PDA

View Full Version : Laserdiscs that haven't hit DVD yet?

Dave
07-29-2001, 03:54 AM
I could have sworn there was a list we all compiled that contained some of the many horror movies - mainly past movies prior to DVD's birth - that have been released to laserdisc and have not yet made their way to DVD. I can seem to find it, however, so I think it's time to create a new one. I'll get things started:

The Howling SE
Frigheners SE
BS Dracula SE
Silent Night, Dead Night
My Bloody Valentine
The Monster Squad
THEM
Return of the Living Dead Parts 1 and 2
Waxwork 1 and 2 (I hear 2 is on Jap. LD, never on domestic LD though)
The Shining TV miniseries (Jap. LD)

Keep it going, people! I'm glad to say that I just added My Bloody Valentine to my collection - won it off ebay for $43.00 (ouch).

Paff
07-29-2001, 05:20 AM
Damn. I only got $11 for my copy of My Bloody Valentine when I E-bayed it. If I sold it to you for $20, we both would have been happier...

Dave
07-29-2001, 07:38 AM
Heh heh. Well, that's the world of ebay. You get two people who want something and you can get screwed. :D

Added the Encyclopedia of Horror Jap. LD box set to that list. Think I may be buying that one too.

Werner Von Wallenrod
07-30-2001, 02:03 AM
I think the special edition of Texas Chainsaw Massacre III: Leatherface has yet to make it onto DVD, right?
Hmmm... I'm blanking.
The Making of Lifeforce and Invaders From Mars... Aliens, Dragons, Monsters & Me (documentary on Ray Harryhausen (sp?), that includes additional footage not available on the VHS (basically, the ending chapters)...
I dunno. DVDs are slowly closing the gaps...

Paff
07-30-2001, 02:23 AM
Well, if you include special edition and extra content, the list would be huge. But here's the stuff in my collection that I don't think is on DVD (at least not Region 1):

Two Evil Eyes
Trauma
The Fog
The Thing (51)
Phantasm 2
Phantasm 3
The People Under the Stairs
The Haunting (63)
Brides of Dracula
God Told Me To
Day of the Triffids
Kiki's Delivery Service
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Original Star Wars Trilogy
Back to the Future trilogy
Wait Until Dark
Mute Witness
Ed Wood
The Adventures of Ford Fairlane
The Stepfather
The Sure Thing

again, if I added special edition content (Jaws, 12 Monkeys, Escape From New York, Seven, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1&2), I could put another 20-30 movies on here. Hope my LD player(s) never conk out...

laserdogg
07-31-2001, 05:31 AM
Well, I was kinda bored and decided to sort through some of the lasers I have. While this list is far from complete maybe a forgotten title or two will surface. There are some stinkers in there but I rarely get rid of lasers. I left some of my SE lasers out (like the Frighteners sig. coll. box) because the movie has seen a release. Otherwise, there would be MANY more here! Also, I may include a few that have made it to DVD, I just didn't know it.

King Kong (1931)
Fly, The (1958)
Blob, The (1988)
976-Evil SE
Amityville 1992: It's About Time
Basket Case 3: The Progeny
Blades
Borrower, The
Cemetery Man
Company Of Wolves, The
Contagion
Dark Side of the Moon, The
Deadly Harvest
Deadtime Stories
Demonstone
Dolly Dearest
Eternal Evil
From Beyond
Gate, The
Graveyard Shift
Haunting Fear
Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth
Hideaway
I, Madman
Lift, The
Mausoleum
Monster Squad, The
Near Dark
Nightbreed
Pet Sematary 2
Phantasm II
Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead
Prison
Repossessed
Return of the Living Dead
Return of the Living Dead Part II
Runestone, The
Scarecrows
Silver Bullet
Soultaker
Spontaneous Combustion
Temp, The
Ticks
Watchers
Prison
Mangler, The
House III aka Horror Show, The
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Body Parts
Predator 2
Suspiria
Theater of Blood
Razorback
Dracula vs. Frankenstein
Howling, The SE
Leatherface:Texas Chainsaw Massacre III SE
Fog, The SE
Gamera The Giant Monster
Blood From The Mummy's Tomb
Scars Of Dracula, The
Dragonslayer
Legend
Beastmaster
Mysterious Island
Journey To The Center Of The Earth (1959)
Twilight Zone: The Movie
I Come In Peace
Buck Rogers In The 25th Century
Colossus: The Forbin Project
E.T.
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Return Of The Jedi
Lost In Space (TV)
Metropolis (Giorgio Moroder)
Robinson Crusoe On Mars
Silent Rage (Not bad Chuck Norris thriller)
Soylent Green
Time After Time

There are more, more, more, but I can't list everything!:)

Werner Von Wallenrod
07-31-2001, 05:48 AM
Actually, I'd also be pretty interested, and I imagine I'm not alone, in exploring lasers with good spec ed's that just go no frill, bare bone DVD releases, so if anyone wants to share, I, for one,'d appreciate it.

...I think God Told Me To IS out on DVD, actually...

Paff
07-31-2001, 08:26 PM
Well, when you go with difference in content (as opposed to just LDs that don't exist on DVD), you can go on almost forever. Not to mention little differences like Dazed and Confused (DVD has a weak 2.0 track, LD has a beautiful Dolby Pro-Logic PCM surround mix), or the EC Fulci discs (gorgeous gatefold sleeves), or even The Stendhal Syndrome (no damn Lloyd Kaufman intro).

Also, even if the original Star Wars movies come to DVD, it will most likely be the Special Editions from 1997. If you want the original films you first saw in the theaters (but with THX surround and remastered print), you have to go LD.

But here's a few from my collection that I believe are different than the DVDs:

Alien (Box Set) - lots of original photos and sketches
Boogie Nights (Criterion) - John Holmes documentary
Breakfast at Tiffany's (Box Set) - annotated Audrey Hepburn script
Chasing Amy - proper transfer
Dawn of the Dead (Box Set) - commentary + extras
Day of the Dead - Documentarys
Bram Stoker's Dracula (See new review)
Escape From New York - commentary
Evil Dead (Japanese) - still the best transfer
Evil Dead 2 - Red disc
Frighteners (Signature Edition) - NOT in my collection at this time
Halloween (Criterion) - commentary + extras
Heavenly Creatures - widescreen
Innocent Blood - widescreen
Jaws - Extended documentary
Logan's Run - tons of extras
Nightmare on Elm Street - (also not in my collection, but i think there's more extras)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Next - coffee table book
Romeo + Juliet (Dicaprio/Danes) - documentary
Seven (Criterion) - outtakes + bloopers
Silence of the Lambs (Criterion) - few more extras than the DVD
Supercop - deleted scenes
Texas Chainsaw Massacre - digitally cleaned up print not used for the DVD
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 - deleted scenes
Tomorrow Never Dies (and other Bond films) - proper burned-in subtitles, not electronic ones

There's obviously way more...

Dave
08-01-2001, 12:19 PM
Just secured my set of the Encyclopedia of Horror Jap. LD box. Looks fucking sweet. Can't wait to watch it. :D

laserdogg
08-02-2001, 01:36 AM
Saw one on eBay recently. Where did you get yours and how much? Let us know how it is.

Zimmer
08-06-2001, 11:27 PM
I saw that Dave mentioned the Shining Mini-Series Jap LD on this list. Has anyone ever seen one of these. I have been looking for it since the day it came out and have yet to see pictures or hear of someone owning it. Just Curious!

Alan Smithee
08-07-2001, 07:50 AM
Not really horror but what about the Indiana Jones trilogy?

Admin
08-07-2001, 02:34 PM
Ugh. Stupid Admin login. Oh well. This is Dave.

Zimmer - I'm probably going to be picking up that Japanese LD set of The Shining TV mini-series. I'm one of the few people that liked it. Not sure if it's better than Kubrick's, but what's most important to me is which is more faithful to the book. From what I hear, it's the TV version. I plan on reading the book soon, then I'll probably watch and review the Jap. LD. I can scan it in for you as soon as I get it.

Encyclopedia of Horror should be here by this weekend. Plan on reviewing that too, though I have a few DVDs to crank out first. Encyclopedia cost me about $110.

indiephantom
08-09-2001, 03:32 PM
Brian DePalma's BLOW OUT is not on DVD...but I think I heard it's going to be. I love my LD.

I didn't realize my DVD of TCM didn't have the restored print. That's disappointing.

Paff
08-09-2001, 05:20 PM
Yeah, Blow Out is coming (this month?) on DVD. Not a great Laserdisc, but miles better than VHS (and widescreen too!). I'm sure the DVD will blow the LD out of the water, but hey, I've been watching a damn nice widescreen edition of Blow Out for a couple of years now...

As far as Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the DVD DOES have the restored print. But according to Don May himself, after the print was restored, there were lines on the print due to glue seepage from original splicing tape. They went in and digitally removed those lines. However, the DVD does not have this digital line removal, only the LD does. Same print, it's just that the LD is cleaned up a little more.

Andrew
08-09-2001, 05:24 PM
Dave, what's the Encyclopedia of Horror? And why's it $110?

Dave
08-09-2001, 05:34 PM
I believe it's a huge documentary of some sort that covers many horror films. It's 4 discs, 8 sides - mighty impressive.

I'll post my initial impressions once I receive it, which should be this weekend.

$110 because it's a Japanese import, which are always expensive. It's a bit rare too.

Dave
08-10-2001, 10:30 PM
I received the package (Enc. of Horror) this morning, which is impressive given it shipped out of Tokyo on Monday morning. Beautiful box set! I love the artwork. The actual LD sleeves are the artwork, but it's high quality material - not the flimsy paper sleeves we're all used to. I'll definitely scan everything this weekend in preparation for the review, which I hope to post next week sometime.

I still have no idea what's on this. Like I said, I think it's a documentary of some sort. Truth be told, I bought it because of the gorgeous artwork. LD has always done that to me...

Anyway, I'm going to take a quick look at a few of the discs tonight. I'll post an update later.

skinnypuppy6
08-12-2001, 03:04 AM
what about the STARWARS definitive trilogycollectors box

Beastus
04-22-2002, 12:28 AM
DAVE:

Where's that review of the horror encyclopedia set? It's been quite a while:(

Dave
04-22-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Beastus
DAVE:

Where's that review of the horror encyclopedia set? It's been quite a while:(

Maybe in another month. I wanted to wait for my new LD player.