PDA

View Full Version : The Dead Are Alive

skinnypuppy6
07-25-2001, 03:35 AM
any body seen this disc? if you want a disc that looks like it was transfered from c- bootlegged video than this is the disc for you . i wander if the eurovista Cut Throats Nine is as bad as this?

dlundh
07-25-2001, 09:49 AM
Yes, I've seen it. And while it ain't pretty I double-dare you to watch their release of Amuck! A 2.35:1 movie P&S'd to pieces and even worse overall quality than The Dead are Alive.

The worst quality of any disc I have ever laid eyes on is The Lathe of Heaven. And it's a real shame to since there's a good movie lurking under the shadowy, bleak, artifactridden surface.

Yowie
07-25-2001, 09:38 PM
Not good news there. I was planning on getting both "Dead Are Alive" and "Cut-Throat Nine", but I guess I need to think it over hard now. I was gonna get "Cut..." for the snowy landscape scenes it's supposed to have. (-I'm a real sucker for that kinda thing, if the photography is good.) "Dead..." I understand, is in its original Scope format, and I guess that's always a plus if nothing else.

bruce h
07-26-2001, 03:53 AM
Eurovista's DVDs are the best presentations of the films that you're likely to see. Saying The Dead Are Alive looks like a C- quality bootleg tape is bullshit. I'll admit it's far from perfect, but it's relatively crisp with decent colors, not to mention extremely widescreen and uncut. the film print used has a lot of drop-outs and the audio has some distortion problems, but if you're wanting to see this rare giallo then the DVD is the best way to do it. Battle Of The Amazons looks and sounds better, but still isn't perfect. Cutthroats Nine is probably their best disc, and miles ahead of ALL video versions of the film i've seen. it's ltbx, with nice colors and crispness. the audio goes out of sync for the last two minutes or so, but this happens in every English language version of the film i've ever seen. Amuck was transferred from the OOP Catalina videotape, so quality is roughly the same, and it has interviews with Barabara Bouchet and Rosalba Neri and some of the soundtrack music. all of Eurovista's discs have trailers, talent prfiles, stills galleries, etc.

not a great company, but they're easily a few steps above the cheapo PD companies like Madacy and Diamond.

skinnypuppy6
07-26-2001, 04:21 AM
No, dead are alive= bad disc any Diamond disc blows this disc awaynot worth the 19.99 +shipping 10 bucks yeh just because its so rare!NO BULL SHIT but i still might risk blowing 20 bucks for cut throats nine!

skinnypuppy6
07-26-2001, 04:25 AM
dont get me wrong eurovista sent the disc out pretty quick and it was a snap to order but I exxpected a little more quality in the picture!

The Chaostar
07-26-2001, 03:02 PM
hey Bruce,
The Dead Are Alive is by no means less rare to find than
AUTOPSY
or
DON'T TORTURE THE DUCKLING
or
GANJA AND HESS

look at the transfers these films had!!!!

If eurovista had spend a good amount of money (for an anamorphic transfer perhaps?) with a CORRECT LETTERBOXING with no black bars ELIMINATING THE HEADS OF THE ACTORS then we might had something. Then I'd buy the god damn thing.
And many others too.
And they could get their money back.

But in the end the dvd's you make are equal to the money you take.

I must say though, I am really thinking of buying CUT THROAT NINE cause I saw a good review somewhere (at dvdcult I thing).

f.ramses
09-19-2009, 06:02 AM
I was all excited because I managed to track down a supposedly brand new copy of this movie but when I got it the other day inside my sealed box was a DVD-R with the title printed small in a plain font rather than the usual style Eurovista/Alfa Digital used for their disc's. Although it seems pretty safe to assume that this is a bootleg of the Eurovista release I was wondering if someone who had this could take a look at theirs and confirm since I do own a few DVD-R releases that are official and wanted to get my facts straight before contacting the merchant. Sucks, I already have a DVD-R of this from VSOM and only really wanted this to have it on a real DVD; I bet if the place I bought this from, the only place I could find this so late in the game, has copies to exchange they're going to probably be the same bs...

ReelFear
07-22-2010, 05:34 AM
i had the Eurovista piece of shit for years, and still loved the movie despite the transfer.. it was the best you could get, so no complaints here...
but now CODE RED has released a new DVD and it looks incredible!
you will see this bloody giallo in a whole new light! I give credit to Code Red for saving this important film from obscurity.

Crystal Plumage
07-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Dunno if you missed this, but there's a thread about the Code Red DVD here:
http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=40708

All this damn retitling of these movies doesn't make it easier for anyone, I guess.....

The Chaostar
07-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Eurovista's DVDs are the best presentations of the films that you're likely to see.

I've forgotten what an ass this guy was.

bruce h
07-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Maybe, but I'm usually right.

TheDreamMaster
07-30-2010, 11:48 AM
I recently got the Code Red DVD. The cover looks sweet as shit, and a title like "The Dead Are Alive" is hard to resist. Can't wait to give it a spin at some point.