PDA

View Full Version : Suncoast drops prices on hammer discs again

betterdan
07-29-2001, 05:09 AM
I went to Suncoast yesterday to see if they had any more titles for $9.99 and got a pleasent surprise. The discs are now priced at $4.99. I picked up the Reptile dvd yesterday. My girlfriend's son and I (he's 16) had a movie marathon last night until 9 a.m. and watched The Reptile, X The Man With X-Ray Eyes, Something Wicked This Way comes, Wasp Woman, the Giant Leeches (had to stop halfway thru and go out for doughnuts when we came back we agreed to forget Attack of the Giant Leeches it SUCKED hard) and finally The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The Reptile disc was bad and the video and sound skipped near the end so I took it back today and dammit there were no others left so I had to exchange it for The Johnsons. While there I also picked up Plague of the Zombies for $4.99. A while ago I was stilled pissed because I couldn't find another Reptile disc and they said they couldn't get any more at that price. I got a good idea and drove out to Va. Beach to the other Suncoast and damn they had 10 copies of The Reptile,10 of Plague of the Zombies, 10 of Vengeance of She, tons of the Johnsons, 10 or more of The Lost Continent, 10 or more of Rasputin the Mad Monk, 8 of tenderness of the wolves and more I forget right now. All were $4.99 each! Should I go back and get any more? I was late starting on the Hammer Discs but so far I love The Reptile and Lost Continent and have yet to watch Plague of the Zombies. Sorry to ramble on but this is an incredible deal just look up how much others are selling these discs for and you will know what I mean. Please post any suggestions on what i should pick up.
Thanks

carl.kolchak
07-29-2001, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the info <b> betterdan</b>!!! :cool: I don't have a Suncoast in my area but I called one and they are going to ship several discs I need for $4.99 each + $3.00 shipping! :)

If you liked The Lost Continent and The Reptile these 4 are a steal at $4.99 if you don't have them :D

Dracula Prince of Darkness
Quatermass and the Pit
Rasputin (16x9)
Prehistoric Women

betterdan
07-30-2001, 10:49 AM
Alright dammit I found some problems with these discounted discs. First I never completely watched Lost continent and finally did and found out about 45 minutes into it the video breaks up and pixellizes like a dirty disc. I also found out my Reptile and Plague of the Zombies does this too. I returned reptile once for this problem and still happens on this disc. I returned the Johnsons because of video breaking up and not being able to navigate the extras menu but the second disc does it too. Is there a damn problem with these discs as all the hammer discs have the exact same problem and in the same spots and the Johnsons has the same problem on 2 discs I've tried. Does anyone have the same problems on these discs? I wanna know if it's just my player or maybe these cheap discs are defective and suncoast is just reselling returned discs repacked and at a discount. DAMN it to hell this pisses me off I really wanted these movies to work correctly like they are supposed to and I'm sick of returning them.

mutleyhyde
07-30-2001, 04:25 PM
Dan, these discs are in fact coming from Anchor Bay, marked "Super Buy" on the back, kind of like record cut-outs of old. My Witches disc does the pixel dance, but it wasn't a "Super Buy". I think I remember my Reptile, which is a Super Buy, did pixel briefly, but continued. I know I could use a better player, as mine is the infamous Panasonic A110. I've recently watched Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires and had no trouble. I guess this gives me good reason to watch all of my Hammer discs again to check for deterioration. I for one do not believe in dvd rot, but am more than willing to do quality control by watching more Hammer! :D

Hammicus
07-31-2001, 12:46 AM
Okay, that's it, I've had enough, please stop teasing the bargain bin challenged, I don't know if i'm the only Canadian reader out there, but it's depressing, I'd love to pick up these Hammer DVD's so cheaply. Stores here just leave them at full price $30 + tax untill they sell out. Having bought all the VHS tapes before I became DVD aware, it's just not an option to pay $30 plus for DVD's if they don't have a comentary or something specail.

Anyone one out there willing to help out the Bargain Bin Challenged.

BBC
James

mutleyhyde
07-31-2001, 02:29 AM
Hammy - yes, most AB Hammers are skimpy on the extras, but both Dracula, Prince of Darkness and Rasputin, The Maaaaad Monk have great commentaries with Chris Lee, Barbara Shelley, Suzan Farmer, and Francis Matthews. Dracula POD even has a home movie shot on the set, I believe shot by Francis Matthews, or maybe it was his brother - can't remember off the top of my head.

Hammicus
07-31-2001, 03:04 AM
Mutley,

Yep, I picked up most of the AB DVD's that offered something my AB VHS didn't.

The AB DVD's I did break down and buy are -
Rasputin
Quatermass & The Pit
Dracula POD
AB Snowman
&
Devil Rides Out

I belive Quatermass 2 also has a comentary, but i've never been able to find it in my area. The Reptile, P Zombies and Lost Con are also on my list of wants for DVD, just because there some of my favorites. I'd probably buy all the AB DVD's I have on AB VHS again, if I walked into the local WAL Mart found them for 9.99 and under.

Oh well time to movie to the U.S. I guess, maybe I could try Suncoast.com, do they sale them at the disount price on line, I'd probably get nailed by customs though, making the whole point mute.

James

betterdan
08-16-2001, 03:07 AM
Ok all my hammer discs and others are playing great again. I have had some problems with bad pixellation on discs the last month or so but only on anchor bay discs and on my fight club disc also. I tried cleaning them but still I had the problems. I finally got pissed and took some problem dvds to circuit shitty to try playing them on a dvd player there. I knew my panasonic A310 wasn't the best but it had always played every disc i had and also only a few were pixellizing so I really doubted that the player was the cause. I put them in a cheap Apex and they all worked flawlessly even my Substance Cannibal Holocaust bootleg dvd that used to skip badly on my old player. I was so happy (well almost, I did have to buy a newer player afterall) that my discs were ok. I ended up buying a Panasonic CV51 5 disc changer because the video looked the best out of all and the sound was equal to the others. I love my new dvd player and it plays cdr/cdrw and mp3s as well. If anyone is having pixellation problems even if it isn't on all discs I suggest trying your discs out with a friends dvd player or take it to an electronic store and try them out after cleaning them that is. Sorry to ramble on but I'm so happy and can go back to adding to my 267 dvd collection again. I started hating dvds when I was having this problem thinking something like laser rot were destroying my dvds but it was just my crummy player.

mutleyhyde
08-16-2001, 09:43 AM
So you had a shitty Panasonic... and bought another Panasonic? I don't get it. Don't get me wrong, I like Panasonic, but their first few generation players are problematic. I'd like to stick with them, but I want to hear that they've worked the bugs out of their players first. And yeah, the five disc turntable is very tempting. Anybody heard any market feedback on the new players?

betterdan
08-16-2001, 04:32 PM
You can check out reviews at www.audioreview.com
I didn't see any reviews for the cv51 but it looks like only their older players had problems. I can take it back in 30 days if I don't like it plus I got a 3 year warranty so I feel good about my purchase. I was kinda worried about it since I had problems with the other Panasonic but this one seems to work great (so far) and Panasonic has about the best picture quality out of all dvd players so I will give them another chance.

mutleyhyde
08-16-2001, 07:41 PM
Cool, I'll check that out Dan. Like I said, I want to stick with Panasonic, as They're owned by Matsushita, who owns Technics, a company I've supported for over 20 years. And, Matsushita products are about the only Japanese products still made in Japan. Don't ask me why, but I'm pretty hung up on that. I'll check the reviews on the CV51; that just may be my next player. :)

MattBenn8
08-22-2001, 06:08 PM
Hey betterdan. I'm from Newport News. I was just wondering, did you say that you got Something Wicked This Way Comes as a 'super buy' from Suncoast? If that's right could you tell me which one? I just picked up The Reptile, Lost Continent and Plague of Zombies from the one at Greenbriar Mall but they didn't have SWTWC or Dracula POD. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Matt

betterdan
08-22-2001, 09:48 PM
I got it at the one in Chesapeake Square Mall. I went there the other day and no $4.99 or $9.99 discs were left :( You might try the Lynnhaven mall in Va. Beach though I think they had some.