PDA

View Full Version : Blood Feast and H.G. Lewis Movies

DVD Connoisseur
12-27-2000, 01:36 PM
Well, after receiving H.G. Lewis recommendations in this forum, I sat down and watched Blood Feast early yesterday evening. The verdict? An entertaining 60+ minutes of bad acting, creepy music (which reminded me of the Nekromantic soundtrack!) and over-the-top gore effects. A fine ensemble of 60s femmes fatales also made the film easy on the eyes. Trouble is, where do I go from here? Two Thousand Maniacs seems to be the next stop but then what? Are Lewis's movies all of the same "quality" or are there pitfalls to be avoided? (I know that some would say that H.G. Lewis in his entirety is best avoided but I think he fills a corner in my collection!)

ArrowBeach
12-27-2000, 01:45 PM
see GRUESOME TWOSOME, COLOR BLOODY RED, GORE GORE GIRLS, WIZARD OF GORE

avoid PSYCHIC,SOMETHING WEIRD

Mark Relford
12-27-2000, 03:48 PM
Can't forget She-Devils on Wheels! It's not as gory, but it's still campy fun. Avoid Something Weird and Taste of Blood like the plague! Gruesome Twosome is decent, but not up there with his gore masterpieces. Wizard of Gore (Very surreal with an excellent performance by Sager as the bloodthirsty wizard.) and Gore Gore Girls (Lewis' blood soaked swang song.) are highly recommended.
Make sure you get Two Thousand Maniacs and Color Me Blood Red first! http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

gunner
12-27-2000, 04:34 PM
I have seen alot of H.G. Lewis's films in the past and own the infamous blood trilogy on dvd as well as the wizard of gore which by far is my fave.I just cannot watch that movie without having the quote "I AM MONTAG,MASTER OF ILLUSION" stuck in my head.Those funky pop art sets and very dated dialog.Schlock and me make great company.

Mark Relford
12-28-2000, 01:43 AM
DVD Connoisseur, have you listened to the BF commentary yet? It's absolutely priceless! It's cool that you're getting into The Godfather of Gore. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif Keep an eye out for the upcoming DVD double feature of The Defilers/Scum of the Earth. It looks promising!

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"