PDA

View Full Version : Otogirisio (St. John's Wort) - Merged Thread

DVD Connoisseur
05-31-2003, 09:07 PM
When video game makers decide to visit a decaying gothic mansion (which belonged to one of the crew's deceased relatives) in order to produce their next video game, things go weird very quickly indeed. It's only a matter of time before things become deadly serious and long hidden secrets are revealed...

St. John's Wort (2001) is an example of a modern horror film. It's shot using digital cameras, giving it that unique hi-tech sheen that some may love or hate. The effects in post-production are interesting, for example, scenes going into fast forward, pausing and rewinding, etc. There's an interesting use of colour and an impressive use of sound effects, too.

Despite the modern look of the film, the script sadly did not hold me glued to my seat with fear and anticipation of events to come. In fact, there were moments when this film became a little boring. It tries to blend reality and virtual reality but doesn't really cut the mustard in the way I felt Avalon did. This film may be interesting for those interested in the geography / making of video games but that's where any deepness ends.

Still, there are a couple of attractive girls in the movie for those looking for eye candy, and mixed with impressive video effects and a top drawer soundtrack, this still rates as around 7/10. After other recent top-drawer explorations into Asian cinema, I felt this was disappointing but the bare-bones R3 DVD is inexpensive and still provides more entertainment value than many of its western counterparts.....

Blade
06-01-2003, 06:00 PM
I agree with what you are saying. St. JW is not a great horror movie. It lacks good scare scene's, and the plot can be a little silly at times. But like you say, the dvd soundtrack is very good, with excellent use of surrounds to create atmosphere. Avalon is so much more interesting, I adore it.

Deaddevilman
06-02-2003, 07:37 AM
Uhgg.. this movie was a waste of time.

Hellbilly
03-17-2004, 05:08 PM
I've watched the trailer the other day and it looked ok to me. It's available on DVD in Germany with Original audio but no subtitles:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000E261A.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Worth checking out?

ArtofFighting
03-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Well, there's some interesting CG elements and use of digital video, but overall I found it to be pretty weak.

There's a HK disc of the film with subtitles. I ordered mine way back when from www.dddhouse.com, but I'm sure it can be secured through most HK dvd retailers.

The basic premise of the plot had the potential to be pretty good, but it ended up just seeming cheap and poorly written, partially due to the use of digital video. Basically, a group of game designers decide to seek out some inspiration from an old spooky mansion that just so happens to be the recent inheritance of one of the staff members. The story unfolds as they find out that an evil lurks in the mansion that just so happens to be connected to its new owner.

I seem to recall getting it pretty cheap, so if you're feeling daring and forgiving, give it a shot, but make sure you're feeling open minded.

Blade
03-18-2004, 12:28 PM
It surely isn't a great movie, but there are some fairly tense moments and it has a destinct look to it. I would go for it if you can get it cheap (DDDhouse), otherwise don't bother with it.

Deaddevilman
03-18-2004, 02:20 PM
I did'nt enjoy this much either. The first time I watched it I feel asleep and it ended up taking several viewings for me to get through the entire movie. If you can't get it for under $6... forget it. A classic cover being better then the film movie.

maybrick
03-18-2004, 05:46 PM
There have been few movies released that I've hated more than St. John's Wort. Imagine yourself a movie made in the style of a Playstation survival horror video game a la Resident Evil, only they forgot to add zombies, or ghosts or anything else that would be remotely considered scary. Something happens at the end but by that time you're too busy reading a magazine or going to the kitchen to get a snack to even care. If you can't rent it, then skip it. I swear, you'd have more fun watching a demo of Silent Hill than watching this movie

Wermode
03-18-2004, 08:36 PM
OK, I'll be the voice of the minority here. I've generally liked the characters and visual style of St. John's Wort, and the story is ok, too. Since its release, though, that frantic/static/distorted visual style has been done, and overdone, and done to death (see Fear.com, Nightstalker, House of 1000 Corpses, etc). I suspect if I came to the film for the first time now, I would be less enthusiastic about it. Still, as mentioned above, you can get it pretty cheap, so I say go for it.

marcx
04-22-2004, 03:18 AM
I just watched this for the first time--and I rather enjoyed it. Slow and creepy with gobs of style--and intereesting use of video game techniques in a film--appropriate use of Dv and interesting color effects topped off witha superb DTS track---I liked!

Katatonia
04-22-2004, 05:18 AM
I rented this the other week and absolutely hated it. I had a hard time even sitting through until the end.

marcx
04-22-2004, 01:45 PM
Well I agree that the plot was a little acking the teh style and concept hooked me....