't read it) but Dreamcatcher kinda works on a b-movie level, that is if you're willing to lower you're expectations and give in to the cheese ... Worked for me.
Some scenes are on the edge of being really annoying/stupid or just simply entertaining (in a Troma sort of way) ... also depending on you're mood I suppose.
I liked the idea of aliens coming out of people's asses, certainly something that hasn't been done before hehe
I did enjoy Jonesy's possession/split personality thing he had going even though I didn't understand why Mr. Gay, um, Grey was British?
Anyways, there is some gore, slime, blood and lots of farting to keep ya happy, the effects (ILM) are perfect, the visuals are stunning (something you don't get from any Troma flick heh) and now I kinda got a kick outta Freeman hamming it up as the villain.
On the downside, the pacing still drags and "Duddits" still sucks and I can't seem to get over that psychic "gun" phone call.
That was just too silly, even for me :eek2:

Hellbilly
11-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Hellbilly, in terms of gorgeous winter photography, you've left out Fargo and A Simple Plan, which exceed the accomplishments of The Shining by quite some margin.Ah, you're correct there, stu. Forgot about these two.

aoiookami
11-10-2003, 02:10 AM
yes, worst movie I've seen in theaters in recent memory. oh well, atlesat I got to see the swank animatrix short on a big screen.
but yeah, the movie is utterly horrible. I wanted to burst out laughing when that one guy figured it was more important to reach for a tooth pick than to sit on the toilet seat to prevent the alien from killing him.

thegreeninferno
11-17-2003, 06:44 AM
I saw the first half...and was interested
the second half ruined it.
Which seems to happen a lot with films these days

Latency
11-17-2003, 07:59 PM
I love cheeseball movies. I'll give it a rent tomorrow. Aliens coming out of people's asses just sounds way to cool to pass up! :)

Hellbilly
11-21-2003, 06:04 PM
How did you like it?

Latency
11-21-2003, 07:43 PM
It was all rented out, LoL. I'll try again next tuesday. Must be popular :).

Hellbilly
11-22-2003, 03:25 AM
You know ... actually it is rather popular :)
I've just checked IMDb's Weekly Top DVD/Video Rentals and so far Dreamcatcher has made over $54m (!) - not counting DVD/Video sales.
Not bad for a bad film that grossed a little over $30m in theaters back in March.

etale
11-22-2003, 06:57 AM
Eegah! Dreamcatcher is a mess but started off pretty good actually. The first 30 minutes or so are promising and held my interest: Four friends with "psychic powers" (telepathy) are planning one of their annual hunting trips to a shared cabin in the woods. When they finally arrive things are starting to get very weird. First they encounter a man who seems to be suffering from gastrointestinal problems ... he later reliefs (bloody butt alert!) himself on the toilet leaving a nasty little surprise behind.
Soon after the military shows up and before you know it Dreamcatcher turns into a sci-fi alien invasion flick ...

And make that a big budget sci-fi alien invasion flick that looks like it was made by Troma. It's hard to believe Warner Bros are actually behind this schlocky and gooey sci-fi mess.
The special effects are top notch no doubt, the creatures look awesome and kick major ass.There's also some really beautiful and breathtaking winter cinematography, something I haven't seen since, well, The Shining?
The atmosphere is there but Dreamcatcher is obviously suffering from a bad script and an uninspired director (Lawrence Kasdan). Morgan Freeman (having a bad hair and eyebrow day) has some of the worst dialogues recently written and most of the "key" scenes are unintentional hilarious (using a gun as a "psychic" telephone? harharhar).

Confusing (It took me some time to figure out who or what "Mr. Grey" is/was, but I knew right away "Duddits" was an alien, duh!), not really scary, Dreamcatcher fails as a (serious) sci-fi/drama it wants to be - but kinda semi-delivers if you're a bad cinema lover ...

The choice is yours :eek2:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000AMRUM.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Video: Anamorphic 2.35:1 Widescreen.
The video transfer looks magnificent! Colors are brilliant and sharpness is terrific.
Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1
Solid bass, crisp and clear sound all the way. Greatness!
Extras:
TV spots, Theatrical teaser, Stephen King interview, making-of and special effects featurette. Haven't checked out any of those but I did watch the deleted scenes (4) including the original ending which kinda sucked.

Thanks!
Will save my money for something else.

Hellbilly
11-22-2003, 07:31 AM
Hey now, you missed my updated review ;)
Ok I'm not on drugs or anything but I gave Dreamcatcher another spin last night, just to be on the safe side.

When I first watched de Palma's Femme Fatale or Cronenberg's eXistenZ I didn't like them that much ... after watching them again I've noticed how great those movies really are. Things came together and made perfect sense.
Yep that's me. I'm the kinda guy that sometimes needs repeated viewings on certain movies.
Soooo when I first watched Dreamcatcher I wasn't really paying attention rather making fun of it, making fun of the tard, Freeman's hair, cringed at the bad lines, was bored etc and I even dozed off at some point.
All in all, I wasn't impressed.
After my second viewing last night I kinda catched up on things I missed the first time around. I'm not saying Dreamcatcher got any better or "brilliant" for that matter but it ain't really half as bad ...
It still has it's flaws and I'm sure the book was way better (haven't read it) but Dreamcatcher kinda works on a b-movie level, that is if you're willing to lower you're expectations and give in to the cheese ... Worked for me.
Some scenes are on the edge of being really annoying/stupid or just simply entertaining (in a Troma sort of way) ... also depending on you're mood I suppose.
I liked the idea of aliens coming out of people's asses, certainly something that hasn't been done before hehe
I did enjoy Jonesy's possession/split personality thing he had going even though I didn't understand why Mr. Gay, um, Grey was British?
Anyways, there is some gore, slime, blood and lots of farting to keep ya happy, the effects (ILM) are perfect, the visuals are stunning (something you don't get from any Troma flick heh) and now I kinda got a kick outta Freeman hamming it up as the villain.
On the downside, the pacing still drags and "Duddits" still sucks and I can't seem to get over that psychic "gun" phone call.
That was just too silly, even for me :eek2:

etale
11-24-2003, 11:28 PM
Hey now, you missed my updated review ;)

On the other hand, it might fun for a rental.
Sounds a lot bettr than BATTLEFIELD EARTH.

H0MOSareGAY
11-27-2003, 06:08 AM
I saw the first half...and was interested
the second half ruined it.
Which seems to happen a lot with films these days
BINGO... and the alien showdown at the end was just too much.

Slightly reminiscient of Tommyknockers and It, two otherwise good movies ruined by overly cheesey "alien" endings...

Latency
11-28-2003, 10:36 PM
On the other hand, it might fun for a rental.
Sounds a lot bettr than BATTLEFIELD EARTH.

:fire: HEY! I saw Battlefield Earth 6 times in the cheapo ($1) theatre. I loved it! Well worth the $6 :D

maybrick
04-21-2011, 05:00 AM
Sheesh, is this movie really 8 years old already?

Checked it out of the library today. As far as King films go, it ain't the best and it certainly ain't the worst. Taken as a cheesy B flick it's entertaining enough. It's kind of hard to look at past all of the implausible actions of the characters otherwise (and I don't think I need to make a list of all of them since I'm sure most of you have already seen it by now. There were a ton.)

Lots of reactionary posts back in the day. Sure, Dreamcatchers is a bad film, but it ain't that bad.

Dave
04-21-2011, 05:04 AM
Hated the movie but adore the book.

fattyjoe37
04-21-2011, 03:26 PM
One of King's weaker books for me and the movie was even more disappointing. Still have no idea what they were thinking with the alien battle ending.

dave13
04-21-2011, 06:08 PM
One of King's weaker books for me and the movie was even more disappointing. Still have no idea what they were thinking with the alien battle ending.

I agree about the book, I didn't like it either.

Erick H.
04-22-2011, 08:49 AM
I saw it in the theater and laughed so hard at times that I thought I might be ejected by the staff.
No such luck .

The film did confirm something I have always suspected though,if you are possessed by a mysterious evil force you will spontaniously develop a British accent.It also shoots down an oft quoted belief,"Morgan Freeman is good in everything".So I guess you could say the film is educational if nothing else.

Well worth seeing...once.

Zillamon51
04-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Absolute garbage. Hated it the first time I saw it, and have had no desire to revisit it since. Easily the worst movie (that I've seen) w/ Stephen King's name on it. (I haven't read the book.) Bad CGI critters, the worst tagline ever ("Evil slips through" for a movie about eel-like aliens that come out of people's asses? Really? Really?!), and of course the central idea is a riff on Alien that a 10-year-old might come up with. No wonder it bombed at the box office. I'm surprised someone dug up this post to discuss this greasy turd of a movie after all this time. I guess it just slipped through. I felt less unclean after watching The Human Centipede (a far better movie) than I did Dreamcatcher.

maybrick
04-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I didn't see the CGI as much worse than it was in The Mist. I'm not going to go out of my way to defend Dreamcatcher because it really isn't a good movie, but come on. Bad Stephen King films are more the rule rather than the exception. In my opinion, all of the Mick Garris films are worse, ESPECIALLY Sleepwalkers. Secret Window wasn't all that great either.