PDA

View Full Version : The Stepfather (R2)

Hellbilly
12-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Who Am I Here?

Gotta cut Jerry Blake (Terry O'Quinn) some slack damnit! Poor fella. All he ever wanted was the perfect family but no such luck with Susan (Shelley Hack), the woman he married a year ago.
She's a bit naive but attractive and has a nice little house - but she also has a bitchy, mentally instable, violent & slutty 16 year old daughter: Stephanie.

Stephanie (Jill Schoelen) is trouble all the way. She's quite the suspicious kind, snooping around in "Scary Jerry's" past, hanging out with boys etc and making Jerry very very angry.

And you don't wanna get Jerry angry ... and you certainly don't want to destroy Jerry's dream of the perfect family.
Once Jerry snaps all hell will break loose ...

Critics were thrilled but The Stepfather was a box-office bomb back in 1987. Sort of became a cult fave once it was released on video and shown on TV.
Director Joseph Ruben (Dreamscape) pulled off a decent and suspenseful little thriller that still holds up to this day I'd say. The action is tight and the tension builds and doesn't stop. There's also some black humor ("what if your Stepfather finds out you got suspended from school? - He's going to kill me!") and the score is marvelous.
And yeah, kudos to Terry O'Quinn for making his complex character quite believable.
He's very good at playing the Über-Father and even better playing the psycho. Gotta love those fits he throws in the cellar!
Great performance by Jill Schoelen aswell ... I totally forgot she had a NUDE shower scene :)

http://www.haikosfilmlexikon.de/anbieter/marketing/2003/stepfather-1.jpg

Little trivia: The Stepfather was first released as SCREAM FOR HELP 2 (!) in Germany. They later changed it to KILL, DADDY, KILL! and now it goes by it's original title.
Marketing released a box set with all three Stepfather films and a single edition of the first one which I bought since I already own part 2 and didn't care about part 3.

Video: Widescreen 1.85:1 (16:9) Great transfer. Very strong colors and (mostly) free of dirt and specks.

Audio: English 2.0 Stereo. Does the job.

Extras: The usual Marketing stuff: English & German theatrical trailer, bio's & info's (in German language). Alternative opening sequences (UK & Germany) and trailers for other releases (Halloween).

This disc is highly recommended but watch out, there'a another German R2 release from CMV which has German language tracks only and a 1.33:1 foolscreen print.

evileye
12-29-2003, 02:53 AM
What site did you order it from?

Hellbilly
12-29-2003, 03:25 AM
Lucky me bought it at a DVD Convention the other day.

Jason25
12-29-2003, 06:22 AM
Nice review Billy!

I have to pick up this DVD, great film and I have been very pleased with the Marketing Film DVD's that I have purchased.

Katatonia
12-29-2003, 07:46 AM
What site did you order it from?

Xploited Cinema has it for under $20. I bought it a few weeks ago and I am quite pleased with the DVD quality.

Here's a previous post where I mentioned a little more about the DVD: http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showpost.php?p=183469&postcount=19