PDA

View Full Version : The Kiss (1988)

Hellbilly
03-13-2004, 11:09 PM
Niece Amy: "What Do You Want?"
Aunt Felice (deep deep voice): "A KIIIISSSS!"

Nope, Aunt Felice ain't a lesbian. She's just some European Supermodel with a huge gross birthmark on her back. Plus, she's really into Voodoo and has the strangest looking pet cat you've ever seen ...
but let's start from the beginning:

Once upon a time there where two young sisters, Felice & Hilary. They got seperated somewhere's in Africa. Hilary moved to America and Felice, after getting french-kissed by her Aunt, moved to Europe.
Many years later the euro-sister pops up in America demanding to see her Niece Amy. Hilary isn't very happy about that so she goes window shopping for a gun! A few secs later one of her legs is torn off in a freak accident ...

Holla! Felice is back using her "supernatural" powers to get rid of anybody that stands in her way reaching Amy.
Her time is running out because she needs to kiss Amy really badly. Why?
So she can pass the family curse and ... survive (?)

Did I ever had fond memories of this movie. Easily one of my most beloved flicks from the 80s ... but watching it again on DVD after so many years I gotta admit THE KISS didn't hold up very well.
Plot holes, a few bad dialogues and some cheesy special effects that made me snicker.
However, a few scenes are still gory and well made. Mom crashing through a window run over by a car and seeing Amy's boyfriend hit by a truck foreshadows FINAL DESTINATION a bit there.
Amy's friend getting sliced by her own necklace on the escalator is another highlight and a semi-classic scene of some sorts. Moments of FRIGHT NIGHT when Brenda, the friendly neighbor and family friend, approaches Amy's house on a stormy night - and Felice's venom spitting muppet-cat from hell delivers the (cheesy) goods aswell.
Director Pen Densham did manage the final 30 minutes quite alright with halfway suspenseful moments thrown in - and a more or less kick ass ending in the pool ... which was slightly ruined by the extreme fake looking rubber Lizard that came from Felice's mouth. ;)
Speaking of Felice ... Joanna Pacula shines all the way. She's drop dead gorgeous & deliciously evil. Oh yeah, gotta mention Meredith Salenger (Amy) who's also a sight for sore eyes.

This Canadian lensed chiller ain't great but not sucky bad either.
Worth a peek for the lovely Joanna Pacula alone :)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00014X8JK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Released on DVD by Columbia not too long ago.

Video: Surprise! THE KISS is presented in anamorphic 1.85:1 widescreen. More or less sharp Image, print appears to be clean (mostly) and the colors are solid.

Audio: 2.0 Surround. Sounded a bit dated but still ok.

Extras: Just a few Coming Attractions but none for THE KISS which sucks. The cool Trailer used to be at www.videodetective.com (http://www.videodetective.com/) but not anymore :(

Tawny
03-13-2004, 11:59 PM
Here's the trailer right here. :) http://videodetective.com/home.asp?x=y&SpeedTestResults=144000&PublishedID=552639&AltID=&CustomerID=14817&WM=False&Ads=True&Play=TRUE

Hellbilly
03-14-2004, 12:02 AM
:D
Damn, why couldn't I find it? Never mind, thanks! :)

Tawny
03-14-2004, 12:06 AM
You're welcome. As you know from my taste, this movie is right up my alley. I have had Wiz on the lookout for the dvd since it was released a few weeks ago, with no luck. Fortunately, I have made arrangements to get it in a trade, so I am looking forward to that. As far as the movie, I'm sure it will show its age. But since I loved it growing up, it will always hold a place in my fond movie memories. I thought all of the actors did a fine job with the exceptiom of Nicholas Kilbertus(?) who played the Dad. Not only were his lines cheesy as hell, but coming out of his mouth were even more unbelievable.He is a terrible actor!

RyanPC
03-14-2004, 03:21 AM
That cover sucks ass, but I can't wait to see it!

And oh yeah, great review Helly. :)

Hellbilly
03-14-2004, 08:06 AM
I thought all of the actors did a fine job with the exception of Nicholas Kilbertus (?) who played the Dad. Not only were his lines cheesy as hell, but coming out of his mouth were even more unbelievable. He is a terrible actor!So true. He couldn't handle anything. One of the lamest Dad characters in movies ever.

Katatonia
03-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Great review!

I haven't seen The Kiss DVD on the shelves of any store yet. Best Buy, Circuit City, and Hastings all didn't have it on the release date...and still don't! That is just weird...it's not like this is a Troma C-movie afterall. I ended up just ordering it cheaper.

I agree, the DVD quality is quite good. The colors are very vibrant and sharp. It does suck that Columbia/Tri-Star hardly ever puts the theatrical trailer for the actual movie on the DVD of it! :fire:

RyanPC
03-18-2004, 05:14 AM
Finally finished watching this, my review should be finished and up on DVD Maniacs sometime in the weeks ahead. Anyhoo, I found it to be an entertaining, yet mildly generic chiller that is worth a viewing. The acting was fine, but I do agree that the dad was incredibly cheesy and lame. It was weird seeing him in those sex scenes with Pacula because he seemed almost like the dad from a show like Leave It To Beaver. :lol:

puddytay
06-19-2004, 08:44 AM
O MY GOD this movie is truely amazing. Such a FUN film to watch. I loved it all the way through. I found the lead chick incredibly hot. Does that make me a pervert since she looked only like 16? She had some huge knockers on her.
The acting from the dad is equivelant to the dad on Troll 2. The simularities are uncanny. In a way this movie reminds me of it. But trust me its no where as bad as troll 2. People like troll 2 because its so bad its good. The Kiss is just awsome. I can't belive I haven't heard of it. This is going in my top 10 favorite horror movies of all time. Wow I am so shocked.
Ps. I read a few reviews where they said the transfer was horrible. It really isnt. The colors were great, a bit of grain. There were some bad artifacts in the first 5 mins of the film. And a few around the end. But overall a very decent transfer.

Tawny
06-19-2004, 04:49 PM
I'm glad you liked it. Its a childhood favorite of mine. And no, you're not a pervert for finding Meredith Salenger hot. I love this movie, especially the escalator scene! I thought Joanna Pacula was equally hot, and I have a hard time deciding who I liked better.

Cujo108
06-21-2004, 09:27 AM
Billy knows I love this film, but he may be the only one, hehe. Joanna Pacula is truly gorgeous, and shines as the evil seductress. The film also has some cool, albeit sometimes cheesy, sequences. Love the ending in the pool especially. Was very pleased when this hit DVD earlier this year. Wasn't pleased when I saw they didn't include the film's groovy trailer.