PDA

View Full Version : Polanski poll

Yowie
07-06-2001, 03:09 PM
Is Roman Polanski horror ?. I'd say he is (sort of), and he's made the best movie ever in the whole history of motion pictures; "The Fearless Vampire Killers". I think he qualifies for a poll.

Mark Relford
07-07-2001, 05:34 AM
I second your choice for The Fearless Vampire Killers. It's my favorite Polanski film of all time. Jack MacGowran and Polanski made great bumbling vampire killers. And those sets were amazing!
I desperately want this classic on DVD. MGM, hurry the hell up and release it!:D

betterdan
07-07-2001, 06:42 AM
The ninth gate was great...NOT! Damn that movie blew and I wanted to like it because of Polanski. Oh well just felt like sharing that...

Cujo108
07-07-2001, 07:10 AM
Sorry, but I think Polanski's best film is definitely Rosemary's Baby. I absolutely love that film! It is one of my all time favorites. It is so brilliantly done and suspenseful. I can't getenough of it.

betterdan
07-07-2001, 09:13 AM
I totally agree with you Cujo. Rosemary's Baby is a must have dvd.

Yowie
07-07-2001, 07:20 PM
Sure, "Rosemary's Baby" is great, a genius movie, I love it and everything, but I just like "Fearless..." better. Like Mark said, those fairytale-like sets are absolutely wonderful. Not a bad scene in that movie, it's perfect from start to finish. He's done so many different (genre) movies, so I guess it's a matter of personal taste which one appeals to you most. "Repulsion" and "The Tenant" are brilliant too. -Can't wait for those to materialize on DVD. Let's hope a future MGM (or Warner) disc does "Fearless..." justice, like their Laserdisc did. By the way, I haven't even seen "Ninth Gate" yet. (-Not much of a Depp fan !.)

mcchrist
07-07-2001, 08:54 PM
The Ninth Gate has to be my favorite. Everything up to the ending was shear brilliance, the earthy tones, the lighting, the mystery, this is what its all about folks! It doesn't get much better than this.

betterdan
07-08-2001, 01:38 AM
The Ninth gate was THE worst movie Polanski has ever made. He should be very ashamed.

Mark Relford
07-08-2001, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Yowie
I haven't even seen "Ninth Gate" yet. (-Not much of a Depp fan !.)

You should check it out sometime. It's a pretty decent film. Too bad, the ending's a letdown. Depp does a good job in the acting department.

Haven't seen Polanski's Knife in the Water or Bitter Moon. Any good?

Yowie
07-08-2001, 09:22 PM
I saw it many years ago, and I remember "Knife In The Water" being pretty good. Far from his best, but if you know his early short films, or "Repulsion", the tone is similar. "Bitter Moon" is not even a thriller, but a rather disappointing erotic drama. Like the slightly better "Death And The Maiden", it didn't do an awful lot for me.

rhett
07-09-2001, 05:49 PM
I am a big fan of Polanski's work, most notably Vampire Killers, Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby. Did anyone see his version of Hamlet? I thought it was pretty decent and could probably classify itself as horror. You have got to give Polanski credit on that one, after all, he had to work with Hugh Hefner as the producer! :eek:

Death In The Maiden is a very eerie movie, and I enjoyed it. Weaver and Kingsly were excellent. This plays like a fine stage play, and I thought it was very interesting!

Yowie
07-09-2001, 07:05 PM
You mean "Macbeth", right ?. Yeah, that's a nice & nasty movie. But you're right, it comes close to being a horror film with its witches and everything. I even heard someone call it splatter !. Let's hope it surfaces soon.

Jason25
07-12-2001, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by betterdan
The Ninth gate was THE worst movie Polanski has ever made. He should be very ashamed.

That's fine if you feel that way, you are entitled to your opinion, but I thought The Ninth Gate was terrific, with an excellent performance by Depp. I need to get this one on dvd.

Mario77
07-15-2001, 08:00 AM
I love Fearless Vampire Killers, Rosemary's Baby, Repulsion, and The Ninth Gate.... and I think his Macbeth is most definately a horror film -- and a superb one at that.