PDA

View Full Version : The House on the Edge of the Park

Tom Servo
12-15-2003, 04:50 PM
This Italian film (originally called La Casa speduta nel parco) is about a young mechanic named Alex (David Hess) who is a little unbalanced. The movie opens up by showing him chasing down a fellow motorist, cutting her off, raping her, and killing her. The opening to the film has no lead in at all and you are thrust unknowingly into the movie as if you had been watching it for 15 minutes. It is a very unique and refreshing way to open up a movie.

Now, we switch over to Alex at his mechanics shop finishing up and getting ready for a night on the town. As he just finishes getting ready another car pulls in and a young couple asks if he could fix their car quickly. Alex’s friend Ricky (Giovanni Lombardo Radice) fixes the car the car for the young couple as Alex manipulates the two travelers into taking him and Ricky to the “party”. The group joins up with the party and everyone seems to be having a good time. That is until Alex suspects the group of five are taking advantage of his friend Ricky (who is a little slow). The party really starts for Alex as he pulls a razor blade and starts to have some fun of his own. What follows are hours of terror as Alex and Ricky have their way with the women and beat up the men. Alex is by far the more aggressive of the two and takes control early and doesn’t let up on the helpless group. The movie continues on in this way (almost a continuing circle) until the end where the movie throws in a plot twist.

After seeing The Last House on the Left and The House on the Edge of the Park I have to say that if I saw David Hess walking down the street I would get to the other side. He pulls of the psychopathic sex maniac so well in both films it almost comes off as being natural. His performance really decided what type of film this would be. If it were a weak actor I could easily see the film as becoming mediocre and somewhat boring. He brings life to the character that makes the whole film seem to come alive. Alex has a tough love relationship with his friend Ricky. It is clear that Ricky looks up to him and Alex feeds off the artificial power. He acts rough with Ricky, but it is easy to see that he genuinely cared about him. He looked after him and made sure he wasn’t left behind. When I look at this film I think it is easy to say that the characters made this film. The setting was unchanged through the whole film so the actors really had to step it up to keep the movie fresh using their characters. The plot was basic and I think the “twist” at the end of the film was unneeded and seemed trite. I liked the flow that the film had it seemed be well balanced in the way it sped up and slowed down. It was done in a very gradual way and I was very pleased. The movie was very graphic and definitely not for everyone. If sex crazed maniacs aren’t your thing, then don’t see this film. If you’ve seen The Last House on the Left and like it this film is more of the same and is deserves a look.

The DVD I have is a horror classics disc that is about $5 and gives 4 classic horror films on DVD. That being said the extras are…nonexistent! I’m not too disappointed by this because it gave me many horror films for a small amount of money. The audio of the film is a little uneven and if you live in an area where you need to keep the sound at a certain level, be prepared to keep the remote handy to adjust the volume. If you have free range on the volume I suggest you turn the volume up so you can hear it all. The video for the film is typical of a low budget 1980’s film. It is grainy and washed out, but if you watch a lot of horror films it is nothing out of the ordinary. I would always like a clearer picture, but I am fine with a decent looking copy of an already older low budget film. Like I said before the extras don’t exist, but for $5 the disc is a great deal and I suggest picking up every volume of this great set.

Breakdown
Story: 8 / 10
Audio: 2 / 5
Video: 3 / 5
DVD: 1 / 5
Total: 5.6 / 10

Tawny
12-15-2003, 05:20 PM
David Hess= Scary Rapist :nervous: I'm really surprised he didn't rape Adrienne Barbeau in Swamp Thing. "Watch, out, he's gonna rape you!" :lol:

I like House on the Edge of the Park a lot better than Last House. Some of the "rape" scenes were actually kind of erotic. Like those chicks were enjoying it or something. :evil: One of the chicks kind of reminded me of Catherine Zeta Jones. I liked the guy who played the retarded buddy.Good movie. :D

Zodiac-Mindwarp
12-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Great review Tom!

I love House On The Edge Of The Park. I totally agree about the great performance from Hess. He really creeped me out in Last House On The Left, as well as Edge Of The Park.

I have never watched the DVD on this, but I did get it for Christmas last year. Looks like I should pull it off the shelf, and finally give it a spin!

dwatts
12-15-2003, 10:43 PM
My take on this: http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=12485

I enjoyed it too - somehow :)

Numania
12-15-2003, 11:52 PM
I didn't really like this. Although the black chick was wicked hot, and the scream by the pool was wicked cool. I think the idea of this movie was a lot better than the fleshed out version.

zombi3
12-16-2003, 04:39 AM
I liked the guy who played the retarded buddy.Good movie. :D

John Morghen is the man. He's a real ham in front of the camera and you can almost always count on a messy demise from the moment you see him on screen.:evil::D

reddye5
12-23-2003, 03:24 AM
The best part is when Morghen is doing his little dance scene, and the bald black broad says, "Hot Diggity."

Now, that is classic beyond words!

betterdan
12-23-2003, 04:13 AM
Hot Diggity! :lol:
Somehow I really liked that song they were playing :nervous:
Out of all the dirty sleazy movies I've seen this is the only one that made me want to take a shower afterwards. This movie is an all time sleaze great!

SaviniFan
12-23-2003, 03:22 PM
The best part is when Morghen is doing his little dance scene, and the bald black broad says, "Hot Diggity."

Now, that is classic beyond words!

ROFL! :lol: :lol: I gotta agree with you there. That is a definite highlite of the movie. That part cracks me up everytime!

Wez4555
12-24-2003, 03:10 PM
bad ass movie! for some reason i seem to like every movie ive seen david hess in. last house, house on the edge of the park, and hitchhike. great movies. as for hot diggity..its truely funny...even more so because her lips arent even moving.

Coverdale
12-24-2003, 07:41 PM
Or when the rich guy with the jacket (Howard?) says "That is really FINE!" in a fake Southern accent as Rickey dances!