PDA

View Full Version : Evil Dead Trap - Wow!!

DVD Connoisseur
12-27-2000, 01:51 PM
I may have missed the boat, so to speak, with this posting but I've only just viewed the movie...and I loved it. I really didn't know what to expect and the film delivered in spades. The strongest point of EDT is the atmosphere - I honestly thought I was scare-proof but this movie showed I was wrong. I was really involved with this film, particularly in the first half, as the characters investigated the factory and its grounds. The film isn't an exercise in gore - sure, there are some bloody scenes in there, but the film is well made and excellently timed. I cared for the characters - a very important factor in any movie like this - and was thus on the edge of my seat as the film unfolded. I know there are unofficial sequels - has anybody seen them? What other Japanese movies would you recommend? I already have Organ in my collection but IMHO it's not a patch on Evil Dead Trap.

SantaSangre
12-27-2000, 03:39 PM
Well, I hear that The Ring is very scary. I recently won the VCD on ebay w/ english subtitles. I'll let you know how it is once I get it.
Carey

DVD Connoisseur
12-27-2000, 06:24 PM
I keep hearing very positive things about The Ring. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this film. Hopefully, someone will release it on DVD in the near future. Synapse certainly issued a polished version of Evil Dead Trap - if they obtain The Ring, it would make a great addition to their (already impressive) catalogue.

cooldevices
12-27-2000, 06:49 PM
I have Evil Dead Trap 2 on the Japan Shock Video label from the Netherlands its all region and NTSC it has nothing in common with the first Evil Dead Trap and though not as good still delivers some gory scenes.

DVD Connoisseur
12-28-2000, 06:59 PM
cooldevices, what's the quality of EDT2 like in terms of picture / sound quality? I'm tempted by this release but haven't seen any reviews.

cooldevices
12-28-2000, 10:15 PM
Hi DVD Connoisseur, the image quality is okay a bit better than the first its in widescreen not much else in the way of extras its a slow film to get into but there are some pretty gory scenes further into the movie. Which is about the spirit of a dead boy possesing a girl to commit murders. not to everyones taste but stick with it as it gets better. if your'e a fan of asian horror movies i.e. Untold Story 1 and 2, The Imp(1996), organ, you'll enjoy it.

DVD Connoisseur
12-28-2000, 10:37 PM
Cheers, cooldevices. I'll give this title a try - I'm a fan of HK movies and Manga and have recently been expanding into Japanese horror. I enjoyed Untold Story but haven't purchased the sequel yet. The Imp is a movie I'm not familiar with. I'll have to do a little research into this one!

Lindane
12-29-2000, 02:14 PM
hey connoisseur, Evil Dead Trap was a great film but dont expect part 2 to be nearly as good as the first one. I went out and rented the sequel immediately after the viewing of the first one and was very disapointed. I think maybe it was just that fat tubby bitch that really turned me off about it. However, there is more gore in the second one and thats always a plus!

DeepDownTraumaHound
12-31-2000, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by SantaSangre:
Well, I hear that The Ring is very scary. I recently won the VCD on ebay w/ english subtitles. I'll let you know how it is once I get it.
Carey
The VCD version of the Ring is a terrible representation of this awesome movie. The subtitles are incorrect and the quality is not all that great.
This movie should be released in The States with proper treatment. it was one of the top grossing movies in Japan ever! This movie is a must see!

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

DVD Connoisseur
12-31-2000, 11:03 PM
Guys - this may be of interest. Metro-Tartan are releasing a DVD of The Ring in the UK on the 10th March. Ring 2 and Ring 0 (the prequel, I presume) will follow later in 2001! Excellent news!