PDA

View Full Version : Faces of Death review

RyanPC
01-11-2004, 12:17 AM
FACES OF DEATH **1/2

The box promises horrifying death scenes and that is just what this controversial film delivers. Despite the fact that some of the scenes are fake (some obvious and others not so obvious), it's still tough going and you'll definitely need a strong stomach.

The first half of the film consists mostly of animal deaths, most of which are real. Chickens have their heads cut off and cattle are slaughtered for food. All aspects of human death are explored as well, but it is tastefully done in a documentary-style approach (that is, if something like this could be considered tasteful). After a while, however, you begin to grow "immune" to the sickening sights presented on screen and boredom sets in. The final credits, beautifully done, contradict everything you saw before in the film. It's a good curiosity piece and one of the most infamous entries in the mondo genre, but nothing more.

Grim
01-11-2004, 02:51 AM
Yeah, I watched this over a friends house just to prove that I'm not a bitch. But I really hate this stuff, fake gore is one thing, but this stuff just ain't right. Well, even though 80% of this video is fake, just the principle and idea of it all. I will commend how they did atleast try to be tasteful with the first entry, but the rest are just pure "for the shock" movies. How did you get to see this anyway?

RyanPC
01-11-2004, 02:56 AM
Yeah, I watched this over a friends house just to prove that I'm not a bitch. But I really hate this stuff, fake gore is one thing, but this stuff just ain't right. Well, even though 80% of this video is fake, just the principle and idea of it all. I will commend how they did atleast try to be tasteful with the first entry, but the rest are just pure "for the shock" movies. How did you get to see this anyway?

I rented it from a video store. They had Faces of Death 1, 2, and 3, along with a lot of other, cheaper versions... like The Many Faces of Death (they had a lot of them), Facez of Death, and Death Scenes.

Revoltor
01-11-2004, 09:27 AM
I've seen the first two. Part two has more "real" footage. That doesn't necessarily make it better, just more graphic.

I hate to admit it but I love movies like these. The scene with the monkey getting bashed in the head was a guilty pleasure. If that was real....well, I'm sorry I guess.

Back to Rotten.com for me.

mcchrist
01-11-2004, 11:32 AM
I hate to admit it but I love movies like these. The scene with the monkey getting bashed in the head was a guilty pleasure. If that was real....well, I'm sorry I guess.

It was faked, but I love the audacity of it. It's supposed to be a foreign restaurant, right? yet even the waiters are white. The whole set-up of that scene is crazy :)

Dr_Acula
01-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Have you guys seen the DVD? They have an interview with the director [though his face is blacked out] and also one with the guy who hosted the fourth one...Doctor Louis something. It's pretty funny, even the interviews are obviously staged. But the one with the director talks about how they staged certain things.

The DVD is actually pretty good.

RyanPC
01-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Have you guys seen the DVD? They have an interview with the director [though his face is blacked out] and also one with the guy who hosted the fourth one...Doctor Louis something. It's pretty funny, even the interviews are obviously staged. But the one with the director talks about how they staged certain things.

The DVD is actually pretty good.

Is it in widescreen or fullscreen? Any other extras other than that? How is the picture quality?

Revoltor
01-12-2004, 06:01 AM
I like how the host of the first one eventually commited suicide because his research made him go mad or something. Real cheesy stuff.

Deaddevilman
01-12-2004, 06:25 AM
Killing For Culture has a whole chapter on Faces of Death and it details all of the fake scenes. The rest of the book is good too.

Dr_Acula
01-12-2004, 07:04 AM
I thought the original host Francis B. Gross died under the knife of Dr. Louis whoever, at least that was the story in Faces of Death 4, where they seemed to abandon any attempt to be serious.

This was a rental, so I can't remember if the disc was widescreen [with this film I'm not sure that it matters all that much.] I didn't notice how good the picture quality was, which probably means it was good...it was probably better than the old vhs copies.

I don't think there were any extras other than the "Faces of Death: Fact or Fiction?" mockumentary. There was cool feature in the chapter selection where each chapter played a little soundbite when selected.

betterdan
01-12-2004, 07:20 AM
I've got Faces of Death/ Fact or Fiction, Faces of Death 2/ Worst of faces of Death and Faces of Death 3 on dvd. All of them are fullscreen and have much better pic quality than the vhs's.

mcchrist
01-12-2004, 09:38 AM
I have to recommend Killing for Culture as well, great book.

Actually, I'm turning into a Creation Books whore.

Jeff Dolniak
01-13-2004, 07:30 AM
I have to recommend Killing for Culture as well, great book.

Actually, I'm turning into a Creation Books whore.

KILLING FOR CULTURE is absolutely brilliant! Another great book from creation I enjoy is INSIDE TERADOME. Great book on the history of freaks in film ,both real and fake.

Deaddevilman
01-13-2004, 07:46 AM
If you like Teradome their is a great magazine called Shock and Amazed that is nothing but interviews and stories with an about real sideshow stars. I don't know how often it comes out and it is pricey... but the interviews are great.

http://www.atomicbooks.com/detail.php?cat=23&prodid=3674

Dr_Acula
01-13-2004, 10:27 AM
There's also a compilation book of SHOCKED AND AMAZED. I got a copy back in October.

mcchrist
01-13-2004, 07:04 PM
I just recently picked up Deathtripping, haven't had a chance to dig in yet.

Jeff Dolniak
01-13-2004, 07:52 PM
If you like Teradome their is a great magazine called Shock and Amazed that is nothing but interviews and stories with an about real sideshow stars. I don't know how often it comes out and it is pricey... but the interviews are great.

http://www.atomicbooks.com/detail.php?cat=23&prodid=3674

I am so grabbin that ! Thanks for the info. Also for Creation books fans, get the HAMMER book they have, (kinda of off the FOD subject) its really extensive and has some incredible photos that made KILLING FOR CULTURE, INSIDE TERADOME, and DEATHTRIPPING must haves.

puddytay
01-14-2004, 06:59 AM
never watched one of these and truely I've been a bit afraid to watch one. I remember watching a old animal cruelty documentary on showtime around 10 years ago and it made me sick for a week. They showed a guy throw a cat in scolding hot water and then taking it out ripping on its fur and then beating it over the head with a mallet. All of this took place with the cat still alive. And then the guy thru him in a pile of other cats that he had just did the same thing with. There was also a monkey with his head cut open. There was a scene where people in spain were throwing bulls out of buldings and the bulls would just blead to death. Are these scenes from a faces of death?

Shannafey
01-14-2004, 02:44 PM
I recently picked up a used VHS of it for cheap, so I am going to revisit it soon. Haven't seen it in years!

Nemesis
01-14-2004, 10:27 PM
fuck that is totally sick and perverse, i get sick just reading your description puddy.. how the hell could someone do something like that, i dunno what the hell id do if i saw someone do anything remotely like that

Luna
01-14-2004, 10:35 PM
I can watch Faces of Death and all its imitators with no problems, but real animal cruelty bothers the hell out of me, and I'm not even sure I could look if it was a cat being tortured like that. :cry:

*runs and hugs cat*

Revoltor
01-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Just watch any of the videos PETA and the ASPCA distribute.

Luna
01-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Fuck PETA too.

mcchrist
01-15-2004, 05:07 PM
What, "Meet Your Meat"? Actual DVD title, hehehehehe... In fact: :lol:

Hosted by Alec Baldwin

Fuck PETA.

SaviniFan
01-16-2004, 12:12 AM
fuck that is totally sick and perverse, i get sick just reading your description puddy.. how the hell could someone do something like that, i dunno what the hell id do if i saw someone do anything remotely like that

I saw the same segment as puddy about the cats. It was easily one of the most disturbing things I ever saw too. If I'm not mistaken the cat's were being prepped for a resturaunt in some eastern country. Helluva way to do it though.

Eddie Quist
01-26-2004, 09:43 PM
Has anyone seen Nick Bougas' DEATH SCENES 2? If you want some real shit, this is probably the video to look for, as it includes the footage of the TWILIGHT ZONE helicopter accident, Manson crime scene photos, and the Bud Dwyer suicide (All stuff you can find on the Net, though).