PDA

View Full Version : Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks

RyanPC
04-16-2004, 05:33 AM
Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks (1975) **1/2 The only connections between this film and ILSA, SHE WOLF OF THE SS are Dyanne Thorne and the Ilsa character. Other than that, it's a totally different film; a sequel in name only. This time around, Ilsa is the warden of a harem run by El Sharif, a sheik in the Middle East. She watches over the girls to make sure they will be able to properly please their master. An American diplomat, knowing that something is up, travels to meet the sheik, attempting to catch him in the act. At first, the American and Ilsa are enemies, but soon they become lovers. El Sharif wants her to have the American killed. Will she obey her master, or will she succumb to the spell that has overtaken her?

The main reason why this film is so different from the original is because the tone is less serious here than it was in SHE WOLF. Dyanne Thorne is over-the-top, unlike her past portrayal of the character, making this a less-cruel Ilsa. Sure, there are torture scenes, and the amount of bloodshed and nudity is about the same as in the first film, but they are handled much differently. They aren't nearly as disturbing as they were before. HAREM KEEPER has a very campy feel to it, and in the end that hurts the film. Sometimes campiness works with exploitation films and sometimes it doesn't. This is one of those cases where it does not.

In the end, I wouldn't say this is as "shocking" as the original ILSA film, as it says on the back of the DVD. It was somewhat enjoyable, but only in certain parts of the film. It lacks the power and even the authenticity of SHE WOLF, which was based on true events. The characters and plot (Plot? What plot?) are more complex in this sequel, but that doesn't necessarily make it better. It seems a lot longer than it really is, because it takes it's time getting to the good parts, which are few and far between. I would only recommend this to fans of campy exploitation films, and not to fans of the original. I suppose some will like it, and some won't- making this the perfect choice for a rental, not a purchase.

DefJeff
04-16-2004, 05:52 AM
Well, I personally find this film to be the best of the Ilsa Collection (I haven't seen Tigress of Sibera yet to say the best Ilsa film period).

I found the movies antics to be enjoyable and the "less serious" take on things as you put it, helped to make this far less of a chore to sit through then She Wolf of the SS was, which was mostly boring. Did you actually find any of the Ilsa films "shocking" ?

Easily one of the best scenes I haven seen recently was in this film; when that sheik buys the woman and says "One thing, I don't like the scraping of teeth" and next scene you see her getting her teeth hammered out by a group of people .. now that's what I call entertainment.

EDIT:

Hey, I don't mean to be a bother, but I read your "She Wolf of the SS" review and I see you put

I'd read many reviews that said the violence was graphic and hard-to-handle, and many scenes were disturbing and very bloody, but really it's quite tame in comparison to other films I've seen.

while in this review, you put

the amount of bloodshed and nudity is about the same as in the first film, but they are handled much differently. They aren't nearly as disturbing as they were before.

Why are you faulting Oil Sheiks for not being as disturbing as She-Wolf, when you say yourself that She-Wolf was tame?

RyanPC
04-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Well, I personally find this film to be the best of the Ilsa Collection (I haven't seen Tigress of Sibera yet to say the best Ilsa film period).

I found the movies antics to be enjoyable and the "less serious" take on things as you put it, helped to make this far less of a chore to sit through then She Wolf of the SS was, which was mostly boring. Did you actually find any of the Ilsa films "shocking" ?

Not really, because I've seen other films that are much more disturbing. Still haven't watched The Wicked Warden yet, which I've heard is the most disturbing of the pack.

Easily one of the best scenes I haven seen recently was in this film; when that sheik buys the woman and says "One thing, I don't like the scraping of teeth" and next scene you see her getting her teeth hammered out by a group of people .. now that's what I call entertainment.

Yeah, that was a great scene. Like I said in the review, there are certainly a few memorable sequences in HAREM KEEPER that make it enjoyable, but I just didn't find it as entertaining (even if the original was more serious) as the first ILSA.

EDIT:

Hey, I don't mean to be a bother, but I read your "She Wolf of the SS" review and I see you put

while in this review, you put

Why are you faulting Oil Sheiks for not being as disturbing as She-Wolf, when you say yourself that She-Wolf was tame?

Well, I didn't mean SHE WOLF was tame compared to every horror movie in existance, I meant it was tame compared to other shockers. However, there are definitely some disturbing scenes, so yes in a way it is shocking. I didn't see much that I considered shocking in either film, with the exception of a few scenes (the electronic exploding dildo in HAREM KEEPER, for example, was a very horrific yet ingenious plot device).

gore
07-22-2007, 05:57 PM
This movie was great! Best of the series.

RyanPC
07-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Heh, yeah. I have since changed my mind; I love this movie. :)

MorallySound
07-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Heh, yeah. I have since changed my mind; I love this movie. :)

Good! You should love ALL OF THEM!

RyanPC
07-22-2007, 08:17 PM
:lol:

I do! I need to watch Tigress of Siberia again, however. I don't remember much about it!

MorallySound
07-22-2007, 08:18 PM
:lol:

I do! I need to watch Tigress of Siberia again, however. I don't remember much about it!

The chainsaw arm wrestling scene is gold!

satans-sadists
07-23-2007, 04:47 PM
I have the Ilsa 3 pack from Anchor Bay and love them all. Picked up this out of print set several months ago from a comics dealer. Never saw Tigress of Siberia.

Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks is a blast! I love the fight scenes and especially actress Uschi Digard, one of my very favorite sexploitation stars. :evil:

Still have slight preference for Ilsa The Wicked Warden. The trash factor is hard to top in this one and it features a young Lina Romay. :evil:

Criswell
08-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Man. The original is a one off classic and will not be topped.