PDA

View Full Version : Opera

Cujo108
07-03-2001, 07:55 PM
This is one of my favorite Argento films and I just can't wait for the upcoming Anchor Bay DVD. Is the Anchor Bay limited edition going to come with the soundtrack like Suspiria is? I heard on Dark Dreams messageboard that it was. Anyone know if this is true? Also, I would love to hear what all your opinions on this great film are. :)

Paff
07-03-2001, 08:44 PM
Well, I have to say I don't know diddly about what's gonna be on the Anchor Bay version. I'll tell you when I get it (which will be the same time all of you get it, so it won't be much use then)

But I can tell you it's one of my favorite Argento movies, and I'm totally jazzed about it coming out. In fact, it was the movie that made me a hardcore Argento fan. I had only seen Suspiria and was totally confused by it. I rented Terror at the Opera to give Dario "one more chance", and I suddenly saw what the guy was all about. The light switch turned on. I watched all of his films (and re-watched Suspiria again) and was amazed by them all (minus a few exceptions).

I always recommend this as "starter" Argento. You get all the visual flair, the great soundtrack, the linked themes (eyes in this case), and it's all inside a relatively easy-to-follow package. Once you develop a taste for Argento, then you can appreciate the weirder and/or deeper stuff like Suspiria, Inferno, or The Stendhal Syndrome.

Can't wait for the DVD

DVD Connoisseur
07-03-2001, 10:04 PM
Opera remains my favourite Argento movie. It's a classic giallo with stunning set-pieces. I think the forthcoming DVD is going to really raise this movie's profile amongst horror fans - it certainly deserves greater recognition. Simply superb.

NickyDoyle
07-05-2001, 03:50 AM
Yeah, can't wait for this one to come out; too bad Suspiria's going to steal it's thunder (their going to be released on the same day, September 4 I think) :( . Maybe I should have had this as my first Argento starter, cuz mine was Inferno and that movie is as weird as hell (though now I appreciate it more).

Cujo108
07-07-2001, 10:16 PM
Hey, the specs for the Opera DVD have finally been announced! Go over to www.dvdmaniacs.net to see them and the cover art.

Black_Mandarin
07-07-2001, 10:32 PM
I first saw Opera on Joe Bob Briggs Drive in Theater on The Movie Channel back in 1990 or 91', and although I was already a fan of Argento (having seen Suspiria, Tenebre{UNSANE version}, and Phenomena {again, as CREEPERS}) I actually had no idea it was Argento when I first saw it, and didnt catch the intro or credits until the second time it was shown. So there was no Argento bias, I loved it for what it was, and I have never seen it since. All I've had for the past decade is that memory of a great horror movie and I look forward to the Fall when I can finally see it again.

Also, whats up with Suspiria SE being 3 Discs? I thought it was only 2. This stinks, because like any true Argento/Goblin fan, I've had the soundtrack cd, and I dont want to shell out money for it agian just to get that second documetary disc. Any chance there will be a two disc only without the cd?