PDA

View Full Version : Frankenstein (1910)

rxfiend
05-13-2004, 02:06 AM
I didn't know this movie even existed until last week. After seeing a review on a website, i quickly searched the web to find a copy for sale. Fortunately CREEPY CLASSICS (http://www.creepyclassics.com) had one.
For those that do not know, this movie is the very first film of Frankenstein. It was released by Thomas Edison's company, believe it or not! The guy seemed to have his hand in everything! lol It's a short film, running about 13 minutes. It begins with Victor creating the monster. The creation of the monster is quite different than the Universal version and beyond. Here, the monster is created in a huge furnace. You see a skeleton and eventually it comes to life (looks like they had a dummy of the Monster, burned it and then played the footage backwards). A creation from scratch rather than an assembly of body parts. After the monster is created, you basically see it taunt and terrorize Victor and his wife. The ending is kind of odd, as the monster seems to disappear into a mirror (?!). An interesting film nevertheless and the monster looks rather unique; no flat head and electrodes here!
The DVD that this film is featured on is called MOVIES' FIRST MONSTERS. It was released by A.D. Ventures. Frankenstein 1910 was considered, for decades, as a lost film. It wasn't until Alois Dettlaff came publically with an original 35mm print, that we can now view this rather unique film! I believe A.D. Ventures is his own company, but not 100% sure. Since the film is only 13 minutes, it also features Nosferatu as well. This version of Nosferatu is ran at it's correct speed and is 82 minutes.
Video: Both films are presented full frame, with a border on all four sides. On a computer, the border looks rather large, but when viewed on a television, it's rather small. Frankenstein looks like it's been through hell, but it is quite watchable. Nosferatu looks pretty good, considering it's age. Not sure how it stands up to the Kino version as i've only seen bargain bin dvds of the film.
Audio: both films have music in LCM audio. I forget the composer's name off hand who did the music, but on frankenstein, it's alright. nothing great, but fits the movie. haven't watched all of nosferatu, so not sure how his music works with that film.
Extras: only extras are production notes on Frankenstein and Nosferatu. Nothing too extensive, but there is some interesting info in there.

Overall, i recommend this disc to silent film fans. Frankenstein isn't as good as other silent horror films, but it is historical as it presents the first time ever that Mary Shelly's story was brought to the movie screen. And of course, Nosferatu is by far the best vampire movie ever made! :D

dwatts
05-13-2004, 03:35 AM
Didn't McChrist buy this one - and review it?

mcchrist
05-13-2004, 03:45 AM
Yeah, I reviewed it a while back. The print of Nosferatu is a typical budget public domain print, they could do better than that.

The Joker
05-13-2004, 03:56 AM
any chance for a frankenstein screen shot? :)

The Joker
05-13-2004, 04:13 PM
I found this page with a few screens if anyone is interested....

theres also a clip! :)

http://www.kjenkins49.fsnet.co.uk/fr1910.htm

Shannafey
05-13-2004, 05:38 PM
This is a pretty cool dvd for fans of silents and film history in general. While not a "great" film, it's nice to see what the first filmic interpretation of Frankenstein looked like. The creation scene is pretty interesting. I was glad to get a copy of the film.

Lyle Horowitz
05-13-2004, 05:48 PM
I got this last April at the Chiller Show along with the book and the shirt that came with it. It's a nice collectors item, an interesting curio, but I'll never watch it again.

mcchrist
07-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Well, Dettlaff passed away:

http://www.filmthreat.com/News.asp?Id=2637

It's always sad news when someone goes, but... Well, you know.

I wonder if his full collection had been catalogued. Might be nice to find a snippet or tgwo of something.

MrVess
07-30-2005, 01:31 AM
Perhaps now someone will release the film without 57 "copyright" stamps in the corners.

Damed
07-31-2005, 02:55 PM
I've been trying to track this one down. Short of Ebay, I've had no luck whatsoever.

MrVess
07-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Dettlaff's DVD is sold by a number of online stores. The film can also be downloaded from a number of places, including a.b.m.h.

Horrorfan
07-31-2005, 08:16 PM
what is a.b.m.h.?

Damed
07-31-2005, 10:07 PM
Dettlaff's DVD is sold by a number of online stores. The film can also be downloaded from a number of places, including a.b.m.h.

Links?

The only place I have seen it is creepyclassics.com, and they want $10 to ship to Canada. Not sure if this film is worth $30US. ($20 plus the 10 shipping)

mcchrist
08-01-2005, 10:58 PM
It's not worth that much. It'll be a curiosity you'll be happy as hell to see, but have no need for it afterwards.

Shannafey
08-02-2005, 02:11 PM
It's not worth that much. It'll be a curiosity you'll be happy as hell to see, but have no need for it afterwards.

Like MC said!!!