PDA

View Full Version : Tenebre vs. Unsane

Suicide
07-24-2001, 06:46 PM
Ok I'm no expert but I think Unsane is the American Tenebre. Am I right? The reason I ask is today at the pawn shop I came across a video of Unsane. I know that Tenebre is out uncut on DVD and what have you, but I can get the Unsane video for like $3, and I haven't seen the Tenebre DVD around here. Plus I'm afraid of the Anchor Bay Argento DVD's after my Deep Red mishap.
So my question is how badly cut is the Unsane video, is it just missing a few gore scenes, or does it have key story elements removed? I would have just bought it for the hell of it, but there was a big ass line.

Paff
07-24-2001, 07:36 PM
I've kinda wanted to see Unsane as a goof, just to see how different it is, maybe do a side-by-side comparison. I've been meaning to do that with Phenomena/Creepers as well.

But I can't possibly see why anyone would consider an edited VHS version over an uncut DVD. Or anything on VHS over a disc version for that matter. I bought a copy of Nonhosonno on tape this weekend, and while I haven't watched it all the way through yet, I previewed the first few minutes and was quickly annoyed with crappy picture you have with VHS. How is this format still alive?

so to answer your question, I'd say buy it as a curiousity, but don't watch it until you've seen the REAL version first. As far as concerns with it locking up, what kind of DVD player are you using? I have an entry-level Toshiba, and had no problems, other than an obviously defective Traffic disc. I have several Anchor Bay discs, and they're all top-notch, including (and especially) Deep Red.

Mario77
07-24-2001, 09:06 PM
I also have an entery level Toshiba and have never had any problems with Anchor Bay discs; hell, I've never even had any problems with the Phenomena disc that everyone gripes about.
Sure, pick up the Unsane VHS for shits and giggles, but listen to Paff, don't watch it until you've seen the real film, Tenebre. Unsane was a favorite rental of mine in the 80's but until I saw Tenebre on DVD, I didn't know what I was missing. There is not only violence missing but definitely some key thematic and plot points conspicuously absent as well.
You should definitely pick up the Tenebre DVD... don't be scared. :D

Andrew
07-24-2001, 09:40 PM
Tenebre was great, as was the DVD. I need to sell it though, since I'm getting the 2-disc Argento sets soon, I hope.

Jason25
07-25-2001, 12:59 AM
Stay away from Unsane. I would definitely suggest you get the Tenebrae dvd.

Suicide
07-25-2001, 01:41 AM
Well I think I might just pick up the Unsane tape, and not watch it till I see the real version. I'll get it just for novelty purposes. Plus I gotta go back to the pawn shop to get the Nightmare Before Christmas DVD. Last time I got the Evil Dead Elite disc and Army of Darkness for $10 a piece. I love the pawn shop.

Black_Mandarin
07-25-2001, 10:27 PM
Tenebre works fine on my Toshiba. Great DVD, uncut is the only way to go, especially for the payoff ending which is butchered in the US/UNSANE cut.

bruce h
07-26-2001, 02:59 AM
Unsane is missing approx 10 minutes of stuff, not just gore but some camera shots and dialogue bits as well (although the 27 seconds missing from the AB DVD are all intact). the end credit music has also been changed.

the tape is pretty much worthless, don't waste your money.