PDA

View Full Version : Inferno?

jae
07-28-2001, 09:46 PM
I would like to know if I should pick up Inferno.. Now let me first say that I hate Argento.. I've seen maybe 6 of his movies and the only one that I could stand was Deep Red. I thought Suspiria was terrible.. Anyways I've heard that Inferno is a bit more 'coherent' than Suspiria and it has another big plus in that Mario Bava worked on it (I LOVE Bava.. Theres only 1 of his movies that I didn't like). I saw a few pictures of Inferno and they looked great so I thought I would ask..

What do you think about Inferno? Is it worth picking up? Is the storyline decent? How about the score?

Thanks..

And please, if you're thinking of flaming me because I don't like Argento, just let it pass. We all have our opinions.

skinnypuppy6
07-28-2001, 09:58 PM
rent it first or you could buy it I have friend who hates argentos films but he liked inferno!

crank
07-28-2001, 10:01 PM
If you didn't like Suspiria, you are probably not going to dig Inferno. The story is so non-linear as to almost appear non-existant without close observation. Argento revels in every one of his stylistic flouroshes, and if your not into his vision, the movie can really drag. I loved it, but I'm a huge Argento fan. Most of my not so Argento loving friends found the movie to be boring and poorly made. I'd definatly rent it first.

crank

jae
07-28-2001, 10:10 PM
Well I can appreciate Argento's vision. I thought the opening and ending of Suspiria were terrific and the Goblin score (I still haven't forgotten the main theme from Deep Red or Suspiria) and his use of color but the silliness of the middle just didn't sit well with me.. I tried watching it again and could only make it to the point where the ballerinas start sticking their tongues out at each other. I just found it all childish.

Can you or anyone tell me if that type of thing is toned down in Inferno? I'll see if I can rent it although I don't find alot of his stuff in video stores around here and I don't have a membership to any rental sites now. Thanks.

Originally posted by crank
If you didn't like Suspiria, you are probably not going to dig Inferno. The story is so non-linear as to almost appear non-existant without close observation. Argento revels in every one of his stylistic flouroshes, and if your not into his vision, the movie can really drag. I loved it, but I'm a huge Argento fan. Most of my not so Argento loving friends found the movie to be boring and poorly made. I'd definatly rent it first.

crank

napalm68
07-28-2001, 11:47 PM
Not to mention the Keith Emerson score sucks beyond belief.

crank
07-29-2001, 12:12 AM
Luckily the childish aspects to Suspiria are not nearly as present in Inferno. That has to be the one major point that Inferno wins on. I don't know if Suspiria lost alot in the translation or what, but I will admit that alot of that dialoge between the girls in the school is pretty bad.

crank

Zombie Keeper
07-29-2001, 05:59 PM
If you dislike Argento's work and hate Suspiria, you'll loathe Inferno. I think it's one of his worst films.

Hellbilly
07-29-2001, 06:36 PM
my nephew hated inferno, i liked it except for the weak ending.

AceRimRat
07-30-2001, 05:08 AM
I didn't much care for Inferno upon repeated viewings. It's got some terrific setpieces and some nifty scares and stuff, but it's just incoherent and a little less energetic than a lot of Argento's other stuff. IMO.

(As a comparison, I like Deep Red and Phenomena and Tenebre. And I didn't like Stendhal. And nobody liked Phantom. :D )

ScaryMovieFreak
07-30-2001, 02:07 PM
Well. I am definately not an Argento fan. Both Suspiria and Inferno put me to sleep. Those are his only two movies I have seen. I tend to stick with Fulci movies. But that's just me. Though when I look back on it, Inferno had more going on during the middle, but it just wasn't enough for me to really like the movie. Though I may give it another viewing to see if my opinion on it will change. They are playing an Argento double feature on Wednesday night this week, they are starting with it "The Stendhal Syndrome" or however you spell it, and the second one is "Trauma." I plan on checking those out, and if I like them I'll start giving Argento more chances.

But anyways, if you aren't an Argento fan, you probably won't like Inferno. But you'll never know until you see it. But if you are going to see it I recommend renting it first.

jae
07-30-2001, 03:06 PM
I Haaaated Phenomena.. Wow that was a bad movie. :)

Originally posted by AceRimRat
I didn't much care for Inferno upon repeated viewings. It's got some terrific setpieces and some nifty scares and stuff, but it's just incoherent and a little less energetic than a lot of Argento's other stuff. IMO.

(As a comparison, I like Deep Red and Phenomena and Tenebre. And I didn't like Stendhal. And nobody liked Phantom. :D )

Hellbilly
07-30-2001, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by jae
I Haaaated Phenomena.. Wow that was a bad movie. :)

Phenomena is by far one of the best Argento Movies ever. How can anybody not like the lovely Jennifer Connelly? and that cute little Chimp? Do u got a heart of stone Jae??????

jae
07-30-2001, 04:37 PM
Oh I love Jennifer Connelly.. Her presence doesn't make me like a crappy movie though. I just can't appreciate seeing the lovely Jennifer Connelly jump in a pool of filth filled with severed body parts and maggots, telepathic flies and monkeys and a whacked out deformed kid eaten alive by flies. AWFUL! Only thing good about it was Jennifer and Donald Pleasance.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HellbillyDeluxe
Phenomena is by far one of the best Argento Movies ever. How can anybody not like the lovely Jennifer Connelly? and that cute little Chimp? Do u got a heart of stone Jae?????? [/QUOTE

Andrew
07-30-2001, 07:02 PM
I didn't like Phenomena that much either. Sure, I liked it alright, and Jennifer Connelly is as hot as they come, but I just thought parts of it were kind of stupid.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Argento. Deep Red, Suspiria, Tenebre, and Bird with the Crystal Plumage are my faves though.

Hellbilly
07-30-2001, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by jae
Oh I love Jennifer Connelly.. Her presence doesn't make me like a crappy movie though. I just can't appreciate seeing the lovely Jennifer Connelly jump in a pool of filth filled with severed body parts and maggots, telepathic flies and monkeys and a whacked out deformed kid eaten alive by flies. AWFUL! Only thing good about it was Jennifer and Donald Pleasance.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HellbillyDeluxe
Phenomena is by far one of the best Argento Movies ever. How can anybody not like the lovely Jennifer Connelly? and that cute little Chimp? Do u got a heart of stone Jae?????? [/QUOTE

i know, i know, i was just messin' with ya! yeah! but i must say, by the way you write about this film just made me realize how cool this flick really is! here are your words: "lovely Jennifer Connelly jumps in a pool of filth with severed body parts & maggots!" "telepathic flies and Monkeys!" "a whacked out deformed kid eaten alive by flies!" doesent this sound cool or what?

NickyDoyle
07-30-2001, 08:36 PM
my nephew hated inferno, i liked it except for the weak ending.

Actually, I thought the endings was one of the best ever, thanks to the special effects help of one Mario Bava (you guys know which one I'm talking about). Inferno is a very slow movie, and at first I hated it, but after getting over the fact that there is, literally, no story at all, you'll like it. The colors and some of the set pieces are marvelous. I agrre with the opinions of the score, it does kinda suck when compared to some of Argento's other works.

napalm68
08-02-2001, 12:07 AM
I think I'd have to agree with Hellbilly - sounds cool to me:)