PDA

View Full Version : If i intend to buy a Mario Bava DVD,wich do i choose?

LOVEGIRLS
07-10-2001, 09:49 PM
:( Black Sunday,The whip and the body or Twich of the dead nerve?
Keep in mind that i dont like slow movies,stiff acting and i want to be scared!
THANK YOU

Paff
07-10-2001, 11:35 PM
While I'm no Bava expert, I'd have to say that if you don't like slow movies, Bava just may not be for you at all. His movies are very deliberately paced, and you just might consider them "slow". I don't know.

That said, you'd probably enjoy Twitch of the Death Nerve most, 'cause there's a lot of killings. I found it rather pointless and meandering, you just might like it.

cjg
07-11-2001, 12:57 AM
insted of those three which are all good go with blood and black lace that moves pretty fast and is kind of scary

iguana
07-11-2001, 08:23 AM
You will probably not like Bava, as he is the master of atmosphere. None of his movies moves fast (except Danger: Diabolik - which isnt out on DVD), as modern horrormovies.

Black Sunday and Whip And The Body are masterpieces - but they are slow and very non-juvenile.

I would suggest that you try Blood And Black Lace or Black Sabbath first - as they are also masterpieces which are a bit more "action"-filled.

If you like italian movies and wants something "fast" then grab all the Dario Argento movies that you can find.

Zombie Keeper
07-12-2001, 12:18 AM
I own two Bava films, one I regret buying, Twitch of the Death Nerve.

The other is Blood and Black Lace. Great stuff here, so I say go for it!

Jason25
07-12-2001, 01:24 AM
Look for the VCI box set if you can find it. A great introduction to Bava.

laze
07-12-2001, 05:08 PM
I also found TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE to be Bava's least enjoyable horror film... I'm definitely a fan of BLACK SABBATH, even more than BLACK SUNDAY (though it's a close call).

And, yes, Bava's movies do tend to be "slow," but if you take the time to feel the atmosphere and look at the gorgeous cinemtography and sets, you won't even notice.

Andrew
07-13-2001, 11:34 PM
Blood and Black Lace is great. I was surprised at how fast the killer moved, but in a good way. Great flick, keep in mind it was early '60's.

The only other one I've seen is The Whip and the Body. I liked it ok, nothing great though. Really slow. Maybe Lucas' commentery will provide some insight.

Cujo108
07-14-2001, 02:33 AM
Well, I'm a huge Bava fan, and his best film is Lisa and the Devil in my opinion. It is so wonderfully creepy and atmospheric with a great plot. Most of his other films are good, but this is his best.