PDA

View Full Version : King Of New York SE dvd

bigdaddyhorse
04-21-2004, 06:49 PM
I've been up on what horror movies are coming out on dvd, but missed hearing anything about this. I almost shit myself when I saw it at Best Buy yesterday, but held my bowels and quickly grabbed this.

For those who have never heard of this movie, I will try to explain it. IMO it's one of the best gang/mob/crime dramas ever made. Christopher Walken plays Frank White, fresh out of prison for drug charges. Upon his release, his loyal crew begin to take out other dealers. Frank is ready to get back in biz a big way, and the best way is to elimate the competition. His #1 man is Jump, played to perfection by Larry Fishburne (this was 1990, he wasn't Lawernce yet :D ).
As the body count rises, 2 young hot head cops (David Carusso and Wesley Snipes) are fed up with Frank's getting away with murder. Eventualy leading to them trying to take him down using Frank's own methods. Victor Argo is the vet cop who finally gives them the go-ahead after a night of drinking and reflecting. This turns into war between the gang and the cops.
I really don't know how to write about this film without giving away too much. Let me just say that it has an A-list cast, all in top form. You want blood, there's plenty. You want deep charcters, they all are. You want great quotes, they're here.
Director Abel Ferrerra made some amazing movies, and this is one the top of the list. Artisan (I thought they got bought out and were DOA) have put out one of their best dvds to date here.

First you have widescreen of fullscreen options (on different discs). The new widescreen version just crushes the old, now out of print dvd that used to be the only eay to see this movie in all it's glory. While framed at 1.85, it's clear that this was hard-matted so the FF is a hacked to shit pan and scan job. Although not mentioned anywhere on the cover, it is an anamorphic transfer and looked perfect on my set. There is also a new 5.1 soundtrack on this set. I haven't checked that out yet as I had to listen to Abel's commentray.
Anyone who's heard his comm. on Driller Killer knows that homeboy has some issues/problems/etc.
He seems to be in a bit better shape here, but far from out of the woods. One of his first comments is "they gave me $5,000 to do this" and sounded pissed off he had to. You can also constantly hear him tipping the bottle while he sometimes makes sense and sometimes doesn't. There is an uncredited voice in the background asking questions which keeps this track moving along by keeping Abel awake and talking. Not the total train wreck I expected. It really is baffling that this guy made some amazing movies, but he just comes off as some aloof junkie when you hear him talk. In a way it's sad, but in another way it's amusing. (I think it was on this site in a thread about best/worst commentaries ever, someone gave Abel both for Driller Killer and I couldn't agree more!)

"A short Film about the Long Career of Abel Ferrera" is also on disc one. This is a 47 minute doc. featuring almost everyone Abel used to work with, but no word or pics of Abel himself. It was O.K., but I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

Disc 2 has the better doc. "The Adventures of Schooly D: Snowboarder". For those who don't know, Schooly School was one of the pioneers of "gangsta" rap who has went on to scoring films. He's been the score of almost all Abel's movies since KONY. This doc. I found really interesting, well the whole Schooly interview part. It kinda broke in parts. It starts with some white dude from Vibe talking about gangsta rap with really annoying editing. Then it switches to the Schooly segment for the bulk of the 42 minutes, although it does go back for a few painfull minutes to the dork.
Schooly's video for "King Of New York", the trailer and tv spots round up the extras on this disc. There is also a second comm. track with the crew I plan to check out soon. I already get the feeling that their recollection on events in the making of this film will differ from Abel's, who sounded hostile and just seemed to want to prove the un-known voice wrong on his comm. track
For example:
Voice - so here the actors were improvising right, I've read and heard everywhere that this scene was improv.
Abel - Fuck that, all that shit was written. You can't improv shit like that. That was all me and Nick (writer Nicholas St. John, missing from all extra content but highly defended by Abel, who is only on the one comm. track).

If you've never seen this movie, you owe it to yourself to check it out. The new dvd is everywhere, and is only $10 + change at deepdiscountdvd. Here's the cover:
http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/586037h.jpg
http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/586037bh.jpg

There is a sticker on the front saying "Limited Edition / 2 disc set". Not sure just how limited that means, or if it's just the outer cover that's limited ala' Reservoir Dogs. But for just over $10, this dvd should find it's way into everyone's collection.

Hellbilly
04-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the great review Bigdaddy. I haven't seen this film in ages so I'm picking this baby up as soon as possible.

bigdaddyhorse
04-21-2004, 09:06 PM
I was just eatin' lunch and watching "Cops" on cable, and saw a commercial for this set. The commercial said the packaging is limited. Nice to see some promotion. I probably would've rolled out to get had I not seen it in the store yesterday.

poorlogic
04-22-2004, 01:38 AM
Killer review bigdaddyhorse, I'm going to pick this tonight!

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-22-2004, 03:56 AM
Great review for an outstanding movie BigDaddy!

I am really looking forward to replacing my old Laserdisc with this great sounding 2 disc set. I will be picking it up on my next DDD order.

BloodMan
04-22-2004, 04:09 AM
I love this movie! Walken is the man! Will look for this next time I am out and about.

Hellbilly
04-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Bought me a copy today, giving this a spin tonite or tomorrow :)

SaviniFan
04-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Chalk me up as another fan of this movie. I really like both Walken and Fishburn's performances in this one. The ending is quite cool too. You chicken eatin' mutha fuckas!

bigdaddyhorse
04-26-2004, 06:29 PM
I watched about the first hour of the second comm. yesterday. It was just O.K.
I find it amusing that Abel talks more on his track than 4 others do on the this track. If it wasn't for long winded and tightest friend of Abel's (at least of the 4), composer Joe Delia, there would be even more dead space than there is. Joe almost sounds like Abel, so he probably does whatever drugs with him which explains the bonding. :D

It did differ from Abel's recollection as producer Mary Kane kept saying scenes and lines were improved by the actors.
Most interesting point brought up during said comm.
Fishbourne was originally gonna have Carusso's role, and vice-versa. But Larry came to audition in costume as Jump and instantly got the part! I doubt the movie would've worked as well had these roles been reversed (Caruso as a gang leader? Nigga please!).
After about an hour I was pretty bored with this comm. so I stopped. Still an awesome dvd that gets my highest rating based on the strength of the film itself. The extras are nice, but the movie is where it's at!

On a side note, my old single disc just sold on dvdempire! :banana: :banana: :banana:

ckywrx666
05-04-2004, 01:57 AM
after reading your review ..i went out and bought it..cool flick.. ya have to love walken....

thrashard76
05-04-2004, 11:21 AM
A co-worker of mine said this was a good movie, so I may do the deed when in eyesight of it once again.

John Gargo
05-09-2004, 07:50 PM
I highly recommend that fans of this movie check out Abel Ferrara's BAD LIEUTENANT, which he directed two years after. It's much more disturbing and packs a bigger punch (assuming that you see the NC-17 rated version) and features a brilliant performance by Harvey Keitel in the title role. I'd say it's his best film, with KING OF NEW YORK coming in second.

indiephantom
05-09-2004, 07:56 PM
I highly recommend that fans of this movie check out Abel Ferrara's BAD LIEUTENANT, which he directed two years after. It's much more disturbing and packs a bigger punch (assuming that you see the NC-17 rated version) and features a brilliant performance by Harvey Keitel in the title role. I'd say it's his best film, with KING OF NEW YORK coming in second.

certainly stands as my favorite. Let's not forget that people on this forum will no doubt appreciate The Addiction, Ms. 45, The Driller Killer, and Body Snatchers for obvious reasons.

John Gargo
05-09-2004, 08:03 PM
certainly stands as my favorite. Let's not forget that people on this forum will no doubt appreciate The Addiction, Ms. 45, The Driller Killer, and Body Snatchers for obvious reasons.
Indeed.... I'm looking forward to the upcoming (I believe limited edition) 2-disc treatment that Cult Epics is giving DRILLER KILLER... That's certainly going to be a must-buy for me this summer!

Lyle Horowitz
05-09-2004, 09:15 PM
Hopefully Ms. 45 gets re-issued. It's OOP, right? Well, DVDAF says it's OOP.

I've only seen Bad Lieutenant, which is so sick and depraved that I HAVE to see all of Ferrera's films now. I own Bad Lieutenant, and I plan on buying King of New York 2-Disc SE, Driller Killer 2-Disc SE, and Ms. 45. Not sure about 'R Xmas, Body Snatchers, or The Addiction, though. Anyone ever see those?

John Gargo
05-09-2004, 10:38 PM
'R Xmas?
Definitely skip it... it feels like almost half a movie and moves at a maddeningly slow pace, with Ferrera lingering pointlessly on shots of people driving in cars and doing other uninteresting things... I was very disappointed, but I hear that the commentary track is rather good from other Ferrera enthusiasts... I'm surprised that he must have a lot of things to say, because you wouldn't know that from just watching the movie.