PDA

View Full Version : Review: Campbell's Chunky Soup: Beef Sirloin

Lyle Horowitz
04-25-2004, 07:30 AM
*** (of *****)

Chunky, yes, but what it has in chunkiness it doesn't have in flavor. Overall, another worthy addition to my bowels, but as a whole, could be better.

RyanPC
04-25-2004, 08:16 AM
I actually didn't think this film was scary at all, but some may think so because of how horrible it is.

Lyle Horowitz
04-25-2004, 08:19 AM
I actually didn't think this film was scary at all, but some may think so because of how horrible it is.
I was referring to Campbell's Chunky Soup. This is not a movie review. Look elsewhere.

Grim
04-25-2004, 04:05 PM
I've always been a ramen noodles guy myself, also those canned raviolis, I can't get enough of them.

Mattster
04-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Here's a question. Ramen noodles in a bag or in a cup? I can't stand the bricks you have to boil. They taste like rubber. The noodles in a cup rock though.

Grim
04-25-2004, 04:42 PM
I usually have it in the bag, they're cheaper and its what my mom usually gets. But hey, I would definitely go for them in the cup too.

mutleyhyde
04-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Here's a question. Ramen noodles in a bag or in a cup? I can't stand the bricks you have to boil. They taste like rubber. The noodles in a cup rock though.

No fuckin' way man, the cup blows! The soup base tastes wretched, and the noodles end up too damn springy, causing the unsuspecting fried noodle epicurean to fling boiling hot droplets of the soup in every direction, including their own face, as well as others', causing severe pain and injuries!

It's the brick or nothing for me! Much better noodle texture, and you can doctor it up any way you like (they don't leave you any room in the cup for any doctoring - bah!).

You're wrong Matt, so wrong. :p

As for Chunky, I used to dig it back when I was younger, and it's still okay, as far as the chicken offerings go anyway (I know what you mean here Lyle, the beef just ain't quite beef), but if I go for canned soup these days, it's Progresso.

One more word on the noodles though, y'all that dig ramen, do yourselves a huge favor and hit a Vietnamese or Thai joint, and get some real shit. Neither the cup nor the brick can compare.

p.s., and just what the hell are you smokin', Ryan? ;)

Lyle Horowitz
04-25-2004, 06:44 PM
I prefer them in the cup, Cup Noodles, because they are easier to prepare. ***1/2 (of *****)

betterdan
04-25-2004, 11:11 PM
I like the brick style. Sometimes I mix in some butter and sour cream and eat them on a tortilla. As for Campbell's soup I always like bean and bacon with a ton of crackers.

drown021
05-02-2004, 02:03 AM
I've never had them in a cup because I can't afford them.The bag ones are like 5 for a buck.**/*****

Actually my cheap cheap cheap favorite food is golden grain mac-n-cheese,usually 49 cents a box. ****/*****

Tom Servo
05-03-2004, 05:04 PM
Cambell's Chunky Soup and Ramen noodles (in any form) are both great if you are lazy and want a fast meal. It wasn't too many years ago that I basically lived off Ramen noodles. In regards to the whole brick vs. cup debate I always favored the cup because it was faster and cleanup was easy. It iseasier to cleap one spoon than it is to clean a bowl and spoon. If I happened to have a plastic spoon I was sitting pretty.

In the end all that really matters is a fast meal that fills up the stomach with something resembling food.

Luna
12-30-2004, 07:41 PM
How the hell did I miss this first time around?

I prefer ramen in a brick. My only stipulation? It has to be something like Nong Shim or another good brand you get at an Asian market. These usually come with a packet of oil and usually 3 or even 4 packets of things to put in your soup. I usually skip putting the red pepper packet in though. There's a brand that comes with a square of fried bean curd, but I can't remember it. All I know is it's a white packet with blue and yellow design. I do like the others like Maruchan and Top Ramen, but I don't consider those to be as authentic. :)

http://daveola.com/Pages/Ramen/Reviews.html

I also love the fresh Udon noodles that are vacuum packed in plastic. I'm sure fresher ones are even better, but these are delicious anyway.

As far as Chunky Soup goes, my favorite, hands down, is New England Clam Chowder.

Grim
12-30-2004, 08:27 PM
Something I've been doing as of late is using the ramen noodles for spaghetti. They're ready so much faster than regular spaghetti noodles that I just had to try it. I just boil the noodles, toss the seasoning packet, and add the noodles to some spaghetti sauce and presto! Ramen Spaghetti.

betterdan
12-31-2004, 04:11 AM
Getting ready for college life already Grim? ;)

rhett
12-31-2004, 04:40 AM

I prefer ramen in a brick. My only stipulation? It has to be something like Nong Shim or another good brand you get at an Asian market. These usually come with a packet of oil and usually 3 or even 4 packets of things to put in your soup. I usually skip putting the red pepper packet in though. There's a brand that comes with a square of fried bean curd, but I can't remember it. All I know is it's a white packet with blue and yellow design. I do like the others like Maruchan and Top Ramen, but I don't consider those to be as authentic. :)

http://daveola.com/Pages/Ramen/Reviews.html

I also love the fresh Udon noodles that are vacuum packed in plastic. I'm sure fresher ones are even better, but these are delicious anyway.

As far as Chunky Soup goes, my favorite, hands down, is New England Clam Chowder.
Chef Luna speaks again. Excellent!

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/senior/fruits/images/small/cherry.jpg

betterdan
12-31-2004, 05:11 AM
Can you put those cherries on your feet?

Luna
12-31-2004, 05:28 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Grim
12-31-2004, 07:33 PM
Getting ready for college life already Grim? ;)
:lol:

life_o_petey
12-31-2004, 09:15 PM
i just dry heaved at the thought of ramen spaghetti. this thread belongs in freaks & geeks.

Damage
01-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Well, in the great brick versus cup debate, I'll have to side with brick. Although Tom Servo makes an excellent point, your clean-up efforts indeed DOUBLE when you cook brick-style noodles, but it's something you have do decide for yourself: Do I want to have superior noodles or the gift of extra time? Life's a choice. If it weren't for Ramen noodles and K.D., I would have starved during college.

Nemesis
01-01-2005, 05:51 AM
do you guys have 2 minute noodles over there?? how do you all have them?

i normally boil them with about 3/4 of the flavouring.. then i strain ALL the water out and pour the last of the flavour powder over them mix it up and enjoy :)

also its very important you dont over cook them,.. i prefer under cooked than over cooked.. soggy noodles = blargh.. i also tend to eat a lot at a time.. i think my record is around 6 packets at once... yes i'm a pig ;)

betterdan
01-01-2005, 06:26 AM
I boil the noodles till done (again DO NOT overcook them blech) then I drain all the water off and then stir in the flavor from the pouches sometimes with butter. I usually eat 2 packs of ramen noodles at a time.

Nemesis
01-01-2005, 06:54 AM
ah ramen must be your normal brand of 2 minute noodles over there i'm guessing :p

never thought of adding butter.. do you add the butter AND the flavour? or just one or the other?

moogong
01-01-2005, 05:10 PM

I prefer ramen in a brick. My only stipulation? It has to be something like Nong Shim or another good brand you get at an Asian market.

I am with you on the Nong Shim! My usual breakfast consists of an EAS protein shake and a kim chi bowl...I never grow tired of it. A local asian market sells me a case of 30 bowls for $26...not a bad deal.

betterdan
01-01-2005, 05:13 PM
never thought of adding butter.. do you add the butter AND the flavour? or just one or the other?
Yep butter and the flavor. Sour cream is good on them too :)

Nemesis
01-02-2005, 02:49 AM
thgat EAS protein shake must set you back a pretty penny