PDA

View Full Version : a laserdisc SCORE!

Jasondog
01-10-2001, 08:22 AM
felt the need to brag...

I just got the Elite laserdisc for the Stepford Wives and the Collector's Edition CAV laser for Logan's Run (from 1997, which has a hella lot more then the DVD; and had a retail of $79.98) for $18 TOGETHER!

Deep breaths Jasondog, deep breaths http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

ArrowBeach
01-10-2001, 11:04 AM
STEPFORD WIVES LD isnt that rare, my best score ws SALO LD, NEW SEALED for 5.00 bucks, and TOKYO OLYMPIAD, MEANCE TO SOCIETY, and VENGENACE IS MINE, criterion, for 8 buckas a piece, NEW!

Paff
01-10-2001, 04:24 PM
OK, here's just some of my best LD "scores": Salo for $25, Suspiria (factory sealed) for $10, Strange Brew for $15, The Adventures of Ford Fairlane for $10, Black Christmas (widescreen) for $14, and Kiki's Delivery Service for $5

There's a lot more though...

gunner
01-10-2001, 06:57 PM
Oh Yeah,I got Dawn of the Dead,Evil Dead,Texas Chainsaw Massacre,and Night of the Living Dead all are the collectors editions by Elite.I also got roan laserdiscs of Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers,Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things, and Gargoyles.And now the price...FREE
I kept bugging the owner of a local video store who had these as rentals to sell them to me,When he finially decided he would stop carrying laserdiscs he sold all of his titles as a bulk rate to some outfit out of state.And he saved out the above titles for me and asked for nothing in return.Probably the best day of luck I ever had.

Jasondog
01-10-2001, 09:05 PM
I know Stepford Wives isnt rare, but for $8 you cant complain http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

I was more excited about nabbing Logan's Run

and gunner Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers is one of my favourite lasers http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

Paff
01-10-2001, 09:55 PM
You know, I'd venture to say that ANY Elite laserdisc you buy for less than list price can be called a "score"

I'll take the Pepsi Challenge with an Elite LD and a non-anamorphic DVD any day of the week.

And if the Dawn of the Dead edition you got for free was the CAV box set, Gunner, I might have to repeatedly slap you about the head ya lucky bastid

Vdlman
01-10-2001, 09:55 PM
Speaking of Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers, RetroMedia Entertainment is going to be releasing it and some of Fred Olen Ray's other movies on DVD soon. I can hardly wait!

[This message has been edited by Vdlman (edited 01-10-2001).]

BigDeg187
01-11-2001, 12:07 AM
Whats the differnce between the normal dawn of the dead, and the CAV box set? I orderd both, and should be recieving them pretty soon. I don't know whats so cool about the CAV box set, I mean you have to change discs every hour.

------------------
Wanna see something really scary? Vistit http://www.SavageCinema.com

gunner
01-11-2001, 02:29 PM
Yes,I did get the cav box set of dawn of the dead for free.The condition of the sleeve has some minor wear but it still looks great.I love how elite gave it a simple yet sophisticated artwork.Keep checking video rental stores in your area and beyond.The market is dead on laser rentals so alot of stores are selling off thier whole inventories to these bulk buyers.You might be able to get one really cheap if not free.Oh here's the best part,only 5 people ever rented the dawn box set and of course one of them was me.Laserdiscs never really caught on in my state (maine).
And to big deg,in my opinion what makes the cav set of dawn so special is the commentary track.It's the only way to get this track,anchor bay never got rights to use it but they might eventually since they did end up getting the evil dead 2 track.

[This message has been edited by gunner (edited 01-11-2001).]

Paff
01-11-2001, 04:23 PM
Oh, I've done the vulture thing at so many stores it's ridiculous. Hell, that's where I got my Ford Fairlane, Trauma, Chasing Amy (long before the DVD came out), Mute Witness, and Out of Sight.

But where I am, all LD rental outlets are done and scavenged out. We're down to two retail stores, and one is doing their last gasp blowout sale as well, so within a month, it will just be one. (luckily that one is Ross' Exchange, a guy who absolutely loves LD and has no plans to get out of it. In fact, he's one of those guys who BUYS the inventory of the going-out-of-business places).

So in the past month, I've been a regular at Movie Trader (soon to be Moby Disc) where they're dumping their lasers for $5. Among others, I've picked up Mimic, The Relic, Goodfellas, Scarface, Scream Greats - Tom Savini, The Rock, Face/Off, Broken Arrow, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Army of Darkness, Serial Mom, Cold Eyes of Fear, Kiki's Delivery Service, Bad Lieutenant, Barton Fink, Excalibur, Quiz Show, Sneakers, In the Mouth of Madness, Cliffhanger, and box sets of Jaws, Alien, and The Abyss. No Dawn of the Dead box set though.

And while the bones have pretty much been picked through, if there's any LDs people want, I'll be glad to look for them there.

gunner
01-11-2001, 04:30 PM
I want the collectors edition of The Howling.Do you think you can see if you can locate that?

Paff
01-11-2001, 04:57 PM
Please. If they had a copy of The Howling for $5, don't you think I would have snapped it up by now?

Your other option might be good ol' Ross though. He's a local guy, though he does sell through the Net ( http://www.rossexchange.com ). Once you become an established customer (aka buy something from him), you can set up a "want list" of up to 5 discs. He'll put down your name, and if a disc comes in, he'll offer it to you before he puts it in inventory. His prices are $14 for a single disc, $20 for a double disc, and special editions (like The Howling) are 1/2 off the original list price.