PDA

View Full Version : Is the new Nosferatu DVD worth buying?

Cujo108
01-10-2001, 02:17 AM
I already own the barebones DVD of this film, and I was wondering if the new DVD version is worth buying? I mean, are the extras great, etc.

mutleyhyde
01-10-2001, 02:45 AM
Well, dvdreview certainly seems to think so.

"While the film clearly shows its age - what will you look like at 78 years? - and still contains serious signs of wear and decomposition, the new transfer that was created for this DVD is nothing short of a revelation. It doesn’t even take a direct comparison to see that the new presentation is significantly cleaner, more stable and is having noticeably better contrast. But most importantly, it contains a level of detail that was unseen before."

Go to http://www.dvdreview.com/fullreviews/nosferatu.shtml for the full review.

I've got the Elite German Masterworks set. While this contains a great version of Nosferatu (now there'll probably be numerous posts following giving testament as to why this particular version is crapolla, but I liked it), I too am mulling over getting this new release. The thing that puzzles me is that I've seen absolutely no new artwork anywhere. My question is does the new release have the same artwork, and if so, how do you tell if you're getting the new version?

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

jimmyx
01-10-2001, 09:39 AM
There is a Double disc set coming out in the UK on the 22nd with the sepia tinted version on one side and the black and white version on the other.
Extras include: Disc 1 (Sepia): Commentary track, trailer of 'Shadow of the Vampire', Special Footage (narrative description of supplementary images of original sketches, artwork and postcards - basis for film production - theatrical posters of the time), origins of vampires, Nosferatu's

Disc 2: Original Black and White

Should be worth picking up.

jae
01-10-2001, 03:07 PM
Yes I would say its worth picking up.. And the way you tell if its the new version is that the old artwork was colored white (the picture of the vampire), on the new one its tinted red. There should also be the text on the back about a new restoration and the new then and now pictures..

I just wish I could find the damn thing. I emailed DVD Empire yesterday and they said they haven't been given a release date from Image yet and it came out last week. Nobody has it in stock on the internet and I can't find it locally..

That sounds cool about the R2 version.. Anyone know how the video holds up against the Image one?

Mark Relford
01-10-2001, 05:57 PM
Amazon has Nosferatu (red cover) for $21.49 with 2-3 day availability. The older edition seems to be OOP.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

jae
01-10-2001, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Mark Relford:
Amazon has Nosferatu (red cover) for $21.49 with 2-3 day availability. The older edition seems to be OOP.

Alot of places have it listed but not available. DVD Empire also has it with 2-3 day availability and they're saying Image hasn't given them a release date for it.

BigDeg187
01-11-2001, 01:13 AM
Is the only difference between the 2 Nosferatu dvds the facts that the new one is colored? Why would they ruin a classic like that?? Does the new version have all the extra features that the original version have?

BigDeg187
01-11-2001, 01:21 AM
I am looking on amazon.com and they have 3 different versions of the 1922 version of Nosferatu, one has a 90 minute run time, another have a 64 minute run time, and the last one, which is in a box set has a 94 minute run time....is this just an error on amazons website or are these all different versions of the film.

------------------
Wanna see something really scary? Vistit http://www.SavageCinema.com

[This message has been edited by BigDeg187 (edited 01-10-2001).]

mutleyhyde
01-11-2001, 02:05 AM
Big Deg - It looks like they're listing the original Image release as 64 min and as being out of stock. The new Image release is listed as 90 min, as a special edition, and the date is actually listed as 1919 (from where I'm looking anyway). This new Image release, the special edition, is the one we've been talking about. This release has not been "colorized". It's been mastered to the original sepia specs that the movie would have been presented in movie houses in 1920. Sepia was a way for filmmakers to convey mood with black & white film. Scenes are stained one transparant color for various reasons. The effect is like looking through those hip colored sunglasses. Night shots would be colored blue, day shots a light yellow perhaps, and indoor shots an amber or light brown. Go check out the review that I posted the link for up above. It'll tell you abot the extras and the supposedly kick-ass transfer. As for the box set, it's really just a double keepcase, if in fact you're talking about the Masterworks of German Horror Cinema set from Elite. If you can get it cheap enough, say $35-40, I think it's a real nice little package. However, if you just want Nosferatu, go with Image. I personally had to have the set for Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, and now that I've seen it, I wouldn't want to be without Der Golum either. Anyway, I'm a sucker, and will probably end up with Image's new release as well.

Jimmyx - That sound like a great set! I've got to get off my butt and hook myself up with multi-regional, multi format capabilities!

Jae - I saw what you mean about the color schemes on Amazon. That's simple enough. Thanks for the input.

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde