PDA

View Full Version : Troma's Stendhal Syndrome DVD

Suicide
07-15-2001, 10:43 PM
I'm thinking about buying this. They have it for $15 at Best Buy. I was just curious what some of you think of the movie. I'm not too worried about perfect picture quality, just about the actual movie. Also I'm not too big on rape scenes, and was wondering how graphic they are.

Jason25
07-15-2001, 10:56 PM
Great film, I think it is one of Argento's best. The Troma dvd really sucks if you ask me, i thought the transfer was awful, it is Troma though. I still wonder how Troma acquired the rights.

mutleyhyde
07-15-2001, 11:07 PM
"Qualifications?"
"Rape, murder, arson and rape."
"You said rape twice."
"I like rape."
"Charming!"
:D

Mario77
07-15-2001, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Chris Phelps
I'm thinking about buying this. They have it for $15 at Best Buy. I was just curious what some of you think of the movie. I'm not too worried about perfect picture quality, just about the actual movie. Also I'm not too big on rape scenes, and was wondering how graphic they are.

Jason25 is so very right, the Troma DVD print sucks anus.
But the movie is terrific. Very disturbingly beautiful. Yeah the rape scenes are pretty intense and not pretty, but they are integral to the story for certain.
Highly reccomended!

crank
07-15-2001, 11:52 PM
Don't forget the interview with Dario by Loyd Kaufman. After that experience it's no wonder Dario isn't making films in America anylonger. Lets just hope Troma doesn't somehow secure the rights to NonHoSonno.

crank

boyd1955
07-16-2001, 09:42 AM
Hey Chris
As everything comes down to a matter of taste it is dificult to say... In my, and a lot of peoples opinions, "Stendahl Syndrome" is Argentos worst film ever and is totally unwatchable due to terrible acting and a total lack of style and coherance... Hopefully his new film will be better as many of the people that have followed his work since the 70s have lost all respect for him.

mutleyhyde
07-16-2001, 09:47 AM
Max Von Sydow will save Dario! :D

Jason25
07-16-2001, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by boyd1955
Hey Chris
As everything comes down to a matter of taste it is dificult to say... In my, and a lot of peoples opinions, "Stendahl Syndrome" is Argentos worst film ever and is totally unwatchable due to terrible acting and a total lack of style and coherance... Hopefully his new film will be better as many of the people that have followed his work since the 70s have lost all respect for him.

I can see how one could say this about Phantom, but I do not see how you can say this about Stendhal. I thought it was an amazing film. It definitely is not his worst film ever.

I am also amazed that you can say it has " a total lack of style", care to elaborate on that one? I am not knocking your opinion, I was just wondering if you could explain your stance further.

Paff
07-16-2001, 07:30 PM
Are you the guy we had this argument with before?

I love The Stendhal Syndrome. One of Argento's best movies, and definitely one of his most stylish. (dubbing still sucks though). I'm not much of an art buff, but I can clearly see the way the movie progresses through periods of art. There's a "Renneisance"<sp?>, minimalism, modern art, etc.

I mean, look at the obvious symbolism of that splash of blood on Asia's VERY white blouse. That's the first "stroke of paint" the artist is putting on the new canvas, and the craziness of what happens results in a very mixed up painting. For once, the incoherence of an Argento script makes perfect sense at the end. All of the incoherent things result in an incoherent person.

This movie will be studied and studied over time. A modern classic.

boyd1955
07-16-2001, 09:06 PM
Yes Paff... I am the guy who you had the arguement with before... But I still have not changed my mind about SS... Even "Phantom" was better in my opinion, although that just looked like a TV Movie... It at least had more style... I'm sorry about this... I've admired and collected Argentos work for the past 30 years ( 45 if your interested ) and I've watched him loose it completely in the last decade... Haven't seen the new one yet... Will probably wait and see it at the Prince Charles in August... Always best to see his films on the big screen... And I've seen all of them... I will be really pleased if he's managed a comeback, but from all I've heard so far I'm not holding my breath... Everyone has their own opinion... You like "Stendhl Syndrome"... Fine... Just admit your in a very small minority

Paff
07-16-2001, 09:37 PM
Hey, I'm ok with that. Even if I'm the only person on the planet that likes The Stendhal Syndrome, it's fine by me. That movie made me think, has excellent replay value, and demands analysis of almost every frame. In other words, it's like all of Dario's best films to me. So I don't care who likes it and who hates it. *I* love it, and that's all that matters in the end.

Funny thing is, I DON'T think I'm in a very small minority. I know it was panned on initial release (almost ALL of Dario's films were as well, I'm sure you know that), but have built up a following over time. Stendhal fans are beginning to come out of the woodwork to praise this film now. Read the liner notes to the recent Cat O Nine Tails release and you'll see the phrase "the woefully underrated Stendhal Syndrome". I also wonder what Maitland McDonagh, who took overanalysis of film to an entirely new level in her Argento book, thinks of this movie.

Obviously we agree to disagree on the quality of The Stendhal Syndrome, but I still think that Dario Argento puts everything he has into a movie, even Phantom of the Opera. Of course, that doesn't always make for a GOOD movie (again, Phantom of the Opera.....bleccch), but it's why I admire his work.

I also wonder if Stendhal might get more respect if it wasn't on the damn Troma label. Whatever...time will tell...

mutleyhyde
07-16-2001, 09:49 PM
Paff, do you get special consideration for being a minority? I am so laughing here. ;)

I've never seen Stendahl, probably because I refuse to ever watch anymore Troma dvds, but I've seen much more positive statements at least in this forum about Stendahl than bad. Yes, I lead a sheltered life and don't get out to other forums much, so maybe my view is a little skewed, but I hardly think that Paff is in the minority on this, at least here anyway. But then, what does that matter? Both of your opinions carry equal weight. Just because one is in the majority does not make their opinion "right", just popular. In the end, it all amount's to personal preferance, and arguing over personal preferance is just like banging your head against a brick wall.

Y'all play nice now!:D

(watch me get flamed for this :rolleyes: )

Paff
07-16-2001, 10:46 PM
Minority Status: Liked The Stendhal Syndrome

can I put that on my next job application?

Seriously, I think the "minority" comment only implied that it's not a universally well-liked film, NOT that somehow the amount of people that enjoy a film has any bearing on it's worth.

And I've heard several long-time Argento fans slam The Stendhal Syndrome, so it's no surprise to hear the film bad mouthed even here. Basically, both our opinions are equally valid, and equally worthless since appreciating a film is so subjective. I just have a feeling that our "minority" group will become larger and larger over time. Damn the Man. We shall overcome. Power to the People. All we are saying is give Stendhal a chance. Um, any other catch phrases I missed?

And I won't tell anyone if you quietly break your non-Troma principles just this once. Shhhh. Trust me, it's worth it, if only this one time....

Werner Von Wallenrod
07-16-2001, 11:35 PM
If you've never watched a Troma DVD, that means you're missing out on the Cannibal! the Musical special edition... Tell me - what meaning does your life hold, then? ;)
Anyway, transfer aside, Stendhal's good... It's definitely not his best, or even close... It's a big step down from his earlier films... But Argento at his worst is still better than most horror directors at their best. If you enjoy Argento's films, I can't see disliking Stendhal... you just probably like it as much.

Mario77
07-16-2001, 11:57 PM
I must concur with Werner...
I don't care how much you think Troma sucks balls (and boy do they ever!) , if you don't own Canibal! The Musical on DVD, then, sadly, you're missing perhaps the best all-singing, all-dancing, all-slice-and-dicing extravaganza of all time! What the trailer says is true, "In the tradition of Friday the 13th Part II and Oklahoma comes... Canibal! The Musical ". The only two Troma DVDs I own are Stenhal and Canibal, and I love them both, despite them being from... a-hem (cough, cough)... from Troma.

mutleyhyde
07-17-2001, 12:01 AM
Ahh, but I DO have the Canibal! dvd Werner! It is great indeed. As a matter of fact, I have the whole initial run of Troma dvds (22 titles? from the 25 cent sale) and that is a big reason why I don't buy them anymore ;) ! They are just not done well; bad transfers, awful menu navigation, OAR out the fricken window, etc.. Add to that the HUGE FUCKIN HEADACHE I had to go through to get my Roan dvds since March (everthing finally got resolved about a month ago, thank you very much). I'll eventually get Stendahl probably, but I'm just not in a rush.

The Chaostar
07-17-2001, 07:12 AM
Stendhal is a masterpiece, a real work of art.
One of his best films I believe.

Buy the french or dutch dvd.

domper9
07-19-2001, 07:54 PM
The dutch DFW disc arrived today.

Pretty happy with it; i haven't seen enough DVD's yet to make an objective judgement :( but the sound sure is effective when those paintings come to life!

Too bad it doesn't have an italian soundtrack though. I hate it when I can't hear the original actor voices.

The french disc doesn't have it either but Troma does, so I'm still not convinced Troma's such a bad buy.
There's been some debate about fake letterboxing on the Troma disc. There's agreement that the DFW is framed correctly so I say let's try an experiment: here's a frame from the DFW from the beginning of the movie; how about somebody out there post the same image from the Troma disc and we can settle at least that?

d9

The Chaostar
07-19-2001, 11:02 PM
There is NO italian soundtrack in TROMA's Stendhal Syndrome!

However, don't be so sure that you'll hear the actors voices in the italian version of Stendhal. The italians work in such a mysterious way...

domper9
07-19-2001, 11:33 PM
Not again! Everything I find on websites about this disc, is wrong! First the director's commentary, now this... I can't say I'm thrilled about the quality of many online stores out there.

resting in peace now,

d9

Suicide
07-19-2001, 11:57 PM
I decided to buy the Troma one. It was only $15. I'm watching it right now. They did a bang up job of picking a very unlikable rapist. I know there aren't any likable rapist but still. I hate this guy. I know this has been talked about a lot, but I gotta get my thoughts in. How could Argento direct his daughter in all these rape scenes and all these violent situations? I wouldn't feel right directing even an acquiantence of mine in that type of scene. It would be really scary. The thought of your daughter being raped alone is sinister enough, but actually filming it acted out is just disturbing beyond belief. Well I guess that's jsut me though.
Anyway about the movie itself, I think it's pretty good. I mean I'm no Argento expert, I've only seen a few of his movies, So it might be total crap compared to his others, but it's pretty good. I think she should've said, "You have the right to remain dead!", instead of "the right to shut up". That would have been good. But what do I know.

McBride_01
07-21-2001, 12:26 AM
I enjoyed Stendhal Syndrome. It's definately got to be the best out of his later films. It was alot better than Phantom of the Opera, which just didn't do much for me. Trauma was ok but it didn't hold a torch to this one. It was made in America, if I remember correctly, and it shows.

Stendhal Syndrome has got to be, in my opinion, the most stylish film he did in the 90's. It was a welcome departure from the straight forward giallo films that he is so well known for. It's more of a psychological horror film, about the effects a traumatic experience can have on the human mind. One thing I didn't like in the film were the cgi effects. They just don't belong there if you ask me. Overall though, this was a pretty good effort from Argento. It's a bit hard to follow at first, but it all comes together in the end.

I have the Troma dvd of Stendhal Syndrome, and I didn't think it was really as horrible as some people seem to believe. I'll grant you... It could have been better, but it also could have been alot worse. I'm just glad to have this film on disc.

Suicide
07-21-2001, 06:04 AM
I think the CGI effects were kinda out of place too. Heres why. It wasn't so much that they were there, it's just they weren't done too well, I don't think. I mean I know they probably didn't have a Fight Club style budget, but it's true. I figure if you can't do it almost perfect, screw it, don't do it. I'm only saying thisbecause if they had billions of dollars to do it, the paintings becoming alive and coming out at Asia, and her entering the paintings, could've looked so bad ass. It's like death metal Iron Maiden covers. Sometimes a Death metal band will cover Iron Maiden and growl the vocals instead of singing them. It sounds so stupid, but the smart bands will cover an instrumental. Am I the only one who got that little metaphor? It made sense when I wrote it, not so much now. Oh well.

Next time you're bored at work print out a small sign that reads
"Employees must wash genitals." up on the wall in the bathroom next to the sinks. I tried it, it got torn down in less than an hour. The whole worlds against me, I swear to god.

The Chaostar
07-21-2001, 03:54 PM
Being a drummer in a metal band (called Septic Flesh if anyone cares), I sure got that metaphor and I laughed my ass off!

Suicide
07-21-2001, 05:53 PM
Oh yeah I've heard of Septic Flesh. There's two similar sounding names, Septic Flesh and Septic Death. I always get those two mixed up. I've never heard either, so I went to the Audiogalaxy and got the song Ice Castle, figure I'd check it out. Do you still play with them? Because I know one of them doesn''t exist anymore.

The Chaostar
07-21-2001, 06:04 PM
Liked it? Old song. Yeah, they do still exist. Septic Deah was typical noisy death metal. Septic Flesh have influences from death metal to dead can dance and fields of the nephilim - I think that makes them a bit different. Of course we are getting a bit old now and all have serious steady jobs (hey, I am a film critic for hell's sake!) so the future is uknown - unless we sign with Sony and arrange a tour with Britney Spears.

mutleyhyde
07-21-2001, 09:02 PM
mmmm, Britney...

Suicide
07-21-2001, 09:24 PM
Yeah it was pretty good, I really liked the music, but the vocals were just a little too deep. I like the more higher screaming type vocals, like In Flames or Children of Bodom more. But the music was cool. I like that sound, and the fancy little drum fills at the end were sweet. What's your favorite of the songs?
Yeah the Britney tour sounds like it could be fun. I don't see it happening though. Pop and Metal, terrible mixture. Though I did once take a Nile song and splice it with a Britney Spears chorus in the middle. It was hilarious. I still have it actually on my computer.

Black_Mandarin
07-22-2001, 11:10 PM
Without a doubt one of the worst DVDs I own. Horrible, unforgivable transfer, and the extras, interviews and such look like they were done by a retarded high school Audio/Visual Club. Its such an insulting job, I'd say dont buy it unless you find it for well under $10 (which it and other troma titles were on sale for at one time, just about everywhere)

Suicide
07-23-2001, 05:25 AM
Well I bought it but it was only $15. I don't really mind if it's not perfect, not like it cost a bunch. I saw it and it wasn't too bad on my eyes. I'm new to this DVD stuff, so I'm not against VHS yet, nor do I think I will be really. I think some of the extras were pretty good. Didn't care much for the Lloyd Kaufman interview, it seemed, well he was making fun of Argento at points. The man is Italian, he probably is around and speaks mostly Italian. I'd like to give Kaufman an All Italian interview and let him try to use a launguage he's not accustomed to with perfection. Smart ass. I mean it was decent with the questions and the answers but still.
The Julie Strain "rap" would have been good to whack it to, if not for the nasty Troma footage here and there. She looks quite good for an older broad. I'd bang her if she paid me.:p

mcchrist
07-25-2001, 01:39 AM
Septic Flesh rocks, Esoptron is a killer album. I haven't been able to get into them or any doomier metal lately. The Swedish scene has become boring, and the Norwegian Black Metal scene is dying out. The Polish scene is very scathing, chilling, and evil when you listen to stuff like Graveland and Veles (I love that Transylvanian Hunger type stuff)... but I'm tiring of that too. Profanum did a real bang-up job on their final opus. The norwegian scene is changing. While I still prefer De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Mayhem's A Grand Declaration of War raised an eyebrow over here in Appalachian Wife-Beating-War-Metal country... Things are a changing. Korova changed their name to Korovakill, that is great the new album is insane. Fleurety still pulling of the weird crap... And Tormentor is back and weird as hell!!! But why is my car filled with so many glam tapes? TWISTED SISTER RULES!!!! As soon as I finish my movie project here in two weeks, the TS bones are getting tatooed on my arm... FEH!

BTW: The Troma Stendhal disc is shiite.:D

The only Troma disc I still have is Bloodsucking Freaks... Cannibal! is bullocks.

The Chaostar
07-26-2001, 02:05 PM
Yeah, Transylvanian Hunger kicks serious ass.
And Esoptron is my favorite of all Septic Flesh cd's. I hate that name though. Still sounds naive to me - but that has started 11 years ago so...

I'd love to see an epic grandiose film with huge landscape battles with the last song from Transylvanian Hunger as the perfect soundtrack........