PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of the Vampire - Release Date ?

landrvr
12-28-2000, 02:59 AM
hey jason25, this friday, december 29th in select cities...

fishhead
12-28-2000, 03:16 AM
Those select cities are just 2: LA and NY...

Happily I live near one and will be making a drive downtown to see it. This looks like a good one.

------------------
"You know the rules, when we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
"Oh, I get it, just in case we kill lots of innocent people."
Frank and Ozzy, Bad Taste

landrvr
12-28-2000, 04:12 AM
jan 19th: sees a more extensive release.

jan 26th: it goes worldwide.

Jason25
12-28-2000, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the information !

Fishhead, Let me know what you think of the movie. It sucks living in a small town waiting for the new release to hit smaller markets.

Jason25
12-28-2000, 06:55 AM
I've been waiting to see this movie for about a year now. Does anyone know when it is going to be released? I saw a trailer for this movie many months ago and have been eagerly waiting to see it. It looks like it could be an excellent film.

fishhead
12-31-2000, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by landrvr:
"At once wildly metaphorical and distressingly literal-minded"

I think the critics are just whining because the ending leaves them without any sort of ambiguity on which they can weave layer after layer of symbolical bullshit.

Anyway, we can easily ignore any sorts of wildly metaphorical imagery we might encounter and just sit back and enjoy the movie.

I saw it today and it is very, very good. The beginning is a bit slow, and the end a bit rushed, but it is wildly entertaining. It goes from fall-on-the-floor funny to disturbingly brutal in moments. I like that combination, but I could tell that my fellow viewers may have felt differently http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

William Dafoe is perfect in the role of Schrek/Orlok. He is a wonderfully creepy looking vampire and his 'actings' are just too funny.

I don't know how much to say without giving away spoilers, so I'll just say that I highly recommend this movie. I'll be seeing it again when it gets a wider release, that's for sure. And it will definitely be ending up in my DVD collection.

Great movie http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif

------------------
"You know the rules, when we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
"Oh, I get it, just in case we kill lots of innocent people."
Frank and Ozzy, Bad Taste

landrvr
12-31-2000, 06:49 AM
the new york times has a review for Shadow of the Vampire up on it's website.

like many NY Times film reviews, you are left wondering exactly what overall point the reviewer is trying to make about the film. and you have to suffer through bits of writing like this:

"At once wildly metaphorical and distressingly literal-minded"

o------kay.

still, it sounds very intriguing and i can't wait until it hits chicago.

jae
01-04-2001, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by DeepDownTraumaHound:
I saw the film over the weekend and really liked it. I agree though, there seems a bit of a rush to end the film. It seems to me it is missing some parts. who knows? maybe it was cut down? not enough was focused upon in certain areas. i recommend it because as a whole it is really good.

I don't remember where I heard it but I read somewhere that the movie was SEVERELY cut down. Like say an hour was cut out of the movie to bring it down to 1 1/2 hours. Apparently because someone involved thought that a 2/2+ hour movie was too long for the audiences of today and their short attention spans. That really sucks and hope the longer version comes out on DVD.

[This message has been edited by jae (edited 01-04-2001).]

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-05-2001, 06:09 AM
I saw the film over the weekend and really liked it. I agree though, there seems a bit of a rush to end the film. It seems to me it is missing some parts. who knows? maybe it was cut down? not enough was focused upon in certain areas. i recommend it because as a whole it is really good.

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

Lindane
01-12-2001, 09:59 AM
Man Im pissin' my pants waiting for this to come out!! Can anybody whos seen it tell me how it compares to Begotten? Hows the directing? It just sucks to know that its been playing in "select theatres" and wont come out worldwide for another 2 weeks.