PDA

View Full Version : Euro Horror DVD of the Month (July 01) - Deep Red

Jason25
07-18-2001, 06:55 AM
What can you say about this film? Well, I'll start out by saying that if you have not yet seen this film, go buy the Anchor Bay dvd right now! The movie is fantastic and the dvd is simply amazing.

I chose Deep Red as the latest installment, the 9th in the series, because I have been on an Argento kick lately.

The story is this. A German psychic is murdered. A pianist sees the murder and runs to offer assistance, but is too late. He's sees the back side of the murderer as that person walks away, for only a few seconds. We then watch as the story unfolds, a very captivating story that I very much enjoyed.

This film really has a lot going for it. The plot is solid, good acting, a nice score (a usual with Argento films), a nice amount of gore, and a wonderful ending. I definitely advise everyone to see it. I know quite a few of you on the forum have seen it, and I'd love to hear your comments.

This dvd simply rocks. Anchor Bay has given us a stunning transfer. I was amazed at what I saw when I popped this disc in my dvd player. The picture was very sharp, wonderful colors, and the night scenes look great, very crisp.
The sound was solid, very balanced. Very clear and the score, which I love, sounded very good.

I admit I am a big Argento fan. I think the guy is very talented. Deep Red would be an excellent introduction to someone who has not yet seen an Argento film. Deep Red is my favorite Argento film, and that is saying something.

As always, I'd love to hear everyone's opinion.

Suicide
07-18-2001, 07:30 AM
I own it but haven't finished it. I get to Chapter 22 and it freezes and stops playing. I took it to a friends house and put it on Chapter 22 and it played. I would have just watched it at this house, but he's not much of a horror fan, and Eurohorror is a little harder to get into if you aren't used it.
I agree that it did look great though. I love that guy in the beginning where the psychic guesses what's in his pocket. I laughed my ass off. And I really liked the beginning part that Pieces ripped off.

AceRimRat
07-18-2001, 09:29 AM
I'm too tired to comment at too much length, but this became one of my favorite Argento films at first viewing - I thought it had a plot that held up (relatively speaking), good acting and all the things that make Argento great (gore, cinematography, atmosphere, music).

And the DVD is just top-notch. Phenomena will always be my favorite, for a variety of sentimental reasons, but Deep Red I think is Argento's best that I've seen to date (I have not seen Suspiria uncut or widescreen, only half of it on HBO; nor have I seen Opera).

Though I spotted the key clue I still was kept in suspense by the mere atmosphere of the film - and atmosphere in many ways is what separates a truly SCARY horror film from a lesser film. (Not that there's anything wrong with horror that doesn't scare, but there's something special about horror that does.)

My $.03.

Mario77
07-18-2001, 11:11 AM
I first fell in love with this movie (and all of Argento's early films) as a young kid in the early 80's on a Pan-and-Scan VHS titled Deep Red Hatchet Murders , as I'm sure many others did. I think it's a true testament to a film's power when it can still have such a deep resonance on a viewer when the image is cut in half and the film itself is butchered beyond recognition for crappy American video. Though I later had a lousy Autralian TV copy of the uncut Italian version (albeit widescreen), it was still a whole new experience when it arrived on DVD. I was pathetically outside waiting for the store to open the day it came out (and it was worth it).
What a fucking amazing, brilliant movie! I just love it and AB did such a fantastic job on the restoration. Cheers! If anyone doesn't have this film on DVD YOU MUST GO GET IT! :D
Though I admire all of his movies (okay, maybe I don't admire "Phantom of the Opera":rolleyes: ) I must say that Deep Red and Suspiria may perhaps best exhibit what is so brilliant about Argento's body of work. Both films totally immerse the viewer in sea of sight and sound and fury; nothing else seems to exist when you're in Argento's world. They are complete, visceral dimensions of their own -- if you're willing to go there with them.
Okay, sorry for ranting and raving. That's my personal journey with Deep Red. I've had my catharsis here and I feel good. Thanks for letting me share. ;)

Paff
07-18-2001, 06:34 PM
I actually had the opposite reaction. I saw the horrible Deep Red Hatchet Murders video and couldn't figure out why the movie was a classic. (ok, the mechanical puppet thing freaked me out though)

But after seeing the DVD, it was literally like seeing the movie for the first time. I can write off that piss poor VHS viewing. Why the difference?
Well, the thing that struck me the most on DVD is the COLOR. I mean, look at the curtains in the parapsychology conference. Could they be any more red? The scene in front of that statue with Marc and Carlo finally made sense too. I swear, on the VHS they didn't even pan-and-scan it, they just cut off the sides. So all you see is the statue and you can HEAR two guys talking, but they're nowhere on screen!
Finally, with all the cut footage restored, everything made a lot more sense. On first viewing, I never fully understood why Marc suddenly spent so much time at the old house. That may not be due to the cut scenes, but his motivation became a lot more clear. He obviously wanted to be the person to solve the murder, and was clearly afraid of Gianna.

I could go on forever here, it's such a great movie. Why make this the DVD of the month 17 days in?? I could talk about this movie for 31 days and still not explore every nuance of it. Classic.

Mario77
07-18-2001, 09:39 PM
Well sure... OBVIOUSLY I wasn't praising the crappy VHS version of the film. The operative phrase I used was "when I was a kid in the early 80's" (remember -- the days when we didn't have uncut widescreen videos or special editions?). Certainly a time before most anyone was calling "Deep Red" a classic. My point being that even a horribly truncated version of the film held value to a kid who didn't know any better (again, nobody was calling it a classic back then, except maybe a small cult of fans). We all know the evils of Pan-and-Scan. I do think there are many people who remember being fond of the film 18 some odd years ago when that terrible VHS was all we had. When you've got no reference point of what a film should be, you're happy to have what you've got. But, obviously there is no comparison between that old tape and the current DVD edition of the real movie. They are two totally different films and nobody should ever watch that rotten old VHS now that we have the glorious DVD.

DVD Connoisseur
07-18-2001, 10:19 PM
Wow, there's not a lot left to say!

When I first saw the film around 12 years ago, I was gripped from the start. Clearly, the movie was more than just a horror film, it was a fascinating psychological thriller with unbelievable visuals and a hypnotic score.

Argento's film are escapism - although he deals with brutal killings, the world in which they take place is Argento's own. The beauty of the cinematography is awesome and I love re-visiting this film to see the surroundings. Every frame is a delight.

AB have released the definitive version of this classic. Although Opera is my favourite film by Argento, Deep Red may be his best film. It's certainly one of his finest moments.

Andrew
07-18-2001, 10:40 PM
I bought the AB VHS about 6 months ago (I think) and thought it was great. I'm getting the 3 new Argento 2-disc LEs so I'll have it on DVD.

Oh yeah, Mario, I read your review for Cat O' Nine Tales (I think, maybe Four Flies) on IMDb. Just wanted to letcha know...

NickyDoyle
07-21-2001, 04:24 AM
Definitly one of Argento's better works. It's a beautiful movie to view (the print really make's it look like this 26 year old film was made yesterday), and the flick itself is stylish and fun. The only thing I didn't care too much for on this disk was the fact that in some scenes, the movie goes into Italian with English subs. That aspect sucks a little bit, but the missing English tracks weren't AB's fault at all.

Besides, the movie and the AV quality are just too damn great to carp.

Chucky P
07-25-2001, 08:26 AM
This is a very cool movie which got me into Argento and into Italian filmaking. It's fun to look at what Carpenter took from this movie (sowing needle) and what Argento took from Hitchcock (water going down the eye of the drain). I always wanted to show this movie to my friends, especially the car running over the guy's head scene.
There some plot holes in the film (every movie has them) like if you were a person with a murderous past would you go a psychic convention? If everybody locked their doors less people would get killed (check out the police blockade at the murder scene) and don't get me started on the person who leaves to check a noise in a dark hallway alone. :) Even with its flaws I still think it's a awsome flick that anyone who wants to get into Argento should see. A good companion film to Deep Red is Blowup with David Hemmings playing a photographer which has similarities to Deep Red like people leaving their doors unlocked. :D

mutleyhyde
07-25-2001, 08:43 AM
Yep, Blowup would certainly be nice to have. I don't think I've chimed in here yet on Deep Red. Yes, great movie. I really like the camera work, the various angles and how Argento uses various vertical objects to split the scenes, such as the columns in the library and walls and windows in other scenes, often obscuring the relevant action, as if he's literally, constantly stabbing the film itself. And yes, the AB disc looks beautiful. 'Nuff said.

napalm68
07-26-2001, 09:56 AM
Great camera work. When I saw Deep Red, and then Tenebrae, I thought that Deep Red was made after Tenebrae as it seemed more polished. Great music, too. I'd love to get a tshirt made of that kids picture too. Does anyone know of any books that have a good reprint of that pic (not just a screen capture)?

And frankly, Deep Red is a great plot, and for the life of me, I can't pick any holes in it. Sorry to disagree, Chucky P:
- If you were a murderer, would you be worried about being caught if you went to a psychics convention? I wouldn't. Who really believes in psychics?
- The author who was killed lived in the country. In most country areas, people STILL leave their doors open. Back in the 70s, probably near everyone did... I remember my grandfather used to leave the key in the outside of the door...

DeepDownTraumaHound
07-26-2001, 10:05 PM
I'm glad to see that EuroHorror DVD of the month is back! Always love this section.
Save the rotten tomatos( in other words respect anothers opinion, please), but I think this is my least favorite Argento film. I was just not interested in the story. I love the shots and the aesthetics, but the story is not gripping FOR ME. I found it hard to sit through, and the ending very unpleasing.
Sorry DEEP RED lovers, I thought I'd throw some salt in the pepper. :D

mutleyhyde
07-27-2001, 06:04 AM
DDT, heads up!
****SPLAT!!!****

:D :D :D :D