PDA

View Full Version : McChrist reviews SHOGUN ASSASSIN (1980)

mcchrist
11-18-2003, 10:32 AM
www.cultstitch.com

Agent Z
11-18-2003, 12:07 PM
"My father tells me not to count the number of men he's killed, just to pray for the souls of those he's killed. I need to know how many souls to pray for, so I keep count..."

Classic line from a cult classic film. Great review mcchrist! I am still waiting to purchase the new LONE WOLF AND CUB releases (http://www.animeigo.com/samurai/lwc.t)...but, in the meantime, I can wholeheartedly recommend SHOGUN ASSASSIN to those who want a quick introduction to the stylistic flair and atmosphere of LWAC.

My favorite parts: the deadly female ninjas showing their skill before the hire.....and Lone Wolf taking on the Shogun's son.......

And yet, I also like some of the quieter moments in the film....such as a scene where Lone Wolf is taking a bath with his son in an Inn and he senses that they may be in danger.....and there's a great, quiet, 360 degree pan that is drawn-out and very effective in setting the tension. It's the little moments like this that set SHOGUN ASSASSIN and the LWAC series apart from the other action fare....

And what more can be said about the late Tomisaburo Wakayama ("Lone Wolf"/Ogami Itto)? He's very intense and able to pull off the physical fighting aspects of the role flawlessly.........without reducing the character of Lone Wolf into just another action stereotype.........

dwatts
11-18-2003, 02:32 PM
I have not seen this one in years. There is an R2 release, but it's Vipco. I remember it being a ton of fun though.

SaviniFan
11-18-2003, 08:34 PM
I've always wanted to see Shogun Assasin. I can remember the trailer playing on the TV in my younger days. Alas I was too young to see it alone and there was no way in hell my parents would take me to such a film. Here's to hoping it gets a good region 1 release in the future.

studio1
11-20-2003, 12:09 AM
excellent review McChrist - another gem I remember seeing when it first came out.

S1

Zodiac-Mindwarp
11-20-2003, 03:15 AM
Excellent review McChrist!

I saw this in the theater back in the early 80's and thought that it was great! I was even happier when I found out that it was parts of the first 2 episodes edited together. An outstanding series.

One day I will upgrade my Laserdisc set for the new Widescreen anamorphic DVD's, something that I am already looking forward to!

etale
11-22-2003, 08:00 AM
"My father tells me not to count the number of men he's killed, just to pray for the souls of those he's killed. I need to know how many souls to pray for, so I keep count..."

Classic line from a cult classic film. Great review mcchrist! I am still waiting to purchase the new LONE WOLF AND CUB releases (http://www.animeigo.com/samurai/lwc.t)...but, in the meantime, I can wholeheartedly recommend SHOGUN ASSASSIN to those who want a quick introduction to the stylistic flair and atmosphere of LWAC.

My favorite parts: the deadly female ninjas showing their skill before the hire.....and Lone Wolf taking on the Shogun's son.......

And yet, I also like some of the quieter moments in the film....such as a scene where Lone Wolf is taking a bath with his son in an Inn and he senses that they may be in danger.....and there's a great, quiet, 360 degree pan that is drawn-out and very effective in setting the tension. It's the little moments like this that set SHOGUN ASSASSIN and the LWAC series apart from the other action fare....

And what more can be said about the late Tomisaburo Wakayama ("Lone Wolf"/Ogami Itto)? He's very intense and able to pull off the physical fighting aspects of the role flawlessly.........without reducing the character of Lone Wolf into just another action stereotype.........

Saw it on Cinemax more years ago than I would want to try to count.
It was enjoyable, but I would love to see the original Japanese version.
I do remember us running the second one at the 1976 World SF Convention in KC.

mcchrist
11-24-2003, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! While I'm on an Asian kick, I just added reviews for Samurai Fiction and Gun Crazy Episode 1!

etale
11-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! While I'm on an Asian kick, I just added reviews for Samurai Fiction and Gun Crazy Episode 1!

Please do! :banana: