PDA

View Full Version : Cat in the Brain - Image's release pulled?

dotgain37
07-29-2001, 10:11 PM
Anyone who knows what happend to Image's release of Fulci's Cat in the Brain?

It was supposed to be released on august 21 this year, then it got pushed forward (no new date set, just TBA) and now it's gone from their site... :confused:

bruce h
07-30-2001, 06:10 AM
They were issued a Cease And Desist order due to a rights dispute. Don't worry, Grindhouse's DVD of the title will blow away what Image had planned.

jak
07-30-2001, 06:40 AM
Great! Grindhouse rocks! jak

napalm68
07-30-2001, 12:23 PM
FUCK. I have a preorder for it at amazon, and if I cancel the part of the order for Cat in the Brain, I'll loose my $10 promo GC :(

ScaryMovieFreak
07-30-2001, 03:10 PM
I heard that it wasn't going to be in English. Just English subtitles. Maybe the new Grindhouse DVD will be in English. :)

skinnypuppy6
07-31-2001, 03:41 AM
FUCK ME when is grindhouse going to release Cat In The Brain?

Werner Von Wallenrod
07-31-2001, 06:51 AM
Does Grindhouse have an official site?

Jason25
07-31-2001, 08:55 AM
I know Grindhouse will do an excellent job, but I hope we don't have to wait too long. I want this disc badly.

piggwinn
07-31-2001, 04:48 PM
I own the Sazuma disc of Ferox, but after all the praise the Grindhouse disc has had, I dicided to take a stab and pick it up.
I was horrified when I saw the picture quality, piss poor compared to the Sazuma disc. Not only is it not anamorphic, which I knew before I bought it, the print used is grainy and the picture is dark and slightly fuzzy. The extras are excellent, but the poor quality pissed me off no end.
I am serious about my Home Cinema, so I have decent equipment to make these comparisons, and a bigish tv (36" WS).
Anyone who has been put off buying the Sazuma disc, and wants Ferox from a superior print and properly re-mastered don't hesitate upgrading, you will be amazed at the difference.

skinnypuppy6
08-01-2001, 02:00 AM
I heard the Sazuma disc of Ferox is fucked up thats why they are going so cheap now i have the grindhouse disc but if the print is better on the sazuma disc i might have to get it

piggwinn
08-01-2001, 02:26 PM
The fuckup with the disc is fine if you have or plan to get a widescreen tv. It is anamorphic, and only has display ratio problems on 4:3 tv's. I would certainly upgrade if the above criteria suits you, you won't be dissapointed, It really is that much better.

dlundh
08-01-2001, 02:58 PM
You can only get the "flawed" Sazuma disc by special order. The remastered disc does not have the problem and is what they send to customers now (when they DO send something, their service is, shall we say, lacking).

(I haven't seen any other versions so I can't add anything to that :))

mgfred
08-01-2001, 09:05 PM
I am inclined to believe that Grindhouse is responsible for Image pulling Cat In The Brain. I have the laserdisk and it is put out by Box Office Spectaculars which is owned by the same people who own Grindhouse. FYI this was a numbered 500 only limited edition and is available at either http://www.blackestheart.com or ebay if you're lucky.

Strange that Grindhouse isn't releasing this one through Image like they did with Cannibal Ferox.

bruce h
08-03-2001, 02:16 AM
Grindhouse are exactly why Image pulled their release, read my above post.

it's going to be a while before the Grindhouse disc is out, because there's now basically a legal battle going on, and the rights are tied up.

they're not doing it through Image because Image gave them a lot of shit for the content of Cannibal Ferox. certain people at Image were offended by the content of the film.

jak
08-03-2001, 02:35 AM
Makes sense that Image would, since they cut out thatBJ scene in Franco's Female Vampire. But what company is Grindhouse looking for to release their upcoming discs? I would personelly hope for Synapse since they always do great jobs on their discs as well as Grindhouse. The only thing I hated about The Beyond disc is the fact that Anchor Bay likes to make it seem like they did the work. Which I've seen many people say something like "Wow Anchor Bay did a killer job on the extra's!" which is total bullshit. But whatever company Grindhouse makes a deal with you can bet your ass I'll buy the disc! jak

bruce h
08-03-2001, 03:06 AM
the last time i talked to Bob about it he said they plan on doing the discs themselves. i was wanting to do them, but so far it looks like my company may be going through Image, who sure as hell wouldn't touch stuff like Cannibal Holocaust...

as for Synapse - we won't see that one happen due to some personal bad blood stemming from the whole Van Bebber debacle.

jak
08-03-2001, 06:02 AM
So Grindhouse is doing their films by themselves now? No other company's help? Well I wish em luck with it, and I wish you luck with your company bruce you can be shure I'll be one of your customers ;) . And whats with the Van Bebber debacle? jak

The Chaostar
08-04-2001, 01:43 AM
Van Bebber is a great artist but after everything he said about Don May, all I can say is that as a person he is a joke.
Really, the disc looks more than great after the s**t material he gave Don for transfering and makes the film looking much better than it probably deserved.

I had a small contact with Don May when he provided me a dvd of Triumph Of Will to review for the magazines I write for in Greece and I was really impressed of how friendly and proffesional he was.

mac-hammer-fan
08-07-2001, 08:10 AM
The Image DVD would have been cut anyway.
The running time was only 84 minutes instead of 87 minutes.

Rene
08-07-2001, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by mac-hammer-fan
The Image DVD would have been cut anyway.
The running time was only 84 minutes instead of 87 minutes.

If Image was going to release the Italian version then the shorter running time is probably because of the different ending. Itīs much shorter and changes the meaning, no "Happy End" like in the English version.

crank
08-08-2001, 12:53 PM
It wasn't really a "Happy Ending" It was the ending that Fulci originally intended. He didn't want it to seem that he was psycho the whole time, that would of fucked up his whole meaning for the film. He was trying to make it a true "film within a film" thing (before that was a trend).

crank

Jason25
08-08-2001, 07:16 PM
Anyone else get an e-mail from Amazon that stated you could preorder Cat in the Brain for $18.74 and that it is coming out on the 21st? Check this link out:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005M209/ref%3Dmk%5Fpb%5Fvwv/002-9823275-6346448

Wonder if Amazon is just confused here.

Mark Relford
08-09-2001, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Jason25
Anyone else get an e-mail from Amazon that stated you could preorder Cat in the Brain for $18.74 and that it is coming out on the 21st?

I did. What's up with that?

Jason25
08-09-2001, 02:11 AM
I e-mailed Amazon, but i doubt that will help any. I really really want this on dvd soon.

betterdan
08-09-2001, 02:41 AM
I got the same email.

Dave
08-09-2001, 06:36 PM
All Image would tell me is that it has at least been delayed...

Maybe they're further negotiating...

crank
08-09-2001, 11:39 PM
Here's hoping that they'll just release the Grindhouse disc.

crank

Andrew
08-10-2001, 05:15 AM
I've been ignoring this thread for awhile, but last night I saw the trailer for it on The Beyond DVD, and now I want a damn Image disc!

Jason25
08-10-2001, 08:11 AM
Dave, thanks for the info. Of all the many great releases coming out this month and next, this was near the top of my list. I may need to pick up the ld to keep me occupied until it gets a dvd release.

Werner Von Wallenrod
08-15-2001, 01:04 AM
I dunno... Amazon has the Image Euroshock artwork up, and Reel just put it in their coming soon info... I think it's really comin' out.

bruce h
08-15-2001, 01:32 AM
"I think it's really comin' out."

Do you really think Image would risk a bigtime lawsuit over a relatively small run obscure Euro title? Use your head. It makes absolutely NO business sense whatsoever.

Trout
08-15-2001, 02:11 AM
Didn't the Image disc have very little in terms of extras? Trailer only type deal?