PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Genre Laserdisc Jackets...

gunner
07-16-2001, 06:13 PM
If there is one thing LD's have over DVD's it's got to be thier presentation.LD's had the best artwork,and some had huge gatefold jackets with wonderful essays,exclusive photos etc. It's a real shame this format had to fade.Now to all of you silver platter buffs out there,You know you've sat in your chair admiring some of your prize possession disc jackets.What would you say the top 5 genre film jackets are? I would say (in no particular order)...

1)"Nightmare On Elm Street" Elite Special Edition (It was brilliant to design the jacket in the Freddy's sweater pattern.Way nicer appearance than anything new line has done)
2)"Texas Chainsaw Massacre" Elite Special Edition (This jacket was drool material for us collector's that waited 2 years for the release)
3)"The Howling" Image Special Edition (great jacket plain and simple)
4) "Cannibal Ferox" Grindhouse Special Edition (When this title received domestic special edition treatment I then knew I had seen it all)
5)"Dawn Of The Dead" Elite CAV Special Edition (I hate to brag elite up so much but they really knew (and I stress Knew) how to please fans taste in both supplements and presentations)

So,Many of you probably disagree with my list,so whats your votes?

Paff
07-16-2001, 07:00 PM
Ooooh. Great topic. Difficult to narrow to 5 though. I don't have any of the Fulci EC movies, but from what I've seen, they're among the best.

But among the best 5 horror titles I own:

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre - see above post

2. The Thing (From Another World) - Triple gatefold sleeve loaded with photos on a loaded special edition

3. Bram Stoker's Dracula (SE) - to quote Keanu Reeves, "whoa"

4. From Dusk till Dawn (SE) - Tarantino mentions on the commentary he wanted his vampire character to dominate the gatefold. He got his wish.

5. Re-Animator - more lovely photos and a full guide to the different versions.

tons o' honorable mentions:
The Bride with White Hair
Fall of the House of Usher/Pit and the Pendulum
The Thing (82) Signature Edition
Halloween (Criterion)
Escape From New York (SE)
Phantasm (both SE and regular version)
Night of the Living Dead (Elite SE)

and some non-genre greats:
The Abyss (SE)
Pulp Fiction
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (came in a 200 page coffee table book)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (gatefold for a single disc. Love it!)
Rock and Roll High School

LD art is classic, something DVD will never approach. Hell, the regular version of Phantasm looks worse than a VHS copy, but the cover art is gorgeous, so I keep it only for the cover. I watch the special edition though...

gunner
07-17-2001, 05:53 PM
Great list Paff! The EC fulci laserdisc jackets are pretty cool.The only EC LD I've held onto is House on the Edge of the Park,not only because I love the jacket but mainly because it was a numbered limited edition (of 500). I'll have to locate a copy of Cuckoo's Nest, I never saw the 200 page book version,only the regular S.E.

Paff
07-17-2001, 07:23 PM
I lied, it's 110 pages.

But it's still beautiful. It's a full size hardcover glossy coffee table book, with photos, script excerpts, articles, interviews, the whole nine yards. The book alone is something you'd expect to drop $30-40 on at a good bookstore. But inside the front and back covers are sleeves containing the SE Laserdiscs.

Here's a guy on E-bay selling some factory sealed copies, might be worth a bid:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1446407155