PDA

View Full Version : Eyes Of Laura Mars (1978)

Hellbilly
03-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Can you believe this film was supposed to star Barbra Streisand? Thank god she refused, for whatever reason ... BUT, wicked Barb left a nasty little surprise behind. She sings the theme song. If you can get over that you are in for a pleasant good time.

Enter the glamorous and exciting world of Laura Mars (Faye Dunaway), a successful New Yorker fashion photographer but her pictures are causing scandals - showing violence, murder and explicit nudity. Laura gets her ideas from visions of actual murder scenes, a fact that kind of concerns Detective John Neville (Tommy Lee Jones) who is hot on the case after Laura's friends get brutally killed one by one ... stabbed in the eyes with an ice pick.

Her ex-husband Michael (Raul Julia) becomes the prime suspect, but maybe it was her Chauffeur with a criminal past, Tommy (Brad Dourif)? And if that was not enough, Laura can also witness the murders of her friends happening, transmitted via psychic broadcast through the eyes of the killer - in real time ...

----------

Based on John Carpenter's original screenplay, Eyes Of Laura Mars is a nice little piece of work there. A stylish thriller with a supernatural twist and enough suspense to keep one attentive. The pacing might drag a bit here and there and Laura Mars' quarrel with her alcoholic ex-husband is kind of cliche but overall, this is well made stuff.

Faye Dunaway is simply excellent in this film. Great & fun cast in general, everybody is doing a fine job. The score is excellent as well - but I blame the year this film was made for the addition of (more or less) cheesy disco tunes that made me snicker. Enough praise already, just buy the damn disc and enjoy.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0767821610.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Released by Columbia Tri-Star on DVD a few years ago.

Video: Anamorphic 1.78:1 Widescreen (fool screen on side B). Mostly clean print with sharp image. Colors look fine, no complaints here.

Audio: 2.0 Mono. It's mono so don't expect much.

Extras: Filmographies / Photo Gallery / Visions Featurette (still need to check that one out) / Audio Commentary by director Irvin Kershner. Quite informative commentary but kinda dry. Kershner talks about scenes and what they've meant, praising the actors and has one or two tales to tell about the production etc.

dwatts
03-28-2004, 07:54 PM
Hey, thanks for that. I pass this film by all the time, and never even thought to read the synopsis. So it was good to read it here, since it sounds intriquing.

Nice one.

RyanPC
03-28-2004, 08:29 PM
I agree, Helly- this one is a winner! Great review, they get better each time! :banana:

Hammerfan
03-28-2004, 10:19 PM
This is one of my favorite suspense films, not to mention Faye Dunaway performances. The original Carpenter script was title EYES. It was produced by Streisand's then-time lover Jon Peters (BATMAN). The theme song was the collaboration, as mentioned before.

I first saw this on the CBS Sunday Night Movie some 20 plus years ago. It scared the shit out of me as a kid. This was one of the first DVDs I ever owned and it has a special place in my collection.

moogong
03-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Wow, early Tommy Lee Jones..that gets my interest peaked. Thanks for the heads up on this, Helly!

dwatts
09-22-2007, 10:53 AM
And in typical dwatts fashion, three years later and I finally get to watch this one. :lol:

And wow, I think this is terrific! Love the late 70's ambiance, love the performances, love the crappy soundtrack, love the "sexy" models posing in the street (pulling eahc othes hair in front of a burning vehicle), love the huge set of loose ends (did they forget about the visions in the end?) and love the climax (even if, post Columbo, you'll have figured it out).

This is just wonderful, like a TV movie gone mad. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish and recommend it to all. Also, the DVD looks fantastic!

DVD-fanatic-9
09-22-2007, 03:58 PM
I liked the movie quite a bit. And I don't much care for Barbra Streisand's music but I really liked the title song. This is definitely the best of that whole subgenre of movies about model killers and "Hollywood slashers." Even slightly better, I'd say, than De Palma's Blow Out, which always struck me to be similar.

_pi_
09-22-2007, 05:36 PM
This is just wonderful, like a TV movie gone mad.

Haha, that is the most perfect description of this film I've ever heard!

Love it! :D

DVD-fanatic-9
09-23-2007, 03:06 AM
Haha, that is the most perfect description of this film I've ever heard!

Love it! :D
Holy shit, I didn't even read that! Hysterical!! That's 2 votes for "love it."

Matt89
11-26-2007, 04:27 AM
I grabbed this movie about 6 months ago. The store had it for $8.99 so I just HAD to. I'd always wanted to see this from the reviews I read on The Terror Trap. And what do you know, I still haven't watched it! I think I might finally give it a spin in about a week after I'm done writing my finals before the Christmas break. (I've gone nuts buying DVDs online lately so I'll have something new and interesting to watch for the good month that I'm off school. I never have ANY time to watch movies anymore. The profs really make sure you have almost NO life.)

But now that I heard it's similar to Blow Out, I know I'll give this one a look. De Palma's always been my favourite director.

~Matt