PDA

View Full Version : Horror DVDs in Japan

napalm68
01-24-2001, 01:18 PM
I'm just in japan for a holiday, and I have seen some pretty good dvds over here. Not sure of transfer quality of the newer ones, but have seen a few I was unaware even existed - namely Cronenberg's The Brood and Argento's Cat o Nine Tails. I'm pretty tempted by the Brood, as I have the shitty UK one. Sorry, I mean the totally fucking awful uk transfer... A lot of other horror film's I've seen, including a german one which look pretty horrid, both verwsions of dawn of the dead (argento and romero dc).

Man the only thing worse than a japansese keyboard is a japanese keyboard on a laptop. painful.

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

mutleyhyde
01-24-2001, 02:16 PM
What info do you have on the Cat O' nine Tails disc? Is it regionless? In English with removable subs? A legit release? If so, get me one already!

------------------
"When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
M. Hyde

The Chaostar
01-24-2001, 02:18 PM
Hope you have a great time there Napalm!
I would buy the BROOD dvd at once.
CAt though has no english soundtrack, just a japanese and an italian one. Look for horror vcd's. their quality may not be the best but you'll find some rare gems there!

napalm68
01-24-2001, 03:00 PM
cat o nine is a legit release. yeah, probaslby just italian and jap subs - i will check.

I think i have seen nearly all argentos films and all fulcis films over here. and most of polanskis. i am looking for that good one of his that catherin denuve was in.

I think i will get the brood, so i can actually watch the damn film. i am here for another week or so, so i will keep my eyes open for a discount copy. if not, ill get the expensive one... http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif

oh yeah., i'd forgotten how difficult it is looking through cds and movies in japan - they either attempt to sort western stuff alphabetically (and badly) or using japanese phonetice, where The Brood comes before Suspiria (if they sort the brood by The (Za)). If they sort Brood by Brood (Buru), it cpomes before "Field of Dreams" (Fu-a)...

madness... die keyboard die

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

[This message has been edited by napalm68 (edited 01-24-2001).]

napalm68
01-26-2001, 09:44 AM
Had a pretty successful day. Found some good supplies of second hand dvds in Osaka, and picked up a copy of Scream half price (still expensive, mind you - 2700 yen - about US$27).

And on a nice bonus, I picked up the Japanese movie books for Suspiria and Profundo Rosso. These are original and probable about 25-30 years old - and only cost me 300 yen. Very very good condition. They actually had some other copies of them, and some others that I was interested in, like Friday 13th, The Fog, The Thing, and Demons.

Unfortunately no such luck finding a cheap copy of The Brood being a new release...

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

napalm68
01-26-2001, 09:47 AM
Oh, yes, the Cat o nin tails is italian language only with japanese subs.

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

Maupin
01-26-2001, 12:08 PM
Most releases over here are region 2. Regionless DVDs are extremely rare.

You've probably seen them, Napalm68, but the Ring movies are worth getting on DVD. Ring 1, 2, and 0. In a similar vein, Joyuu Rei (only on video) is creepy and has a great ghost attack scene. If you're a fan of creepy ghost films, the Ring ones rule. Ignore Rasen (Spiral).

K'
01-26-2001, 04:42 PM
Must be cool to shop in japan for dvd fan. they have very nice releases of many movies that are not released on dvd elsewhere.
Like the Scream DC or Ebola Syndrome....
Does anybody know if it is true that Jason goes to hell is out on dvd in itīs unrated form in japan?

------------------
Whoever said violence never solves problems
obviously never used enough of it.

napalm68
01-27-2001, 01:23 AM
Maupin - the region of a dvd doesn't particularly matter to me... Doesn't bother me at all actually... http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

And the ring dvds are coming out in the UK anyhow

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

[This message has been edited by napalm68 (edited 01-26-2001).]

Jeremy
01-27-2001, 04:21 AM
Napalm68, you didn't happen to run across any copies of Lamberto Bava's Monster Shark, did you? This one was supposed to be released over there on 12/22/00, but I haven't heard anything else. All I want to know is if this DVD is in fact out. Sazuma lists it available for order but, what can I say? Their site is fucked. Still.

napalm68
01-28-2001, 12:27 AM
Jeremy - I'll have a look for you. Do you know if it has a Japanese name, or just a Phoneticised version of the english name. If the former, do you know what it would be?

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

ArrowBeach
01-28-2001, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by napalm68:
Jeremy - I'll have a look for you. Do you know if it has a Japanese name, or just a Phoneticised version of the english name. If the former, do you know what it would be?

It has 2 titles in Japan. When it played in the theatres and came out on video back in 1987, it was called AKUMA NO SAKANA or something like that.The new title for DVD is something like THE NEW JAWS 2 or something stupid like that!

Jeremy
01-28-2001, 05:14 AM
Thanks guys!

Ganzheit
01-28-2001, 08:29 AM
I live in Japan and can give some answers to questions that were raised in the thread:

1. MONSTER SHARK is out on DVD. I have seen it and the English title I believe was JAWS 2.

2. JASON GOES TO HELL is out and should be the unrated version.

Other interesting titles released here recently are NECRONOMICON (unrated, 16:9 enhanced) and several Fulci's: ZOMBIE 3 (released as ZOMBIE 2), MURDER ROCK, MANHATTAN BABY, GATES OR HELL, NEW YORK RIPPER, ZOMBIE (aka ZOMBIE 2), AENIGMA.

There's also a seemingly interesting Japanese horror film out with English subtitles. The name of the film is IKI-JIGOKU (Living Hell). Does anyone know anything about this film?

Dave
01-28-2001, 02:00 PM
Jason Goes to Hell Jap. DVD is Pan & Scan though. Why bother? I'm fairly certain Jason Goes to Hell will appear on domestic DVD this year, so better to wait it out.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

K'
01-28-2001, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Dave:
Jason Goes to Hell Jap. DVD is Pan & Scan though. Why bother? I'm fairly certain Jason Goes to Hell will appear on domestic DVD this year, so better to wait it out.

Just saw that http://www.digital-movie.de/ reported that you US guys get it in August 2001. They name Horror Heaven (http://horrorzone.virtualave.net/html/news.htm) as source.
Donīt know how legit this info is....

------------------
Whoever said violence never solves problems
obviously never used enough of it.