PDA

View Full Version : Argento/Fulci

keith70
07-30-2001, 01:02 AM
I'm pretty new to the Italian horror scene and was wondering what everyone considers to be the best from Fulci and Argento.
From Argento I have seen Deep Red & Suspiria. From Fulci, I have seen Zombie & The Beyond. Besides these four films, what would you recommend from the directors? I own the Beyond & am getting anxious about that Suspira set.

Also, what's a good Bava film? I've seen Lisa and the Devil. Sorry, but I thought it sucked big time. And yes, it was uncut. The only other Bava film I've seen is Danger Diabolik!(Non-horror).

ScaryMovieFreak
07-30-2001, 01:32 AM
I'm not an Argento fan so I can't help you on him.

Lucio Fulci is probably one of my favorite directors. You should also check out his films, "New York Ripper," "City of the Living Dead" aka "Gates of Hell." "House by the Cemetery," and "Don't Torture a Duckling."

As for Mario Bava, I have only seen one of his movies and that is "Blood and Black Lace." It was a pretty good one and is the first body count horror movie. Very original. Another one that I've heard is good is "Bay of Blood" aka "Twitch of the Death Nerve." But I've never seen it.

Andrew
07-30-2001, 02:02 AM
OK, Argento.

Easily one of my favorite directors. Definitely check out The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Tenebre, Cat O' Nine Tales, and Phenomena.

I know next to nothing about Fulci's films. I have the Beyond and Zombie, same as you. I'm eager to see City of the Living Dead and House by the Cemetery, which I'm told are quite good.

Bava is great. Check out Blood and Black Lace, The Whip and the Body, and Twitch of the Death Nerve.

Also, if you're just getting into Italian horror, look for Michele Soavi's Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetery Man in US). I love it, although I don't understand the ending.

dlundh
07-30-2001, 08:13 AM
I second the motion for Tenebre and Phenomena.
They are among the best movies made during the 80s (Tenebre is my absolute favorite of Argentos movies, I love it to death.).

mcchrist
07-31-2001, 01:12 AM
I've never been a big fan of Fulci, but you really can't go wrong with the one's you've seen, the others I don't think are all that great. Go for his westerns, Cat in the Brain, Black Cat, and whenever it comes out La Porte del Silenzio (Door to Silence, my personal favorite)

Argento is a small god of mine, Tenebre and Opera are my choices. (Suspiria is a true epic to me, in fact most of his films are. Seek them out, avoid Phantom of the Opera)

skinnypuppy6
07-31-2001, 02:38 AM
AS FOR ARGENTO TENEBRE AND PHENOMENA FULCI THE CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD AND NEW YORK RIPPER YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK OUT BAVA'S TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE(IMAGE) BUT DON'T BUY THE "BAY OF BLOOD" DISC OH YEH! UMBERTO LENZI'S CANNIBAL FEROX IS A MUST HAVE AND DEODATO'S CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST IF YOU CAN FIND IT ON DVD AT A GOOD PRICE (I HAVE THE LASER DISC)

keith70
07-31-2001, 06:06 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to order Deep Red and Phenomena this week. I'll probably get Tenebre soon after. The Suspiria DVD is a must. If Tenebre and Phenomena impress me as much as Deep Red and Suspiria, than I'm going to buy all of Argento's dvds. When I have the money of course. Suspiria has become one of my favorite films ever. I'll probably even get Phantom of the Opera, just to see why everyone is complaining about it so much. By the way, does any one like Argento's Phantom of the Opera? Or at least have one good thing to say about it?

AceRimRat
07-31-2001, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by keith70
By the way, does any one like Argento's Phantom of the Opera? Or at least have one good thing to say about it?

At least Julian Sands can find work?

Hellbilly
07-31-2001, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by keith70
I'm pretty new to the Italian horror scene and was wondering what everyone considers to be the best from Fulci and Argento.
From Argento I have seen Deep Red & Suspiria. From Fulci, I have seen Zombie & The Beyond. Besides these four films, what would you recommend from the directors? I own the Beyond & am getting anxious about that Suspira set.

Also, what's a good Bava film? I've seen Lisa and the Devil. Sorry, but I thought it sucked big time. And yes, it was uncut. The only other Bava film I've seen is Danger Diabolik!(Non-horror).

Here is another Mario Bava Film, highly recommented:
"SHOCK". I was surprised how well made this Haunted/Possessed/Ghost-Flick was.
If i wouldnt know it better i would say that thats were M. Night Shyamalan got his "inspiration" for the "Sixth Sense".

skinnypuppy6
08-01-2001, 12:54 AM
argento's Opera is worth 10.00 i liked it but i should say its my least fave argento film i would rank it with wax mask if youve seen that im not much a fan of period piece films

Mattster
08-01-2001, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by skinnypuppy6
argento's Opera is worth 10.00 i liked it but i should say its my least fave argento film i would rank it with wax mask if youve seen that im not much a fan of period piece films

What would you say is his best?

skinnypuppy6
08-01-2001, 04:51 AM
Tenebre and phenomena are my favs maybe du to the violence

napalm68
08-01-2001, 11:58 AM
Fulci - City of the Living Dead and New York Ripper are great. Everyone I know who see Beyond gets so pissed off with it. Especially the idiot not figuring out headshots are lethal to zombies.

Argento - I like them all, with the exception of Inferno. The horrific score by keith emerson really grates on my nerves. It is horrible, horrible, horrible. Deep Red is my favorite of those I have seen.

piggwinn
08-01-2001, 01:37 PM
Top three recommendations:

FULCI
Zombie
House by the Cemetery
Don't Torture a Duckling

ARGENTO
Tenebre
Inferno
Deep Red

BAVA
Black Sunday
Black Sabbath
Rabid Dogs

skinnypuppy6
08-02-2001, 12:52 AM
"Everyone I know who see Beyond gets so pissed off with it. Especially the idiot not figuring out headshots are lethal to zombies." it allways takes a while to figure out how to kill zombies in the movies (i guess they havnt seen a zombie flick) but the beyond is awesome!!!