PDA

View Full Version : Worst Horror Remake?

Mark Relford
07-09-2001, 04:26 AM
Just when you thought it was safe...

It's poll time, kiddies! Here's the companion piece to the Worst Horror Sequel poll. So, grab those barf bags and vote!

betterdan
07-09-2001, 04:44 AM
I voted for psycho. Damn that so called movie pissed me off. i can't believe I wasted money renting it.

Erg0n
07-09-2001, 05:15 AM
gotta go with the haunting

Yowie
07-09-2001, 07:17 AM
Yep, definitely "The Haunting". -God, I hate it. CGI is quite simply the root of all evil !. And "Carnival" must be a close 2nd. -What a disgrace.

Jason25
07-09-2001, 08:16 AM
The Shining TV mini-series, hands down, what a pile of shit!

Dave
07-09-2001, 03:11 PM
I actually liked The Shining TV miniseries. I haven't read the book, but from what I've heard on the net, it's a better representation of the novel.

My vote when to Psycho 1998 - a total slap in the face to Hitchcock. Normally I hate remakes; I think they're a waste of time. I loved Night of the Living Dead 1990, though.

rhett
07-09-2001, 05:43 PM
The Piranha remake was terrible! It tried to play like a scary film when the original plot was laughable to begin with!

As far as my feelings concerning The Shining TV Mini-Series, I thought it was good entertainment, but not nearly as good as Kubrick's film. It was much truer to the book (with the hedge animals and the further focus on the ghosts) but being a TV Movie it lacked adequate actors and was pretty toned down compared to most horror.

Andrew
07-10-2001, 02:11 AM
What a piece of shit! I hated every second of it, and I haven't even seen the original.

Am I the one person in the world who didn't hate the Psycho remake? I thought it was decent.

AceRimRat
07-10-2001, 06:35 AM
So HackMaster, where's the Russo poll? :mad:

Just joking with you! I voted for Psycho, though I must confess I haven't seen all the others. I don't think it was a weak film, just a waste of time and talent. I would have liked to see Van Sant try to actually remake the film, rather than just reshoot it. He was gonna get flamed either way, would've been interesting to see what he might've done different.

Mark Relford
07-11-2001, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by AceRimRat
So HackMaster, where's the Russo poll?:mad:

Ace, be careful what you wish for.:D

As for lousy horror remakes, my vote went to the putrid Psycho remake. (What a waste!)
I forgot to add Carpenter's yawn inducing remake of Village of the Damned. (Right, rhett?);):D

mcchrist
07-11-2001, 10:11 PM
Hey, what is the Langella Dracula doing here? I rather enjoyed it. BTW: I thought John Carpenter's Village of the Damned to be adequate, not great but enjoyable enough.

Paff
07-11-2001, 10:28 PM
Had to go with Psycho.

I mean, why do remakes in the first place? Well, you do them if you want to upgrade the special effects to modern standards (The Thing, The Fly), update the story to fit with modern times (The Blob), or show an aspect of the story not explored the first time (The Shining).

Some of these updates work, some don't. In The Haunting, they tried to update everything but lost the appeal of the original. Very bad remake, but at least in their minds they thought they could improve on the original. Of course, they were 100% wrong.

Now, if you decide to do the film EXACTLY the way it was originally done, aren't you flat-out admitting the original is already flawless?? The Psycho remake was doomed from frame 1 if only by the style VanSant set out to do.

We often call remakes "unneccessary", but when even the guy remaking the film essentially admits it's not neccessary, why should I watch it?? 20 pounds of stupid in a 10-pound bag.

AceRimRat
07-12-2001, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Paff
Had to go with Psycho.
We often call remakes "unneccessary", but when even the guy remaking the film essentially admits it's not neccessary, why should I watch it?? 20 pounds of stupid in a 10-pound bag.

I prefer "about as sharp as a bag of wet mice," but I agree completely.

Peter Vincent
09-13-2001, 08:36 PM
...Sucked *ss!!! I'm guilty of actually liking the Psycho series (Psycho I-IV) & I thought this would be the remake to end all remakes!...BOY, was I wrong!

I personally didn't see a point in making a movie EXACTLY like its predecessor (except in color & a couple of 'jerk off' scenes). Gimme Anthony Perkins over Vince Vaughn any day.

Special note of interest....
Anthony Perkins' widow also died in one of the hijacked planes. :(

Read it here if U don't believe me: http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/article/1091690

2D4EVER
09-13-2001, 08:50 PM
The House on Haunted Hill remake was pure shit. The original was a LOT better.

A lot of remakes are complete cash cows. Most don't even improve anything over the originals except better picture quality.

Hellbilly
09-13-2001, 10:37 PM
...lots of talents wasted...

i liked the Psycho remake, and i thought The Haunting was kinda fun.

Vlachio
10-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Psycho (1998) what a fucking turkey gobble gobble gobble.

Harry Warden
10-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Godzilla (1998). What a piece of crap!!

Egg_Shen
10-05-2008, 06:29 PM
There have been so many bad remakes since this thread started in 2001. Of them all The Fog remake left a particularly bad impression. A good contrasting point between it and Carpenterís original is the lighthouse location. In the original it takes Stevie Wayne ages to get to it. Itís a long drive and she has to make her way up hundreds of steps. This really establishes how isolated she is. In the remake itís a CGI building on the side of the road. Also, the Psycho remake is actually a good movie.

Jeremy
10-05-2008, 07:37 PM
No matter how bad a remake is, it's still good for getting a special edition released of the original...

Mutilated Prey
10-05-2008, 07:52 PM
I went with Psycho. Didn't even know there was a Carnival of Souls or Piranha remake :confused:

indrid13
10-06-2008, 04:25 AM
Psycho for sure.

fattyjoe37
10-06-2008, 11:29 AM
It's a toss up between Psycho, The Wicker Man, Black Christmas, and The Fog. All equally terrible!

maskull
10-06-2008, 12:39 PM
While I haven't even seen it, the idea of the Psycho remake really annoys me. Shot for shot? What's the point? May as well just watch the original....

But I had to choose other because The Fog was....bad.

evildeadfan123
10-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Had to go with Psycho. Was a pretty lame remake.

Rockmjd
10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
7 year thread bump, Vlachio? :eek: I think Wicker Man is my pick.

othervoice1
10-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Ill go with Godzilla - how in the world they could take that premise, all that cgi and budget and make it so utterly boring I still cant figure it out....

spawningblue
10-06-2008, 10:50 PM
I didn't mind Psycho, as it was pretty much exactly the same as the original, it's not really a bad movie, just pointless in that I might as well just watch the original.

My vote goes to the Fog. I can usually find something to enjoy in a movie, remakes included, but that movie was just terrible! And I'm a Smallville fan as well!

Clayton
10-06-2008, 11:12 PM
The psycho remake is indeed terrible, ah but Gus Van Sant is one of my favorite directors haha. Although I wouldn't necessarily consider Godzilla "horror" aside from the very first film perhaps, the remake is pure nonsense and I remember how thoroughly my dreams of an american godzilla film were trounced when I saw it in the theatre as a child.

Kim Bruun
10-08-2008, 12:35 AM
This thread needs to be remade so Black Christmas can be included as an option.

vampyr789
10-08-2008, 12:36 AM
easy, the remake of Psycho was terrible!!

YottNik
10-08-2008, 01:53 AM
Toss-up between Prom Night and April Fool's Day.

satans-sadists
10-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Older poll, but finally getting to vote. Worst remake I ever saw was The Wicker Man. Many people here love it. I found no entertainment value, not even the so bad it's good variety. The Amityville Horror would be a close second. I never saw The Fog remake.

The 1979 Dracula starring Frank Langella doesn't belong on this list.

DVD-fanatic-9
10-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Do I have to choose? They're all bad. Really really really...bad.

Spit
10-08-2008, 09:05 PM
The new Psycho was crap-olla...an it came out in a time when I still had hope for remakes, so it was quite a let down.

I actually liked The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996); I'm surprised to see how many votes it got...

Gore Lunatic
10-08-2008, 11:52 PM
Another vote for Psycho. Out of the newer remakes, I'd say One Missed Call. Not only was that film bad, it was boring. It made me very mad. Mean mad.

It's me, Billy
10-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Probably either The Fog (2005) or April Fool's Day (2008)

Psycho (1998) was certainly terrible. Why they even attempted to make another Psycho film without Anthony Perkins is a mystery to me. That alone should have made them realize the project was going to be a flop.

Erick H.
10-10-2008, 08:21 AM
While I am still baffled by the PSYCHO remake (Why Gus,why ?),I had to go with "other".My vote goes to THE STEPFORD WIVES remake,a film so bad that it can't even decide what type of bad film it is .Is it a spoof of the original,entertainment industry black comedy,satire,what? The plot doesn't even make sense,the ultimate revelation about the "robots"doesn't match up with the earlier scenes(if you've seen it you might recall what I'm talking about).This film shows every sign of having been repeatedly rewritten as it was being shot and the final result just doesn't hang together.The original film is at least a minor classic,the remake is a classic mess.

Uncle Jay
10-23-2008, 12:08 AM
I went with the TV mini-series of The Shining, which was just absolutely terrible. At least the remake of Psycho had better production value and a solid cast, but please don't misinterpret me, Psycho is awful, too.

-UJ

mclay18
10-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Other.

Zombie's Halloween takes the cake. It takes all the elements from the original and craps all over it. Not even Danielle Harris and Malcolm McDowell could save this turd.

KillerCannabis
10-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Godzilla.

How they could make that horrible film, with a giant iguana and a terrible script, and call it Godzilla is anyone's guess. As a monster flick it's ok; as a Godzilla film it's shit.

MrVess
10-24-2008, 01:13 AM
"Texas Baysaw" is missing.

Cardiac Tom
12-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Went "Other" since this poll was made a few years before the absolute worst remake ever...and that would be Texas Chainsaw...

Criswell
12-25-2008, 11:11 PM
I loath Langella so thats an easy pick.

As for Psycho....... it was not that bad, just pointless. I still dont know why it was even made.

othervoice1
12-26-2008, 06:14 AM
This thread needs to be remade so Black Christmas can be included as an option.
Yes that movie was truly awful