PDA

View Full Version : Shock Waves

Erich
12-10-2003, 05:27 AM
Here you go - my review for Shock Waves - I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did typing it ;) .

“Once They Were Almost Human! Beneath the living... Beyond the dead... From the depths of Hell's Ocean! The Deep End of Horror!” With a tagline that good, you just know this movie will be a real treat! Yes, zombie movies have come in all shapes and sizes, and some are simply more effective than others. Although having gore is nearly a necessity for this great subgenre, “Shock Waves” is a prime example of how effective a horror movie can be with minimal gore shots. Also, the inclusion of both Peter Cushing and John Carradine greatly helps the movie. Even if “Shock Waves” is not ranked as one of the greatest of all zombie movies, it will certainly stand out as one of the finest of the Nazi-zombie movies.
It is wonderful boating weather, and a group of stereotypical tourists all signed up to take a peaceful little tour of the high seas. However, they were not counting on having to put up with the amusingly-cranky ship captain (John Carradine). He makes it quite clear that he won’t take them back to shore early, since he refuses to give refunds on what they paid him. Later that night, our love interest Rose (Brooke Adams) is talking with the assistant captain, Keith (Luke Halpin – of Flipper fame), hoping to convince him to turn the ship around. But they are interrupted when a large ship appears in the fog, and is heading right towards them. Despite his best efforts, they collide and their smaller boat winds up stuck on a reef. The next morning there is a mysterious rusted-out wreck that looks like it could have been the ship that hit them, other than the fact that it seemed to have been completely disabled for several decades. With few options, the group rows to the nearby island in hopes of finding some help. What they do find is an old mansion, and the equally old SS Commander (Peter Cushing) who has been living here alone for years. It seems that he was in charge of a special scientific team that was studying ways to re-animate the dead corpses of fallen troops, trying to create a superior soldier (read: zombie). Although this project had stopped at the fall of the Third Reich, there was enough time for them to create a small platoon of these zombies, who have been living in the waters around the island ever since! As nighttime arrives, the people know they need to hurry and get off the island, before the zombies return to kill them all. However, with the only way off the island being through zombie-infested waters, things are looking dismal for our heroes right from the beginning.
“Shock Waves” is a mixed-bag, but it receives good marks as a whole. The acting is very poor, except for Carradine and Cushing, who together succeed in making up for the others’ downfalls. The “zombies” are not very convincing since they do not act like “zombies should” – but that is excusable since this movie came before either Romero or Fulci were doing their zombie movies, so the guidelines were not set down yet. In fact, if you look at the other zombie movies of the time – like Garden of the Dead and Plague of the Zombies – it actually is quite decent. And the Nazi-zombies do have some very creepy moments – just never “zombie moments.” If you are a zombie-fanatic like me, or if you are just looking for something to mix up the usual movie set, this is a good one to watch.
The DVD, being released by Blue Underground, is sure to please. The video is almost certainly the best out there – for being made in 1977, it is surprising clear. The audio definitely seems like it was done on a soundstage for much of the movie, but this is also easily forgiven. The movie is also given more special features than you could hope for (Thank You, Blue Underground) – multiple trailers, radio spots, TV spots, a very large collection of stills and artwork, a commentary track, and an interview with Luke Halpin about the movie! For being a mere $15, this is one excellent purchase!

Breakdown
Story: 8 / 10
Audio: 4 / 5
Video: 4 / 5
DVD: 5 / 5
Total: 8.4 / 10

Numania
12-10-2003, 07:01 AM
This movie is one of my favorite zombie movies. The zombies work slowly like Romero's, but they are sneaky...and creepy. I'm glad I bought this movie when it came out...well, BU style.

Katatonia
12-10-2003, 07:29 AM
The DVD, being released by Blue Underground, is sure to please. The video is almost certainly the best out there – for being made in 1977, it is surprising clear. The audio definitely seems like it was done on a soundstage for much of the movie, but this is also easily forgiven. The movie is also given more special features than you could hope for (Thank You, Blue Underground) – multiple trailers, radio spots, TV spots, a very large collection of stills and artwork, a commentary track, and an interview with Luke Halpin about the movie! For being a mere $15, this is one excellent purchase!

Breakdown
Story: 8 / 10
Audio: 4 / 5
Video: 4 / 5
DVD: 5 / 5
Total: 8.4 / 10

I didn't think the DVD quality was all that great. But, since the original negative to the film was lost I can understand why. The Blue Sunshine DVD from Synapse looked much better. The negative to that film was destroyed also, but it had a better remastering job than what I noticed for the Shock Waves DVD from Blue Underground. I also saw a lot of light/dark contrast issues while viewing Shock Waves, some minor chemical damage on the print it looked like too. It probably could have been touched up a little more. But, it's better than the old Shock Waves VHS, so it's still the best version of the movie out there. The special features make up for the picture quality.

Erich
12-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I never quite know how to rate things like video quality - because it may not be perfect, but if it is the better/best copy out there, I don't feel like putting it down. I wasn't even aware of the Blue Sunshine transfer - do you know what features that disk had?

Mok
12-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I never quite know how to rate things like video quality - because it may not be perfect, but if it is the better/best copy out there, I don't feel like putting it down. I wasn't even aware of the Blue Sunshine transfer - do you know what features that disk had?

Haven't seen this but I wll now - thanks! I remember thinking the poster was cool when I was a kid.

Ash28M
12-10-2003, 06:01 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Erich

"The “zombies” are not very convincing since they do not act like “zombies should” – but that is excusable since this movie came before either Romero or Fulci were doing their zombie movies, so the guidelines were not set down yet"
---------------------------------------------------------------

Romero did Night of the living dead in 1968

Katatonia
12-10-2003, 06:17 PM

It's definitely the best out there as far as picture quality goes. It's just a shame that the original negatives for Shock Waves are apparently lost forever. Great review though! :evil:

The Blue Sunshine DVD is quite good. I purchased it on a chance since I'd never even seen it before. I really enjoyed the film however, very creepy and intensely odd. The "restoration comparison scene" on the DVD is quite interesting because it shows just how bad the print was and how great it looked after the intense remastering job by Syanapse. The sole original negatives for the film were destroyed in a flood of the film vault...or something like that.

:::Reading special features off back of DVD case::: Original Mono audio and a new 5.1 sound re-mix, an full length audio commentary by director Jeff Lieberman, 30 minute audio interview with Lieberman, his short film called "The Ringer", still gallery, rare original theatrical trailer, and liner notes.

The best thing is probably the bonus CD with the entire creepy soundtrack, even the cheesy disco song! Supposed to be "Limited Availability" as marked on the front cover...but who knows. :evil:

rhett
12-10-2003, 10:44 PM
I had to review this for the site (review here (http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/n-z/sws/)) without having seen it before, and I was very impressed. The film has since grown on me over time, and has quickly become one of my favorite zombie and even favorite horror movies. I thought the zombie scenes were handled great, and were easily creepier than any other zombie flicks out there. Those shots underwater really give a sense of forboding danger; the zombies are always coming, and their slow but driving walk gives the film a degree of nightmarish dread. The mood this film creates in its best moments is benchmark quality. And while the acting may not be great, its amateurness sort of gives the film a degree of realism. Seeing a young Brooke Adams in a bikini is not going to get any complaints from me either.

As for the picture quality, I think this is one of those movies that benefit from a grainy presentation. Like THE HILLS HAVE EYES, the subject matter and cinematography are routed in exploitation, and a crystal clear master just wouldn't seem right.

Anyway, good review for a great film. Glad you liked it!

onebyone
12-11-2003, 12:31 AM
I just recently got and watched this too and was considering writing a review for it, but I see there is no need as I pretty much agree with you on everything. I got this movie based on recommendations from folks here, noteably rhett, and am very glad I did. It is excellent.

Erich
12-11-2003, 04:03 AM
I'm glad you all like the review - and my bad about "which movie came first." Had I stopped to think about the years, I would've noticed that NotLD came first... but you know how it is late at night :)

VideoViolence
12-11-2003, 06:16 AM
Shock Waves is a good flick.

Tom Servo
12-11-2003, 02:02 PM
After reading your review (very nice by the the way) I think that I need to go see this movie. I'm a big fan of zombie films, but I had not heard about this one. Thanks for the information.

poorlogic
12-13-2003, 01:48 AM
Bought it today, going to watch for the first time tonight!

mutleyhyde
12-13-2003, 02:25 AM
Good to see such interest and good things said about one of my favorite movies from early childhood.

betterdan
12-13-2003, 03:58 AM
Good to see such interest and good things said about one of my favorite movies from early childhood.

It SUCKED Hyde!
Just kidding I loved it :D

poorlogic
12-13-2003, 05:24 AM
What a great film, the bad print gave it a cool "Last House On Dead-End Street" feel. It didn't need gore, them damn nazi-zombie were freaky enough. The scene where the zombies come out of the water had me freaking out - what an amazing visual! I wish I had picked this DVD a long time ago... one of the better films I've seen in a long time!

Ash28M
12-16-2003, 04:55 AM
Just got done watching it for the first time great suspense and creepy images, I really enjoyed it.

Nasty Nate
12-17-2003, 09:08 PM
Classic flick. Skitzo has a song called Frozen Dead on their last cd which is based on this movie.

Erich
12-18-2003, 05:36 AM
I normally don't rewatch a movie for at least 2 months, but these quick quotes about the movie's greatness are getting to me - maybe I'll throw it back in tonight and scare myself again this soon already :banana:

Katatonia
12-20-2003, 07:58 AM
Classic flick. Skitzo has a song called Frozen Dead on their last cd which is based on this movie.

Skitzo are a pretty interesting band. I've still got a couple of their CD's from my metal 'zine reviewing days. I'll have to pull one out just to hear Frozen Dead now! :evil:

InkyWretch
12-24-2003, 04:04 AM
The scene where the zombies come out of the water had me freaking out - what an amazing visual!

I agree completely. That shot stayed with me for years. I can't even look at the box cover without feeling a little shudder. I know it's not your standard zombie movie, but I thought it really worked. I think the main difference between the Shockwaves zombies and traditional zombies is that the former kill for the sake of killing rather than eating. It made them much more rational, in a sense, although that's a strange word to apply to zombies.

Shannafey
07-18-2004, 04:52 AM
I finally saw this for the first time tonight. I have to say the pacing is very slow and nothing much happens in the first 45 min. The atmosphere is great. The zombies look great. The acting is great. All in all, a very good film, but very slow and because of that, I can't see sitting through repeat viewings! Also, the original release of the film got a PG rating. Why does the Blue Underground DVD show unrated? A ploy for sales, maybe? The film definitely was PG material.

Marka1620
07-18-2004, 04:57 AM
As you can see by my icon, I love this movie.

satans-sadists
08-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Shock Waves is finally getting released on Blu-ray from Blue Underground on October 28th. Amazon now has it available to pre-order.

Eddyw78
08-01-2014, 05:23 PM
Shock Waves is finally getting released on Blu-ray from Blue Underground on October 28th. Amazon now has it available to pre-order.

One of the BU titles I have been waiting for on BD. Love this movie.

Franco
08-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Pre-order:
http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Waves-Blu-ray-Peter-Cushing/dp/B00M58FRG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406913522&sr=8-1&keywords=shock+waves+bluray

burieddeep
08-02-2014, 01:54 AM
Watching the grainy old dvd right now...it's been a while...can't wait for the blu!

Erick H.
08-02-2014, 08:23 AM
Wonder how much of an improvement the Blu will be ? The negative was lost, the film was sourced for DVD from the director's own 35mm print. Shot on Super 16 too.

Katatonia
08-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Wonder how much of an improvement the Blu will be ? The negative was lost, the film was sourced for DVD from the director's own 35mm print. Shot on Super 16 too.

If my memory serves, they just said that the vault materials "disappeared" years ago and could no longer be located. They might have been able to finally track them down...or at least found a better print to use.

Somebody over on Blu-ray.com (http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=9515997&postcount=49) said BU confirmed that "it's a fresh 2K scan of a 35mm print."

elDomenechHDG
08-02-2014, 04:00 PM

I believe the print that was used for the DVD came from a 16mm print. It certainly looked it. But that's about to be rectified as it seems we're getting a new 2K master from a 35mm print. Best news I've heard in a long time.

satans-sadists
08-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Pre-order:
http://www.amazon.com/Shock-Waves-Blu-ray-Peter-Cushing/dp/B00M58FRG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406913522&sr=8-1&keywords=shock+waves+bluray

The release date has now been changed to November 25th.

Eddyw78
08-05-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. I wonder if they have located a print that has those missing scenes of bodies floating to the surface of the sea which is then discussed by the boat passengers in a later scene.

JamesBrummel2
08-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Sad to say one of my favorite Nazi Zombies passed away recently. Maeder was covering the film for a local paper and was recruited to zombie up. Or something like that. Awesome movie, the music and the stylish but unobtrusive cinematography sold me. I haven't seen it in a decade but can hear the scare music now. can't wait for a BD, although I agree the grainy DVD has a great feel.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/newser-jay-maeder-dead-67-article-1.1888581

Erick H.
08-06-2014, 08:39 AM
A shame about Mr. Maeder. I had read about how he wrangled his way into SHOCK WAVES, great story. Rest In Peace.

Darga
08-06-2014, 11:43 PM
I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. I wonder if they have located a print that has those missing scenes of bodies floating to the surface of the sea which is then discussed by the boat passengers in a later scene.

What's the story with the missing scene? Has anyone actually seen it? I don't remember it being in the old VHS release either.

rijir
08-07-2014, 01:46 AM
What's the story with the missing scene? Has anyone actually seen it? I don't remember it being in the old VHS release either.

In the DVD commentary they mention a scene cut where they go aboard the old rusted Nazi ship.

Darga
08-07-2014, 04:12 PM
I guess I never listened to the commentary. I suppose that's what I'll be doing tonight!

JamesBrummel2
08-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Wasn't there a shot of the "ghost" ship carradine mentions, a small boat with a skeleton or something lashed to it?

gunner
08-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Looking forward to this blu-ray! What is the summer camp movie where the kids meet in the rec hall for movie night and Shockwaves is playing? Always meant to ask that.

elDomenechHDG
08-08-2014, 11:36 AM
If it turns out that there's going to be more footage shown for Shock Waves in the upcoming BD release I'm going to be on cloud 9. Not that it needs it, but extra footage is always interesting, especially for movies we really like. What other reason could there be for a 2-month delay??

JamesBrummel2
08-08-2014, 05:00 PM
What other reason could there be for a 2-month delay??Tje usual bullshit?
Something I always loved about SWaves was that after they made this really restrained, austere, carefully crafted film Trane and Weidernhorn next did the Animal House knock off KING FRAT. I hope it had plenty of booger jokes.

second301
10-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Mondo-Digital reviews blu-ray release

http://www.mondo-digital.com/shockwaves.html

Matt89
10-24-2014, 05:53 PM
I can't wait for this I really enjoyed it when Blue Underground first released the DVD. Sounds like it got a nice transfer.

~Matt

Angelman
10-24-2014, 07:24 PM
Top 10 all-time favorite for me. I got to see it on the big screen at The New Beverly in LA about 5-10 years ago with a packed house. Played just as well as when I first saw it.

Erick H.
10-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Looking forward to this blu-ray! What is the summer camp movie where the kids meet in the rec hall for movie night and Shockwaves is playing? Always meant to ask that.

MEATBALLS, an early hit for Bill Murray and director Ivan Reitman.

Erick H.
10-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Sounds like I need to upgrade.

satans-sadists
10-28-2014, 03:11 PM
DVD Drive-In review of the Blu-ray: http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/n-s/shockwaves77blu.htm

burieddeep
10-28-2014, 05:12 PM
DVD Drive-In review of the Blu-ray: http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/n-s/shockwaves77blu.htm

Two good reviews of this now...I'm confident about upgrading:)