PDA

View Full Version : Your Rotten Lasers

MISFITZ
04-30-2004, 12:49 AM
Ahhhh...

Where else can i go where i find laser loverz like myself who also have a thang for horror! ahahah! Been a while since my last post, but i was thinking...

we should post some titles of disc that we have that are rotten. i mean, i'm willing to bet a lot of us have a HUGE laser collection and it's hard to see which ones are or could be rotting unless we actually CHECK!!

I hadn't watched HEAVY METAL on laser in a long time. A buddy of mine was lusting over my laser stash and wanted to see how 'good they actually look'. He grabbed my HEAVY METAL disc....

HOW EMBARASSING!!!!! :o IT WAS ROTTEN!!!

It is real bad too!! Like almost unwatchable. It actually clears up after 15 minutes but still shows traces of it. It was a shock and i had no idea this could happen to me in my house. ahahaha!

AS FAR AS I KNOW... these DISCS have rotted on me....

THE FUGITIVE - Harrison Ford

HEAVY METAL - silver package

What are some of yours so i can check mine?? :cry:

mcchrist
04-30-2004, 01:19 AM
The only lasers that crapped out on me were my ancient discovisions, but there's no big surprise there from what I understand.

I still have my Jaws discovision for curiosity value. The rot is so bad the disc has become a pale green-yellow with very little silver left on it. It's astounding, really, the only way you can tell it was a laser is if you examine it closely with a magnifying glass to see what shred remains on the damn thing.

Fitz, where the hell have you been?

Dave
04-30-2004, 01:22 AM
No rotters here, but my collection is under 100 discs.

jscott
04-30-2004, 01:26 AM
Only a few on my end. The Cable Guy, disc two of Ed Wood, and The Usual Suspects (but that was a freebie from a very generous mod). My Roan Blood & Black Lace has a very speckle-filled transfer, but as far as I can tell, that's on the transfer itself (you never see speckles in the matte bars).

ekent
04-30-2004, 02:19 AM
Side 4 of my CAV Return of the Jedi has light speckling. Not that bad but just noticable to PISS ME THE FUCK OFF!

My Michael Jackson's Making of Thriller LD has light speckling throughout.

wizzer
04-30-2004, 02:23 AM
i was going to chime in with The Fugitive. i have student bodies on ld and its pretty fucked up in places but its really old.

Atmims
04-30-2004, 05:01 AM
My Heavy Metal LD was one that was rotted. I don't remember the rest, there were a couple so I just got discouraged and sold them all.

Paff
04-30-2004, 08:39 AM
The Fugitive is one of the first LDs I bought, and it still works fine.

However, I do have a lot of discs with rot. My worst label is AD Vision, every single ADV title I have is rotted: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Blue Seed, Burn Up W

Don't know if this counts, but I borrowed a friend's copy of Tommy, and that was pretty rotted.

Other rotted titles?

Seven (Criterion) (The only side with rot is the one with the extras not on the DVD. Grrrrrr)
Quiz Show
Freebie and the Bean

OK, maybe I don't have that many, that's all I can think of right now.

laserdogg
04-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Out of about 1,400 LDs I've had a handful go south -

Sword and the Sorcerer - side 2 is trash
I'ts a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World - side 2 trashed (this is the old CBS/Fox pressing)
Beatles: Let It Be - Side 1 mild speckling and very mild audio distortion
Unforgiven (Eastwood) Side 1 & 2 mild speckling throughout

There are more, but it's been ages since I even thought about LDs

The known rot issues Sony had for years caused me to be on the lookout for the notorious LDVS mint mark (and its variations) for used discs and I plain refused to buy most Columbia titles unless I heard they were pressed by other facilities. Men in Black & Fifth Element were also pressed by Pioneer Japan (if I remember correctly) and they are fabulous discs. I've been lucky with other titles, my Starship Troopers is still perfect...........

Probably time to scan the known rotters again, been awhile :cry:

Zodiac-Mindwarp
04-30-2004, 11:39 PM
I have about 400 Laser's, most of which have not been watched for years, if at all. I have Heavy Metal, The Usual Suspects, Return Of The Jedi and The Sword And The Sorcerer. I should probably take the time to check and see if these are rotted.

Is there a more complete list of known "likely to rot" discs anywhere?

dayglo
05-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Being completely ignorant of laserdiscs, can someone explain what exactly happens, and the causes of disc rot?

Just curious. :)

Deus Ex Machina
05-01-2004, 12:39 AM
...and are there any pictures?

I only have three discs in my collection and I'm keeping them until I can get them transferred to a DVD-R or something.

Paff
05-01-2004, 01:27 AM
I think Laserdogg is even more up on LD than me, so he might offer the best explanation.

But from what I've heard, Laser Rot is the result of a manufacturing defect, which causes the reflective material inside to separate (LDs have 2 sides) or something like that. While things like temperature, storage, and humidity have an effect on rot, some discs will rot no matter what.

As mentioned above, discs from Sony and Columbia/Tri-Star were the worst offenders. Warner Brothers discs could be prone to rot too. The bad news is that rot is permanent, and inevitable on certain discs. The good news is that if you don't have rot on any discs now, you probably never will.

As for what rot looks like, it usually begins as white speckles all over. It gets worse, turning into colored speckles, although I've never seen it past the white speckles stage. It will begin at either the beginning or end of a side. When you want to check a LD for rot, pop it in, watch the beginning, jump to the end of the side, flip the disc, and repeat.
Another tell-tale sign that what you have is rot, and not just a bad transfer, is that rot affects the ENTIRE picture, including the black bars of the letterboxed portion. If you have crap in the actual picture, but the letterboxed area looks fine, it's just a bad mastering job, not a bad Laserdisc.

Rot has nothing to do with age. I have discs pressed in the 80s that still look fine. But I've seen a lot of rot on late 90s titles like The Shawshank Redemption, Eraser, First Knight, The Craft, The Usual Suspects, The Professional, etc.

I love laser, and will hold onto it as long as I can, but there's some times ya just gotta get the DVD

Deus Ex Machina
05-01-2004, 02:11 AM
As long as there's no problems with:

Industrial Symphony #1
Evil Dead 2 (the regular, non red disc)
Seven (Criterion)

indiephantom
05-04-2004, 12:22 AM
haven't watched many recently, because it has become such a damn agonizing experience. The last ones I checked that were rotting were CRASH Criterion (an amazing disc otherwise) and my TWIN PEAKS vol. 2 titles were just showing the early signs. They'll get worse, no doubt.

I had lost SIESTA and NEAR DARK to rot a few years back. It really sucks hard. :cry:

Paff
05-04-2004, 07:01 PM
As long as there's no problems with:

Seven (Criterion)

Not to piss on your parade, but that is one of the discs that has rotted on me. The last side, with the outtakes. In other words, the only material not ported over to the DVD. (Although I haven't listened to the commentary yet...is it different than the DVD?)

I just got my Big Emma shipment, and one of the discs, High Risk with Jet Li has some rot near the end. I'm a little PO'd, but it's not like it's one of my favorite movies, and I think it only cost me 5 bucks anyway.

laserdogg
05-09-2004, 06:13 PM
I think Laserdogg is even more up on LD than me, so he might offer the best explanation.

I love laser, and will hold onto it as long as I can, but there's some times ya just gotta get the DVD

Your explanation is perfect - I'ts obvious that you know your stuff, no doubt about that!

I'm pretty fond of LD as well, even with it's problems. Sometimes that "big" jacket art or gatefold for a favorite title is worth the 5 or 10 bucks (or more :-o)

One thing I don't do right is the use of those Chicago One-Stop vinyl LD protectors - I know the poly sleeves are "safe" for long term storage, but I haven't had a significant number of jackets/discs affected by it.

Deus Ex Machina
05-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Not to piss on your parade, but that is one of the discs that has rotted on me. The last side, with the outtakes. In other words, the only material not ported over to the DVD. (Although I haven't listened to the commentary yet...is it different than the DVD?)

Luckily my discs still look pristine....plus I have all the material recorded onto VHS.

As far as the commentary, I'm not sure...I have yet to watch the DVD.

laserdogg
05-09-2004, 07:03 PM
I have about 400 Laser's, most of which have not been watched for years, if at all. I have Heavy Metal, The Usual Suspects, Return Of The Jedi and The Sword And The Sorcerer. I should probably take the time to check and see if these are rotted.

Is there a more complete list of known "likely to rot" discs anywhere?

This list hasn't been updated in a few years but does list a lot of titles known to have rot problems.

Hope the list doesn't scare the LD newbies :evil:

Rotten Bastards! (http://www.thadlabs.com/LD_info/rotlist.txt)

Also, this is an excellent site for LD fans who want a place to maintain a list and see what else is out there on laserdisc. It's a work in progress and the admin is very passionate about laserdisc.

The Laserdisc Database (http://www.lddb.com)

There's still a lot of info out there that can be found with a Google search.

Zodiac-Mindwarp
05-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks much for the info Laserdogg.

Looks like I have about 30 titles on the "rot" list. I should probably make it a point to give some of them a watch in the near future, and see if they are still viewable or not.

Thanks again.

bigdaddyhorse
05-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the list LD.
I have a few on there, but haven't noticed any rotting on them yet.
Halloween Criterion is the only one I care about, but i just watched some of the extras this weekend and it was fine.
The couple others I have on the list.
Fear Of A Black Hat, looked fine last time I played it, but now I have the dvd. Keeping the laser for the original artwork and better sound than the dvd (which is a direct port of the picture as well, but 2.0 sounds better coming from laser than dvd) :fuck:
Predator 2, kinda stuck with since dvd came out.
War of the Roses, haven't watched in forever, will probably get the cheap dvd anyway.

Yowie
05-19-2004, 01:42 PM
My nice Val Lewton boxset from Image has started to rot, luckily Warner will bring them all out next year.

sumo8675309
05-21-2004, 08:06 AM
so does this also happen to dvd's and cd's or only lazerdisc ????

X-human
05-30-2004, 01:56 AM
Cool link Laserdogg, I think it's a bit better than what I've been using to list my titles.

so does this also happen to dvd's and cd's or only lazerdisc ????

It can and I think in some cases CD's have. It's hard to say at the moment because it may simply be from abuse, but reports are starting to roll in that CD's with discoloration with sound drop outs.