PDA

View Full Version : Tales Of Frankenstein

Yowie
07-21-2001, 03:57 PM
Just saw this brand new release from All Day Entertainment last night. Who else have seen it yet ?. At first I was a little disappointed that most of the chapters on this compilation DVD are old scratchy trailers from various Frankenstein movies, but the highpoints of the disc (beside the rare Hammer pilot) are clearly 3 interesting on-camera interviews with Boris Karloff, Peter Cushing and Michael Carreras. Unfortunately the interviews are way too short, a few minutes, and over before you know it. (-I wish somebody would do a bit of "interview snatching", and dig up all the old interviews with Karloff they could find, and stick them all on one DVD, perhaps including his classic "This Is Your Life" TV special. -Hey All Day, how about such a project next ?.) I'd never seen the infamous "Tales..." pilot before, so it's nice to finally have it even though the picture quality is not all that good. I think Anton Diffring was a mighty fine, and sadly underrated actor, trapped playing evil Germans. There's also an excellent, and quite long, radio interview with the great Boris. -This very informative interview, which of course no true fan can afford to be without, saves the DVD, in my opinion.

carl.kolchak
07-21-2001, 09:03 PM
With all the Hammer dvds I still need to pick up I had kind of moved this one down on my list, but it does sound interesting. Thanks for the info Yowie! :cool:

Yowie
07-21-2001, 09:33 PM
I forgot to give any real comment on the "Tales..." pilot itself. It has its moments, but it's also easy to see why it wasn't picked up on. Compared to, say, the brilliant "Curse Of Frankenstein" that Hammer had recently made, it falls flat on its b/w arse. They are worlds apart in quality, storywise and in every other way, but that's no big surprise of course. Still, it's a curio worth having.

jae
07-24-2001, 03:19 PM
Well both my Tales of Frankenstein and Horror of Hammer DVDs shipped out today from Amazon.. I was hoping the video quality would be better on the trailers but I'll take it anyways.

Is it true that the TOF DVD has outtakes from Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein? Being a big Lugosi fan I'm hoping to catch him in some of those.

Things like these are why I'm buying the DVDs. Interviews, outtakes, commentaries..

Yowie
07-24-2001, 10:13 PM
Yes, it has some rare A&CMF on it. (Just checked again, and not all of the trailers are bad, actually.)

Mok
06-15-2005, 10:08 PM
I forgot to give any real comment on the "Tales..." pilot itself. It has its moments, but it's also easy to see why it wasn't picked up on. Compared to, say, the brilliant "Curse Of Frankenstein" that Hammer had recently made, it falls flat on its b/w arse. They are worlds apart in quality, storywise and in every other way, but that's no big surprise of course. Still, it's a curio worth having.

Just wondering if this film/pilot has a resurrection scene involving lightning? Also, does it end in the winter/arctic setting or have any scenes in that local?