PDA

View Full Version : Crash review

RyanPC
01-11-2004, 12:25 AM
CRASH **1/2

Sex and automobile accidents? No thanks, I'll pass.

Crash is one of David Cronenberg's most controversial films and it's easy to see why. Although the sex could be more graphic than it is, there's still plenty of it throughout the film, which has virtually no plot whatsoever. James Spader plays a director who is involved in a car accident and has an affair with the woman (Holly Hunter) in the other vehicle. He is introduced to Vaughan (Elias Koteas), who shows him the wonderful world of "crashing." :eek2:

Now, I love Cronenberg, but I just couldn't get into this. First of all, the film was very uninvolving. Add to that the fact that there is a new sex scene practically every ten to fifteen minutes (or so it seems), including one between Spader and Koteas (!). It wouldn't be a bad thing at all if only it didn't damage the film itself, which it does in my opinion. I thought it was mildly interesting but overall I don't think I would watch it again. But for people who are into Cronenberg, I recommend they watch it at least once if only for the experience of watching it. By the way, this review was for the uncut NC-17 version, which apparently has more sex than the R version, which I haven't seen.

Hellbilly
01-11-2004, 11:30 AM
I love this film. One of my favorite Cronenberg films ever.

The whole atmosphere of this film is kinda disturbing yet sickening hilarious ... in a very cold but stylish & elegant way, sorta.
People getting their sexual kicks having car crashs?
How original AND twisted is that? :D

Kudos to Cronenberg for making such a "controversial" movie.
His best since Dead Ringers.

onebyone
01-11-2004, 02:50 PM
To me, this is a five star movie if there ever was one. It is without question my favorite Cronenberg movie. Most directors never could have pulled this off, but I think he did a brilliant job here. The movie manages to show these people in a way you can almost understand why they do what they do. It may be an inherently twisted idea, but it isn't presented with value judgments, making the movie more beautiful, erotic, and powerful, at least to me. Also, I thought that the scene between Spader and Koteas was very well done and added to the movie in showing that they were far beyond traditional issues and into something that, in their eyes, was much more powerful. It is all so oddly touching, at least to me, and a lot of that is owed to the multifarious talents of the director.

Still, I am not insulting you or questioning your taste at all. I can see where opinions would vary so to each their own. :cool:

RyanPC
01-11-2004, 05:08 PM
I disagree with both of you, obviously. Maybe I just don't "get it." To me, the film was confusing and uneven, and I was often found asking myself why certain events were taking place. I did, however, kind of like how the movie ended. That last scene certainly goes with the rest of the movie, so it makes for a fitting ending to an already bizarre movie. :D

There were some good points, of course. If there weren't, I would have rated this much less than I did. The acting was pretty good all around and the actors were also good at making out. ;) Cronenberg's direction is great, as always, even if the film as a whole didn't turn out how I would have hoped.

Atmims
01-11-2004, 08:46 PM
Cronenberg has a way of making the most off the wall ideas into a well developed movie. I liked it alright, but would only recommend it to Cronenberg fans. The movie has a strange erotic atmosphere indeed and one sex scene in particular between the lead character and his wife that is really funny/erotic.

Dr_Acula
01-11-2004, 11:40 PM
I thought it was dull. And I usually like Cronenberg.

Part of the problem [and this is probably more against JG Ballard than Cronenberg] is that if you take a look around the internet you'll find real-life sexual fetishes that are a lot weirder and more disturbing than anything in CRASH.

dwatts
01-17-2004, 08:05 AM
Crash has slowly become my favorite Cronenberg film - at least with regards to replay value. If I want a fix of his visions, this is the film I most often return to.

This is a film of a book, and most of the criticisms in the original post are in fact the INTENTION of the source material. It's actually true to the source - even if it shies away from going the full way.

To say it has "virtually no plot whatsoever" is a long way from the mark. It may not have a traditional narrative, but that doesn't translate to having "no plot". This film is an ambience - it's cerebral. The more you watch it, the deeper you go.

Of course the sex is pretty watered down, it does a pretty good job of suggesting far more than is actually on the screen.

Enough said probably, this is monumental cinema, imo. I'm completely at odds with the review.

RyanPC
01-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Crash has slowly become my favorite Cronenberg film - at least with regards to replay value. If I want a fix of his visions, this is the film I most often return to.

This is a film of a book, and most of the criticisms in the original post are in fact the INTENTION of the source material. It's actually true to the source - even if it shies away from going the full way.

To say it has "virtually no plot whatsoever" is a long way from the mark. It may not have a traditional narrative, but that doesn't translate to having "no plot". This film is an ambience - it's cerebral. The more you watch it, the deeper you go.

Of course the sex is pretty watered down, it does a pretty good job of suggesting far more than is actually on the screen.

Enough said probably, this is monumental cinema, imo. I'm completely at odds with the review.

Perhaps another viewing is in store. Maybe I'll like it more.

dwatts
01-17-2004, 08:48 PM
Maybe you'll dislike it more ;)

Nasty Nate
01-19-2004, 05:56 AM
I didn't care for it the first time I saw it either but it grew on me after watching it again. Weird and disturbing.

dwatts
03-03-2007, 04:08 AM
I have no good reason to post here, to resurrect this thread. I'll attempt to make it topical by asking if Ryan ever revisited the movie.

What really brought me here though was that, finally, I sat down tonight to begin to write my first review of this film. It's intimidated me for too long, lured me, while at the same time seeming like a tunnel too dark and long to go down.

After rewatching it, writing 13 pages of notes, and doing a lot of typing, I have a framework within which I can detail my thoughts on the film. Although I could write a standard length review, I want instead to do a scene-by-scene assessment of the work. Obviously that takes time. So I won't be posting anything for a while yet - but I am back to being extremely interested in, yes, Cronenberg's best film.

Ryan?

_pi_
03-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm still waiting for a good DVD of this film! :(

mcchrist
03-03-2007, 11:30 AM
CRASH **1/2

Sex and automobile accidents? No thanks, I'll pass.

Crash is one of David Cronenberg's most controversial films and it's easy to see why. Although the sex could be more graphic than it is, there's still plenty of it throughout the film, which has virtually no plot whatsoever. James Spader plays a director who is involved in a car accident and has an affair with the woman (Holly Hunter) in the other vehicle. He is introduced to Vaughan (Elias Koteas), who shows him the wonderful world of "crashing." :eek2:

Now, I love Cronenberg, but I just couldn't get into this. First of all, the film was very uninvolving. Add to that the fact that there is a new sex scene practically every ten to fifteen minutes (or so it seems), including one between Spader and Koteas (!). It wouldn't be a bad thing at all if only it didn't damage the film itself, which it does in my opinion. I thought it was mildly interesting but overall I don't think I would watch it again. But for people who are into Cronenberg, I recommend they watch it at least once if only for the experience of watching it. By the way, this review was for the uncut NC-17 version, which apparently has more sex than the R version, which I haven't seen.

Since dwatts has revived this...

I HAVE revisited this film lately. Cronenberg and Ballard at their most Cronenbergest and Ballardest.

It is what it is. A "**1/2" is appropriate. I guess it has an additional interest only due to my addiction to Boston Legal and Spader's involvement here. I see Alan Shore...

:lol:

A Ballard film is never going to exceed two-and-a-half-stars no matter what. That being said, I would like to tackle Cocaine Nights one of these days. :p

RyanPC
03-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Haha, this review is out of date. I recently watched the film again and LOVED it. :)

Easily a 4.5/5 for me. I wouldn't even want to try writing another review for Crash because now I feel that this film is far beyond anything anyone could possibly say about it.

I suppose having read the book helped with my re-evaluation. :D

dwatts
03-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Woo hoo! Wow man, that's terrific news. It's great to rethink your thoughts on a film, I do it all the time (I rewatched Universals Phantom of the Opera the other night, and for the first time was utterly enthralled!)

I'm glad you finally felt something from the movie.

--I wouldn't even want to try writing another review for Crash because now I feel that this film is far beyond anything anyone could possibly say about it--

I summed up these feelings by simply saying I was "intimidated" by it. However, it is now time that I try to put my thoughts into words, it's been hanging over me for far too long( the only other film that I feel similarly about is Fulci's "The Beyond".)

The problem is - "where to start". So I dug into the smallest of details. I listed every single scene in the film, and then begun to write about what I saw in each of them. There are 45 distinct scenes in Crash, so I'll be quite busy. It usually takes me between an hour and two hours to write a review, but I doubt a first draft of this will be ready for a week at least. I have written a first draft for the first three scenes though, and I guess I'm content to start chipping away at the film.

Anyway, great to hear, Ryan!

RyanPC
03-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I can't wait to read your review! Let us know when it is complete. :D

dwatts
03-03-2007, 02:48 PM
If you have any ideas about topics for my upcoming web pages, then please do let me know. I will write a standard length review, and then expand it to a scene-by-scene discussion. However, alongside that I have various other topics I want to address seperately. For example:

Accident re-enactments
There are three re-enactments in the film.

Where Do Each of Them End Up?
A wrap up of where each of the charcters find themselves when all is said and done - the film itself does not answer this question - but we have the novel!

Trailers and Theatrical Art
The mis-selling of Crash, the marketing for it really was quite awful, where did it go wrong?

Ten Scenes of Beautiful Carnage
Taking the best instances of auto-erotica from the movie, and tying them together.

The Novel
Comparing the movie with the novel.

And so on - lots of topics that deserve to have their own article, as it were. If you have any ideas about that, I'd be very pleased to hear them. I'd also like to have a unique look and feel for the Crash pages (right now they're a mess), so again, if you have any ideas..............

_pi_
03-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Trailers and Theatrical Art
The mis-selling of Crash, the marketing for it really was quite awful, where did it go wrong?

I can't say I remember the trailers or the ad marketing (although I do love the main artwork image, the one you have as your avatar dwatts), but I think somebody should have paid Virginia Bottomley for promoting this film. I think a LOT of people saw the film because of her "ban-this-sick-film" campaign! :D

dwatts
03-03-2007, 11:19 PM
I actually didn't rate any of the theatrical art, I think it's uniformely awful. The best poster was the one I've used as an avatar. The worst was the British poster, terrible (although I own it). The other campaigns were simply stills from the movie.

I own the original pressbook from the film, and the lobby card set (which I'd been told, many times, didn't exist). The selling of the film stank. In the US trailer, they suprimposed heavy metal music over the "action" to give it a road movie feel. Eek!