PDA

View Full Version : Fraco's Jack the Ripper

crank
07-28-2001, 10:14 PM
Whatever happened to Elite's release of Jess Franco's Jack the Ripper. I read forever that it was "coming soon" and then it seemed to disapear from the public mind. I got on Elite's website and emailed them around a month ago inquiring about this, and I never got a reply.

crank

napalm68
07-28-2001, 11:48 PM
Maybe they are holding off the release to cash in with From Hell

bruce h
07-29-2001, 05:32 PM
The Elite DVD was dropped after most people cancelled their preorders - due to the fact that a Swiss DVD was announced that was rumored to be completely uncut, transferred from the original negative with a stills gallery and commentary by Franco and Lina Romay. The Swiss DVD still hasn't come out :)

I personally think it was announced early to discourage anyone from buying the US version, and it looks like it worked. Still, i've seen some clips of the remastered Swiss version, and it's going to be a phenomenal DVD.

If you can't wait the budget DVD label Platinum released Jack The Ripper here in the States. I assume it's just transferred from the OOP Vestron release, check your local Circuit City.

crank
07-29-2001, 08:51 PM
I'm assuming that the swiss version is that company that touts themselves as "the only true Jess Franco collection". Have any of their titles come out. I've been on their website, and I don't think it's been updated since it went live.

crank

Jason25
07-29-2001, 09:39 PM
Too bad Elite didn't put their disc out. I know they are slow, but I really like my Elite discs.
Seems Elite really has fallen lately, guess they can't really compete with Anchor Bay and Image.

Andrew
07-29-2001, 09:53 PM
What was the last disc Elite put out? Eaten Alive? hehe...

I have their NOTLD and Evil Dead discs. Both are among my favorite discs.

AceRimRat
07-30-2001, 05:03 AM
OK, I've been waiting what feels like FOREVER for one of these darn discs. This movie is one of my big favorite guilty-pleasure kind of films.

Here's what I know:

According to Vini from Elite, their disc is definitely off.

The guys at the Euro "Jess Franco" official site say their disc is still coming, and they'll announce the date ("soon") on their Web site, which still, I might point out, says coming Q4 2000. Though they've been quite prompt and polite in replying to my (repeated) inquiries, they keep saying the disc is coming soon without any definites. Which is why I keep bugging them, I'll admit.

My questions are for Bruce:

1. Where'd you see clips of this disc? All I've ever seen is the stuff on the site (stills, cover image) - I'd love to check it out if they're online.

2. What's this Platinum disc? I've never heard of them or seen them anywhere - I'd love to get my hands on one...

(Thanks in advance, dude.)

bruce h
08-03-2001, 01:10 AM
the company who's doing the restoring of the negative posted some framegrabs at their site. check out Marc Morris' Mondo Erotico site for more details.

Platinum is a cheapo budget label who released other "treasures" as Satan's School for Girls and Piranha (not the Dante one, this one has William Smith). you can pick up their stuff at Best Buy or Circuit City