PDA

View Full Version : Requiem for a Dream review

RyanPC
01-10-2004, 11:39 PM
REQUIEM FOR A DREAM ****

This is definitely one of those movies where people with weak hearts shouldn't be in attendance. It starts out as a normal, slow paced film but it gradually gets more intense to the point where it becomes nearly unbearable. Requiem is the psychological study of four drug users, one of which was unwittingly forced into her addiction to diet pills. The downward spiral of these four people's lives is extremely powerful and accurate-- almost too accurate. The performances-- especially Ellen Burstyn-- are all top notch and the film is very well made. Jared Leto and Jennifer Connelly are fine in their roles, and who knew Marlon Wayans could do something worthwhile, above the stupidity of Scary Movie? The different camera techniques help to perfect the unsettling and upsetting mood and make the film all the more effective. It's a compelling and fascinating moviegoing experience, and although I want to say this film should be required viewing, I would be careful who I recommend it to.

By the way, this review was for the director's cut of the movie.

Grim
01-12-2004, 02:41 AM
I'm sorry. No matter how much I know how powerful this film was, the thing I remember most abot this movie is Jennifer Connely going ass to ass with that girl. Funny stuff I tell ya.

puddytay
01-14-2004, 06:01 AM
This is in my top 20 favorite movies of all time. Priceless movie and quite shocking. I let someone borrow this from me and they didnt care for it and found it boring. That just shows hes a dumbshit.

Katatonia
01-14-2004, 07:37 AM
I thought it was an exceptional movie, but man...was it ever depressing.

Agent Z
01-14-2004, 08:29 AM
I didn't find REQUIEM FOR A DREAM to be shocking, nor quite as effective down the stretch for that matter. I felt that the film overstayed its welcome and that I already had the message well before the final act.

Having said that, I still think REQUIEM FOR A DREAM is a solid film that deserves at least one viewing. And Ellen Burstyn does give a great performance here.

Katatonia
01-14-2004, 11:09 AM
I didn't find REQUIEM FOR A DREAM to be shocking, nor quite as effective down the stretch for that matter. I felt that the film overstayed its welcome and that I already had the message well before the final act.

Having said that, I still think REQUIEM FOR A DREAM is a solid film that deserves at least one viewing. And Ellen Burstyn does give a great performance here.

I agree, I don't think it's an absolutely brilliant movie, but it was a well shot and well acted film. That new movie coming to theaters called "The Butterfly Effect" looks like it's sort of riding on RFAD's coat tails...at least from the theatrical trailer.

Shannafey
01-14-2004, 01:39 PM
Depressing, but brilliant film! I really loved it!