PDA

View Full Version : Oasis of the Zombies

Jason25
07-19-2001, 06:49 AM
I was wondering if I should pick up this Image dvd. I have seen and quite enjoy this Franco film. I know some of Image's dvds have been hit or miss lately, in my opinion and was wondering if someone who had the disc could share and tell us how it looks and sounds. Thanks

crank
07-19-2001, 09:39 PM
The Image DVD looks pretty good, especially considering what the movie is. The film on the other hand won't appeal to all but the most harcore of zombie fans. It's up with there with Zombie Lake (which I also own) and is about the cheesiest thing you'll ever see.

I love it, but I couldn't in all concience recommend it to another euro-horror fan without at least warning them first.

crank

Werner Von Wallenrod
07-19-2001, 10:50 PM
Oasis of the Zombies. It's got zombies, and it's got a tank (there's even a picture of each on the box)... The perfect marriage! What more could you ask of a film, besides zombies and a tank?? Oh, well, maybe fire... But guess what?? IT'S GOT THAT, TOO!!!! Zombies, a tank, and fire... Why don't you own this already? Damn, nincompoop! You know what else it's got? Do you? Huh? It's got lesbians AND hidden treasure! Sure, many films will either have lesbians in it, or maybe some hidden treasure... but how many films can claim to have lesbians AND hidden treasure in it?? Not very many that I can think of, that's for sure... Jess Franco is da man... Zombies, a tank, fire, lesbians, and hidden treasure... Buy it, buy it, buy it!!

P.s. - If Elite Entertainment (or another video company) would like use this text for the keepcase of the next pressing of their Oasis disc, contact me, and I'll let you have it for $20. ;)

Jason25
07-20-2001, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the information. I'll definitely be picking this up.

skinnypuppy6
07-20-2001, 03:17 AM
good film! but the the two chicks at the beginning should not have been killed off so soon other than that its one for the ZOMBIE collection!

Ralph Mouth
07-20-2001, 10:44 PM
I saw this the other day and would also recommend you get the disc...I intend to. Having read so much bad stuff about it, I was pleasantly surprised. But then I like Franco films so I'm biased.

I also saw "Zombie Lake" the same night - now that one really deserves its rep, but guess what, I have a kind of soft spot for it. It really needs to be given its hat and shown the door, but it tries so hard you just let it carry on its merry way. The zombies in the lake which is actually someone's swimming pool; the zombie make up that falls off; the corny zombie/daughter relationship that is suppossed to bring tears to your eyes - which it did actually, but for all the wrong reasons; the old granny; the dubbing; the cameraman and boom operator seen walking into Howard Vernon's study in a mirror; the little girls closing comments. I could write a book about why this film is so bad - despite the promising opening with the naked lady and the volley ball team who go skinny dipping ("Sha-la-la, la-la, la-la"). Definately right up there with "Plan 9" on the so-bad-its-good scale.

Jason25
07-29-2001, 10:54 PM
Picked up the disc and I'm impressed with it. Thanks for all of the info.

Werner Von Wallenrod
07-30-2001, 01:48 AM
I think, actually, it was a BASKETBALL team that went skinny-dipping... They just happened to be play volleyball for that one, great scene. Dammit, that's important! :p
Another reason Zombie Lake kicks ass: the (nazi) zombies get in a Westside Story-style knife fight over a girl. Name another zombie movie that has a scene like that! ...I'll run out and buy it immediately!

...I think all mayors should live in mini-castles...