PDA

View Full Version : Cat O' Nine Tails

Yowie
07-03-2001, 10:54 PM
Just saw Anchor Bay's packed DVD of this classic Argento thriller, and I must say they've outdone themselves yet again. (-The old Warner pan & scan tape is now in the bin.) It's sharper than a razor, whoever thought it'd ever look this good ?. Why didn't Horrordvd's reviewer take to it, and what's wrong with a slower pace ?. -I love long and slow oldfashioned movies like this. But what I don't get, is why Dario himself doesn't like this movie very much. He probably prefers "Phenomena", which of course no one can comprehend. I don't care if "Cat" has less gore than some of his later movies, it's a superb thriller with great suspense. Just as good as "Bird With The Crystal Plumage", if not better. And anyway, there weren't really that many more deaths in his later films, the killings were just bloodier. I believe it's also one of Karl Malden's personal favorites, and that creepy scene in the graveyard and inside the crypt is just brilliant. What more do you want, people ?. I also count Morricone's score as one of his best, and that says a lot. Definitely among Argento's best, in my opinion. Comments ?.

Dave
07-04-2001, 03:09 AM
:)

It just didn't do it for me. It seemed so non Argento to me. Of course, I got into Argento by watching his later films, so that may explain it.

Anyway, the story section is just my opinion. As for the video quality, you're absolutely right - it's unbelievably good.

tobaccoman
11-14-2005, 04:19 AM
I just re-watched this for the first time after about a yearr and a half and I enjoyed it much more than I had originally. The second half started to lose me a little bit again, but it was still engaging for the mosst part and I feel it will only get better after more viewings. However, I feel no need to review it again soon.

RyanPC
11-14-2005, 04:23 AM
Yeah, this really takes a second viewing to fully appreciate. Didn't care for it too much the first time around, then for some reason I felt compelled to buy the DVD anyway (as the price is cheap as hell), watched it again, and now it's one of my favorite Argento films.

Erick H.
11-14-2005, 06:27 AM
I'm a big fan of this one.It's a clever,ultimately ironic,script and Malden and Fraciscus made a nice team.I LOVE the ending .

dwatts
11-14-2005, 10:21 AM
You know, this has grown to be one of my favorite, and most watched, Argento movies. The plot is solid (if a tad ridiculous), and there are some great performances. Fantastic film. The DVD still holds up too.

Crystal Plumage
11-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Cat is one of Argento's best IMO.Its characters are fully developed and there's alot of tension present.
OK,the chromosome thingwas a bit far fetched.But doesn't influence the movie.
I don't have the AB release.I have a Dutch disc which probably used the AB print.Though also could be the Italian print.No extras.I think I'll buy the AB disc sometime,just for the interview.

dwatts
11-14-2005, 01:12 PM
There is some good article on the underside of the cover of the AB one, Crystal Plumage - so that's a bonus too.

Crystal Plumage
11-14-2005, 01:20 PM
I'll include it in my next order (which probably isn't until the second half of 2006 :().It's very cheap (under $6) so I don't mind the double dip.
Thanks for the tip dwatts.

Shannafey
11-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah, this really takes a second viewing to fully appreciate. Didn't care for it too much the first time around, then for some reason I felt compelled to buy the DVD anyway (as the price is cheap as hell), watched it again, and now it's one of my favorite Argento films.

The first time I watched this, was the crappy Diamond DVD and I didn't enjoy it. Rewatching it on the AB DVD, was worlds of difference!!

Ash28M
11-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Yes but Isn't every Argento film better the second time around? You can never really judge his films on the first pass.

Katatonia
11-14-2005, 05:15 PM
The first time I watched this, was the crappy Diamond DVD and I didn't enjoy it. Rewatching it on the AB DVD, was worlds of difference!!

A friend of mine recently did the same watching it for the first time, although I think he watched the Platinum Disc version that's also croppy full screen. I begged him to watch it again in widescreen, but he'd have none of it!

KillerCannabis
11-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Just got this off DDD's 20% off sale for under $5. After reading all this praise it feels like I got a steal. I just watched Bird..... last week, so I'm very anxious to throw this disc in. I'm a bigger fab of Argento's earlier works, so I'm hoping I love this just as much.

Regurgitate
11-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Weird how this thread has popped up because I was seriously thinking about getting Cat. I had seen how cheap it was at DDD and I guess at that price you can't lose. Now I just have to find some other stuff to order. :p

4Gotten1
11-14-2005, 08:21 PM
I've always stated this is one of my favorite early Argento's. I enjoy this one even more that The Bird with the Crystal Plumage -- which its always seemed that most people prefer Bird to this one. Nice to see some props for this film.

Mortis
11-14-2005, 08:40 PM
It comes in the AB Fright Pack with five other movies for $17 shipped (after the DDD discount).

Regurgitate
11-14-2005, 09:39 PM
It comes in the AB Fright Pack with five other movies for $17 shipped (after the DDD discount).

Oh man, that would have been cool except for the fact that I already have "The Black Cat" and "Rats, Night of Terror". I dunno about Parasite or Zoltan but I want Slugs. I saw Slugs a few times back when they used to play horror movies every Saturday night on USA.

dwatts
11-14-2005, 10:37 PM
I loved Zoltan as a kid - but boy it's hard work now. Rats is so bad it's almost really funny. Still, at that price, what does a duplicate really matter?