PDA

View Full Version : The Stendhal Syndrome (JP)

Blade
02-13-2004, 03:37 PM
I've been hearing mixed reports about the Japanse laserdisc of The Standhal Syndrome. Some say it's good, others say it's just as bad as the region 1 DVD. I believe it's wellknown that the Dutch DVD is supposed to be superior to the region 1 DVD. I haven't seen the region 1 DVD, but I do own the Dutch DVD.

I always thought the Dutch DVD wasn't anything special, because colours are very dark and bland, and the image isn't sharp, and it's got some noticable compression.

So I have decided to do a direct comparison between the Dutch DVD and the Japanese LD, and to my surprise, the laserdisc is clearly the winner. The LD image is much clearer, becauser colors are relatively bright and accurate. In the opening of the movie, when Asia looks up, the sky is blue, whereas on the DVD, the sky is almost completely grey. Also, on the DVD, alot of detail is missed because the image is just too dark, whereas the LD doesn't have this problem.

I would say the sound on both versions is comparable, there aren't any noteworthy differences.

Next time I want to watch The Standhal Syndrome, I'll put on the laserdisc, that for sure.

Note:
There are reportedly good quality DVD's available form Italy (or France, I forgot), which should be better that both the region 1 and Dutch DVD, and the Japanese laserdisc.

dwatts
02-13-2004, 03:48 PM
I have a horrid release of this film in almost every way. No features, and 4:3. It's from the UK. But guess what - I'd rather watch THAT than the Troma mess. Even this horrid UK release have better colors. :(

wago70
02-13-2004, 04:16 PM
I like the Japan release. I stayed clear and far from the lame Troma offering. I have the Italian DVD from Medusa that was recently release - now THAT is the one worth owning - the picture, color...all immaculate. It looks like a totally different movie.
The odd thing about the Troma release: I saw this in the theater with the Troma logo attached (that in itself is just too bizarre) and the theatrical print was wonderful. Their own DVD of this is horrid - what went wrong???

Dave
02-13-2004, 04:18 PM
This disc sells for pretty cheap on ebay, right? I've been thinking about getting it for a while now.

Blade
02-13-2004, 04:20 PM
I got mine for 6 dollars:)

Paff
02-13-2004, 04:56 PM
I'll do a compare-and-contrast with the Nihon no LD and the Troma DVD later tonight.

From what I've seen though, the two are pretty much the same. Same dub (Asia's dub actress whispers all her dialogue), and looks to be the same transfer. A little too much room on the top, as the boom mike appears at least twice.

Big disadvantage of the Japanese LD is the Japanese subtitles, which can be distracting. Big plus is the lack of Troma stuff.

No matter which version you get, it's an amazing film, desparately in need of a high-quality Region 1 release.

Blade
02-13-2004, 05:59 PM
I'll do a compare-and-contrast with the Nihon no LD and the Troma DVD later tonight.

From what I've seen though, the two are pretty much the same.

If they are, than I conclude the Troma DVD is better than the Dutch one, which contradics most reports I've read.