PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a title for my collection

joltaddict
02-03-2001, 12:21 AM
The Elite version of NOTLD is next on my list. Any opinions on what else I am missing?

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Exorcist - The Version You've Never Seen
The Exorcist - 25th
Evil Dead (Special Edition)
Evil Dead II
Halloween (Restored)
Hellraiser
Rosemary's Baby
The Shining
Candyman
From Dusk til Dawn
FROM DUSK TILL DAWN 3: THE HANGMAN'S DAUGHTER
Scream (Deluxe Edition)
The Amityville Horror
Tenderness of the Wolves
Dead Ringers (Criterion)
Alien
Aliens
Alien3
Alien Resurrection
Peeping Tom (Criterion)
Night Porter (Criterion)
Alice, Sweet Alice
Black Sabbath (Mario Bava Collection)
Twich of The Death Nerve (Mario Bava Collection)
A Nightmare on Elm Street
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2 Freddy's Revenge
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 Dream Warriors
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4 The Dream Master
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5 The Dream Child
Freddy's Dead The Final Nightmare
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
The Beyond
Final Destination
Poltergist
Asylum
Flesh For Frankenstein (Criterion)
Requiem For A Vampire
Ganja and Hess
I Spit on Your Grave
Funny Games
Silence Of The Lambs (Criterion)
Clean, Shaven
Psycho -1960 (Collectors Edtion)
Friday The 13th
Friday The 13th Part 2
Friday The 13th The Final Chapter
The Thing (Special Edition)
Cannibal Ferox
Pitch Black (Unrated)
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer
Dance with the Devil
Tenebre
Changeling
Ms. 45
Modern Vampires
New York Ripper
Phantasm
Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
Horror Hospital
Stir of Echoes
Cube
Carrie
Jacob's Ladder
Kalifornia
Cujo
Deep Red
Seven
Ravenous
The Cell
Kwaidan (Criterion)
Carnival of Souls (Criterion)
Slumber Party Massacre III
Dawn of The Dead
Day of the Dead
Straw Dogs
Tokyo Fist
Ilsa- She Wolf of the SS
Salem's Lot

Any glaring omisions jump out at you?

DopeChamberX
02-03-2001, 01:20 AM
How about:

Friday The 13th Part 3
Army of Darkness
Prince of Darkness

Mark Relford
02-03-2001, 04:07 AM
How about:

Blood Feast :D
City of the Living Dead
Angel Heart
Blue Velvet
Combat Shock

How's Tenderness of the Wolves? I've never seen it.

MovieFan
02-03-2001, 05:33 AM
How bout...

Dead-Alive
Inferno
Phenomena

Vdlman
02-03-2001, 03:23 PM
The Return of the Living Dead
Re-Animator
Bad Taste
The Frighteners

rhett
02-03-2001, 07:14 PM
Piranha: SE is a nice pickup. It is cheap and high on supplements.

Mark Relford
02-04-2001, 04:26 AM
joltaddict, Combat Shock's a very depressing and downright nihilistic movie. In my opinion, it's one of the better movies in Troma's library. It's about this Vietnam vet named Frankie who's constantly searching for a job to support his nagging wife and mutated baby. Poverty, local scumbag drug dealers, nightmarish Nam flashbacks- it's just an average day for this poor soul. But how long can a man wade through ugliness and desperation before he snaps?
The transfer's pretty decent for this type of no budget movie. It's certainly not demo material, but it's better than the VHS. Extras: a fun commentary with director, Buddy Giovinazzo and Jorg Buttgereit, a brief still gallery, an interview with Giovinazzo, and the usual Troma propaganda.
Also, check out Giovinazzo's No Way Home. (with Tim Roth.) Hope this helps!

joltaddict
02-04-2001, 06:01 AM
I am trying to build the ultimate horror collection and my wishlest just got shrunk bigtime, I got the X-files and Sopranos boxsets and they were big bucks so I haven't really added to the horror colection lately. I realized my wishlist was getting kinda tiny.

DopeChamberX, both Fri part 3 and Prince of Darkness (along with Mouth of Madness) are on my to get eventually list.

I know NOTLD is a big gaping hole in the collection so that is next. Rabid Dogs looks pretty promising too. I was hoping to get a concensus on the lacking titles.

Mark Relford, Tenderness of the Wolves is a bit artsy, not even close to one of my favorites. Is the Combat Shock DVD you recommended really that good? I like the rest of your suggestions but I have never even seen this movie let alone the DVD.

MovieFan, something about Dead Alive just rubs me the wrong way, I did not find it funny and I definetely did not think it was scary. I thought it was waaaaaayyy too cheesy, but I must be wrong since it has so many enthusiastic supporters :)

Vdlman, Re-Aminator was not on my list for some reason. Thanks. Must have slipped by me.

DVD Connoisseur
02-04-2001, 03:29 PM
Mark's spot on with his comments on Combat Shock. If you like Combat Shock, you'll love Deadbeat at Dawn. Low budget, gritty and very, very downbeat...it's the perfect partner for Combat Shock.

joltaddict, add Story of Ricky to your must-have list. Also, Robocop (Criterion). ;)

DVD Connoisseur
02-04-2001, 03:33 PM
Nearly forgot to mention one of the best releases of last year - Evil Dead Trap. Add this bad boy to your list, joltaddict...trust me, you won't be disappointed. Choose the Synapse release - it's great quality and comes in a lovely blue case - a worthy addition to any collection! This movie is scary and violent - excellent Saturday night viewing!

Jason25
02-04-2001, 11:57 PM
I'll second Deadbeat At Dawn, very cool film.

I think you must add these to your collection, which is a nice one by the way.

Communion
They Live
Zombie
Don't Torture A Duckling
Torso

joltaddict
02-05-2001, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Mark Relford:
Combat Shock's a very depressing and downright nihilistic movie.

I like that in a movie :)

DVD Connoisseur, I almost got this (Evil Dead Trap) and threw it out of my shopping cart in favor of Kwaidan. I wish I hadn't now, I will eventually add this title.

Piranha looked like it had a pretty good suck-posibility. It has "cheese" written all over that Jaws rip off poster. I really want the ultimat "scary-movie" collection, I am trying to avoid the whole comedy horror subgenre unless I really love the movie (Evil Dead II). Ditto for Story of Ricky.

Jason25 your list is more of what I am looking for. Torso in particular looks pretty cool.