PDA

View Full Version : James Bernard dies

Ras
07-14-2001, 08:50 AM
From Film Score Monthly:

Goodbye Mr. Bernard

As we reported yesterday, legendary Hammer horror composer James Bernard has passed away. We'll have a proper obituary in FSM; in the meantime, see the thread on our message board, and here's a letter from a moved reader:

I sit here for the first time with tears in my eyes for a fallen composer. The wonderful James Bernard passed away last night. I shall always remember when I met him at a horror convention 7 years ago. Just last week I drove into New York to Footlight Records to pick up the latest Hammer release from GDI, She and Vengence of She. James Bernard had just written the liner notes in May. He was a kind and gentle man who was always accesible to his fans. I remember how in 1994 he was ready to get back to work. His score for the restored 1922 classic Nosferatu is probably the best thing he ever composed. Everytime a new issue of Film Score Monthly would come I would check the B section to see if there was an upcoming assignment. He was only 75 years young. Not to be. I know I will miss him. Of course his music remains and I shall always treasure that.

mutleyhyde
07-14-2001, 04:34 PM
That is terribly sad news. I consider James Bernard himself half of Hammer, as his music gave so much weight and depth to every single film he scored. I have several of his scores on cd, and forever look forward to future releases. I think I know what I'll be listening to today. :(

R.I.P. James Bernard; you have left us a legacy of music that will eternally cement you in our memory.

Yowie
07-15-2001, 02:34 AM
Just saw it now. This sad news gave me a shock. Terrible news.

Mitterhaus
07-15-2001, 06:23 PM
He'll always be remembered as one of the great film composers.

Narshty
06-06-2002, 01:08 AM
A little late, but I would like to add my appreciation for the man's work on Hammer films and especially his work on Nosferatu - an awesome and quite breathtaking piece of composition that finally fulfills the potential horror and romance captured in Murnau's images.

A great composer.