PDA

View Full Version : AB Prom Night DVD

TobalRox
02-03-2001, 05:25 PM
I read somewhere that it was OOP, and i was wondering if this is because they plan to release a Special Edition later on. The reason I ask is because my local Media Play has a TON of copies left for $8.99 and I was wondering if I should pick it up, if anyone else wants me to get a copy for them, or if I should just wait. Any thoughts would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TobalRox
02-03-2001, 05:31 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention, I understand that the transfer is pretty crappy, but it's better than keeping a worn out VHS. Just thought I'd get that clear, so don't bother with any posts of "it's a shitty transfer, don't bother."

DopeChamberX
02-03-2001, 07:00 PM
Hey, I'd like a copy. I haven't been able to find any left around here, and I just don't feel like ordering offline (call me lazy). Also, I was wondering how alike it is, to their "collector's editon" vhs anchor bay released (which I have). Is the audio on the dvd the same, where the first 45 minutes sound like it was recorded in an empty wherehouse?

rhett
02-03-2001, 07:09 PM
I've been hesitant on getting Prom Night even though I love it. I've rented it before and the transfer just sucks, but you already know that :) But as far as AB releasing a new version, I've emailed Anchor Bay a few times, and after about the third time, they emailed me on the possibility of a new Prom Night, here is what they said:

"We don't currently have plans to reissue PROM NIGHT, though we may do so in
the future."

So it doesn't like we are going to see a new version any time soon, although I really hope they do release a new version...

TobalRox
02-03-2001, 09:05 PM
I have no idea what the audio is like, though. I'll stop by in the next couple of days and pick up a few copies. Anyone else want any?

ArrowBeach
02-04-2001, 01:36 AM
Any reason why so many people like this film? I remember it was always voted WORST slasher by Fangoria maagzine back in the early 80's? Even Jamie Lee Curtis said it was the worst film she ever did. Is the disco soundtrack the reason?

I actually have the LP! LOL! Actually the old NewLine LD is a better transfer, sharper colors! In fact I would just buy it now, 9.99 isnt a bad price, and whoever releases it later, might not be this cheapand could be the same crappytranfer.

I thought the film was very padded, nothing happens for 65 minutes, and well I found it rather humorous that

SPOLIER ALERT

the killer was the DJ, and that he cleaverly played a 15 minute long disco versions of the song so he goes and kills and comes back to change the record, without anyone noticing he is missing! LOL!!!

Argento Fan 2003
02-04-2001, 06:02 AM
Exactly who cares what Fangoria says? If you've ever read a review you'll notice you don't totally agree with the person who wrote it. Never base your judgement on what anyone else says. If I did I might have liked any of the Evil Dead films. :o

rhett
02-04-2001, 07:05 AM
Prom Night was one of the first slashers I'd ever seen, so I guess it has nostalgic value for me. It had some decent makeup work in the latter part of it, and I am a sucker for Jamie Lee Curtis movies. Add Leslie Nielson to that, and you have got an A list cast (at least as far as horror films are concerned). I also thought the plot was above average as far as slashers go. Although Jamie Lee Curtis said it was the worst film she had done, lets think of the movies she did. To horror fans, The Fog, Halloween 1 & 2 and Terror Train are all regarded as classics, so saying Prom Night is her worst film means little.

Dave
02-04-2001, 07:27 AM
It's OOP.

AB has nothing planned for it right now in terms of a re-release or special edition.

Elite release it onto LD too I believe. I imagine AB's DVD is just a port from the LD. That doesn't necessarily mean the same quality, as we all know. I haven't seen the Elite LD so I can't judge.

ArrowBeach
02-04-2001, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Dave:
It's OOP.

Elite release it onto LD too I believe.

WOW so this film was released 4 times on LD!!! First MCA discovision (remember those?) then Virgin LD/Image, then NewLine via Image than Elite! Wish TERROR TRAIN gotten this much releases!

Mark Relford
02-04-2001, 08:07 AM
rhett, have you seen Blue Steel? (with Jamie Lee Curtis.)
Prom Night's fairly decent, but I think Terror Train's better.

rhett
02-04-2001, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Mark Relford:
rhett, have you seen Blue Steel? (with Jamie Lee Curtis.)
Prom Night's fairly decent, but I think Terror Train's better.

Yes! I remember seeing this at the theatres with my parents when I was 8. That was one of the first Curtis movies I saw, A Fish Called Wanda being the first. I had completely forgot about this movie until you mentioned it. Jamie Lee plays the ultimate damsle in distress, especially in this one. I need to go out and get it again though, cause it's been about 5 or so years since I've last seen it. Did you see Mother's Boys? Bleh, I admire Jamie Lee Curtis for trying to a.) return to horror and b.) go against type, but she deserved better than this mess. It was alright, but definitely one of Curtis' weaker efforts...

I agree with you 100% on Terror Train Mark...it is much more original, and the mask was awesome. I still think a commentary by David Copperfield on how he did the magic tricks would be an awesome supplement if this ever saw a DVD release. The petition for the Terror Train DVD has about 50 signatures last time I checked. I am going to try and get about 200 before I send it away, for all those who haven't signed it yet, please do so. The link is:
http://www.123petitions.com/cgi-bin/system/sign1.cgi?id=rhett@home.com$2

mutleyhyde
02-04-2001, 01:13 PM
I just put in my 2 cents worth Rhett :D !

rhett
02-04-2001, 07:10 PM
Thanks mutley...every little bit helps! :)

Mark Relford
02-04-2001, 11:42 PM
rhett, I haven't seen Mother's Boys. Have you seen Perfect? (with Travolta.) Now, that's a trial by fire for any JLC fan! :D
I double dog dare you to sit through that clunker! ;)

Good luck on your TT petition. It deserves a nice SE. A commentary with Curtis, Spottiswoode, and Copperfield would be killer!

rhett
02-05-2001, 12:49 AM
Perfect is awesome. I am one of the few people who really dig this film. It has got some cheese in it, but what 80's film doesn't. Both Travolta and JLC are very good in their roles, and JLC is the hottest she's ever been in this one. Add to that a classic 80's soundtrack and some great aerobics montages, and you've got a winner in my eyes. :)

rhett
07-15-2002, 07:25 PM
Hey guys, here is an update on the status of the Prom Night DVD.

As we all know, Prom Night has been put OOP by Anchor Bay over a year ago. At first we all thought this meant that an SE was planned, but Michael Felsher yesterday in the chat has confirmed the opposite. He told me that the reson Prom Night is OOP is that Anchor Bay no longer owns the rights to the title.

Bad news for Prom Night fans I'm affraid, it looks like we are going to have to make due with the original AB disc (if you can still find it). :(

Hellbilly
07-15-2002, 07:50 PM
Sad news indeed. :(

Max Yokell
07-15-2002, 09:25 PM
I would like a copy of Prom Night on DVD. If you get an extra and want to work a trade or direct cash payment let me know.

E-Mail Me (myokell@mindspring.com)

Max

KillerCannabis
07-16-2002, 03:38 AM
I've still not seen this movie, but if it available (assuming I can find it) for $8.99, maybe I should run out and pick up a copy.